Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marzony

New in Town
Are you looking for a custom hat in that color or are you looking for a production hat?
Whichever is closer. I have one custom by Optimo, which is in style (Dearborn) close to the one in pictures but the felt is slightly darker-grey. I don't think they have in their current selection this felt I am looking for.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whichever is closer. I have one custom by Optimo, which is in style (Dearborn) close to the one in pictures but the felt is slightly darker-grey. I don't think they have in their current selection this felt I am looking for.
I would think that for the money one spends at Optimo if you went to them with your wishes they could send you small swatches of the felt they offer. That is the only way you will get an idea and even then it is fraught with difficulties as a pounced felt will usually be different than the unworked swatch. I have a dove grey and a blue smoke from Art and it doesn't look anything like the pics you show. They both have strong blue tones to them. The Akubra Moonstone also has strong blue tones.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking for your guidance on precise definition of the grey color in the picture below.

After searching and going through some threads on color comparisons here in TFL, I think the felt color in the pictures is light-medium grey. Reminds me of Whippet caribou gray or Art Fawcett Blue Smoke.

Last time I got medium-dark grey hat when I used these pictures to order my hat (which I don't think it is). Now I am about to order another hat, and want precise definition of the colour of this hat to ”get it right”.

If somebody thinks that he or she has a hat in this colour, pictures are welcome.

The picture collection is from a movie Party Girl (1958), if that matters. View attachment 437885
My blue Smoke from Art. Over 10 years of mileage on it. You can see how different the colour looks between full sun and shade. In the shade this felt developed a purple Hugh over the years as well. I love it but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea,
C3F902C4-637A-4056-B99B-D66CE337A7C6.jpeg

B7DD8164-B3DB-4CD1-8A32-32610844E322.jpeg

D3198330-7D33-4EDC-ADCA-D20E3FA67E1D.jpeg

Last edited:

marzony

New in Town
Thanks for clearing these things up. In this thread/post there is a Fawcett Steel -felt and Fawcett Blue Smoke -felt side-by-side comparison. The earlier medium-dark grey from Optimo I have looks very much like the Steel on the left side (felts share even the same name.) The Blue Smoke is certainly closer to the one I was looking for.
steel-bluesmoke.JPG

Since no two people have exactly the same color vision, and computer and cell phone screens are notoriously imprecise, I think you may be heading into a frustrating experience.

I sure hope it turns out to be what you want in the end.
My wife and I agree on most things...thankfully.....but one area of contention is we see colour very differently. I am right and she is wrong but suprisingly she does not agree. Blues and greens are particularly contentious. I see blue while she sees green.

Who?

Practically Family
My wife and I agree on most things...thankfully.....but one area of contention is we see colour very differently. I am right and she is wrong but suprisingly she does not agree. Blues and greens are particularly contentious. I see blue while she sees green.
We have the very same difference In our color perception. I’m not sure offhand which of us sees which color, but that is definitely a troublesome part of the spectrum for many.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Could you block it up the two sizes without disturbing the brim curl or would you have to add that in again after the blocking?
I can save it. I've done it before on Homburg conversions to where I actually had to remove the ribbon and iron out the curl. Also on this Knox Western that I refurbished. I reblocked it and was easily able to save the kettle curl.
Before:
IMG-20210218-065126746.jpg

After:
IMG-20210218-094529343.jpg

Knox-Stagecoach-14-A.jpg

I believe I can save the curl on that one rather easy.

Mike Rohloff

New in Town
Can someone help me identify this hat and help me provide a value? I love it and can’t wait to wear it, but I’m curious on what is might be worth. Any ideas?

Thanks so much if you can help.

Mike

Attachments

• DB415FFB-6A13-4B82-BA5A-E28624D92640.jpeg
    DB415FFB-6A13-4B82-BA5A-E28624D92640.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • 7B16F84C-3C4F-4D46-81C3-7144573056BC.jpeg
    7B16F84C-3C4F-4D46-81C3-7144573056BC.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 1BFC3151-B7CA-4883-A1D2-4E9A79DA01F5.jpeg
    1BFC3151-B7CA-4883-A1D2-4E9A79DA01F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • BAAAB7E2-E28B-406E-9EFE-EFFEAC5E34D2.jpeg
    BAAAB7E2-E28B-406E-9EFE-EFFEAC5E34D2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
Someone else might be able to help identify it. From the crown, it looks to have thicker felt of a kind found more frequently on newer hats. The felt actually reminds me of a modern western converted to a fedora. We don’t normally do valuations here.

Someone else might be able to help identify it. From the crown, it looks to have thicker felt of a kind found more frequently on newer hats. The felt actually reminds me of a modern western converted to a fedora. We don’t normally do valuations here.
Yes, the value is likely whatever amount was paid for it. In that you valued it enough to make the exchange of money for this hat.

dr greg

One Too Many
Lots of fedoras have raw edge brims and tall crowns. It looks to be a nice fedora to me.
sitting next to a Stetson Whippet or a vintage Akubra it just looks different, I've bought sold and owned a LOT of hats in the last 40+ years and I never saw one exactly like it before, i thought it might be some obscure English style

When I look at the photos all I see is a common proportioned 1930s style fedora. Very different from a Whippet and similar hats, but nothing uncommon.

Spend some time in the pre-1940s dress hat threads (Stetson and other than Stetson) and you’ll see several similar hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails