Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help w/ G-1

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Hi; I just picked up this G-1-1973-35th Anniversary.
100% Leather,in good shape. I am hoping its Horsehide.Can anyone tell me,it feels stiffer than cowhide?[huh]
Value?
IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Last edited:

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure about the leather used and the value, but that is not an issue item, but more of a G-1-ish fashion jacket.
Issue G-1 should come in goatskin..

Loks to be goat like most Avirex of that genre. Agree with bentusian - looks like one of the Avirex fashion pieces. Still great jackets, just not repro in any real sense.

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Great, thanks for the feedback. It seems like a very heavy leather, Goatskin it is. I should get some wear out of it.
Good shape for 38 years .;) Nice novelty item

Last edited:

dilbert123

New in Town
Nice looking jacket, but it's not a G-1 (despite the label). It appears to be an ANJ-3 reproduction which is very similar to the G-1 with the bi-swing back and buttoned flap pockets on the front like the G-1. The G-1 would have a mouton collar, however and would not have the seam on the arm that is visible in the first photo. The early G-1's were made of goatskin and it has a "pebbly" look to the finish. The smoothness of your jacket would mean it is either cowhide or horsehide, and I would guess cowhide from its looks. The current-issue G-1's of the U S Navy (since around 1972) are a mix of cowhide (most common) and some models were goatskin. The collars at this time also switched from mouton to a synthetic.

The ANJ-3 was a wonderful jacket and was originally brought out in 1943 and was to be the replacement for the A-2. There were some made and issued to Army pilots but it was quickly superseded by the B-10, a cloth jacket, then the B-15 which had a long life and went on to be issued in nylon after the war. I think the ANJ-3 was one of the best looking jackets made for flying. Yours appears to be very well made with thick hides and should be very comfortable.

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Thanks Dilbert;
I think your right about the hide, I will get it checked out at a hide shop now, for sure.
I was thinking Horse hide, because how thick it is, and the sheen. ANJ-3 very nice.
You have made me Happy:D
Seems these can be had at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
I've got very thick and smooth goat Avirex. Not saying 100% it's not horse, but based on the ones I have from the 90's, it looks similar (as much as pix can)
Either way, is a nice jacket.

See this page. I think you're right on the ANJ3, AKA G2.

http://www.uswings.com/g-2.asp

Nice looking jacket, but it's not a G-1 (despite the label). It appears to be an ANJ-3 reproduction which is very similar to the G-1 with the bi-swing back and buttoned flap pockets on the front like the G-1. The G-1 would have a mouton collar, however and would not have the seam on the arm that is visible in the first photo. The early G-1's were made of goatskin and it has a "pebbly" look to the finish. The smoothness of your jacket would mean it is either cowhide or horsehide, and I would guess cowhide from its looks. The current-issue G-1's of the U S Navy (since around 1972) are a mix of cowhide (most common) and some models were goatskin. The collars at this time also switched from mouton to a synthetic.

The ANJ-3 was a wonderful jacket and was originally brought out in 1943 and was to be the replacement for the A-2. There were some made and issued to Army pilots but it was quickly superseded by the B-10, a cloth jacket, then the B-15 which had a long life and went on to be issued in nylon after the war. I think the ANJ-3 was one of the best looking jackets made for flying. Yours appears to be very well made with thick hides and should be very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic