Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on getting dye out!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I just noticed in my car that my Aero half-belt has been transferring dye onto my leather seats in my car.

I tried scrubbing, but it seems to do no good. Any suggestions?

IMG_3408.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
White spirit/rubbing alcohol (it's called Spiritus in Germany) will do the trick without damaging the leather or its spray finish. Don't use lighter fuel or paint thinner unless you like the white parts of your seat to have an all-natural suedy finish...
Use a clean lint free cotton cloth (old t-shirt) and only gentle pressure. The discolouration should come right off.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I knew I could count on the German to know how to take care of German car interiors!

Thanks Jan! The rubbing alcohol worked and the spray finish looks fine. Before the alcohol, I tried Lexol, Bick's, Griot's, etc and none of them did anything!

For those of you with FQHH jackets, be careful of the dye!

Peacoat

Bartender
Is this a common thing with Aero jackets? :eeek:

Although I have had no problems with my Cordovan finish Highwayman, I have heard of others on the Lounge who have had the problem. Aero says it is caused by treatment with leather conditioners, but several here say they put nothing on their jackets and still had the problem. The Cordovan finish seems to be the most likely culprit in these "bleeding" cases.

High and Dry, what color is your Aero?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
A label inside the jacket reads, "This garment has been manufactured from Horsehide using the original 1920's tanning process. Originally a workwear material and as such may experience color loss from time to time."

My jacket has not been conditioned and it's black.

@Jan, it's a Porsche.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Although I have had no problems with my Cordovan finish Highwayman, I have heard of others on the Lounge who have had the problem. Aero says it is caused by treatment with leather conditioners, but several here say they put nothing on their jackets and still had the problem. The Cordovan finish seems to be the most likely culprit in these "bleeding" cases.

A label inside the jacket reads, "This garment has been manufactured from Horsehide using the original 1920's tanning process. Originally a workwear material and as such may experience color loss from time to time."

I never saw a leather jacket that bled like that. Maybe it is an issue Aero should fix.

Color bleeding from my experience seems to be rare and so when it happens these days, it is always a surprise.

There maybe a number of variables as to why it happens, the problem is if they change the process for dyeing and tanning they may lose their authenticity and the purists are likely to get upset.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I was also surprised of the amount of bleeding, but I guess it makes sense given how much the jacket "ages" in just a month or two. It loses that shininess of the leather and the leather starts to marble very quickly. Most likely the loss of dye contributes to both these attributes.

e8854b1e.jpg

Similar to selvedge jeans. Initially, my Iron Heart jeans bled like a stuck pig and left blue dye everywhere. It's that loss of dye which gives the jeans the contrasts.

@ Jan, yes I wish we had an autobahn! The only high speed thrills in the States (at least in Seattle) are on the track and that can get expensive and dangerous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner