Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SharonS

New in Town
Baron is an LA/Hollywood hatter that has been around a while....since 1989 or 1990. 1995 saw the business sold to new owners. They have a website. If there are any labels under the leather sweat to identify the hat a phone call to Baron and they might help you date it.
I did ask Baron as I live in Los Angeles. The person I spoke to said it wasn’t one of theirs. I have had restorations done by them before. Will be using them, in any event, if the hat is good enough to do so. Thank you for your reply.

I did ask Baron as I live in Los Angeles. The person I spoke to said it wasn’t one of theirs. I have had restorations done by them before. Will be using them, in any event, if the hat is good enough to do so. Thank you for your reply.
I don't know of any other Baron Hats. An imposter hat perhaps???

SharonS

New in Town
I don't know of any other Baron Hats. An imposter hat perhaps???
Just don’t know. Although in fairly good condition, the hat looks older to me. The label looks period too, and not like current Baron label. Is it possible there was a Baron Hats that did custom work some decades ago, in CA?

Just don’t know. Although in fairly good condition, the hat looks older to me. The label looks period too, and not like current Baron label. Is it possible there was a Baron Hats that did custom work some decades ago, in CA?

Are there any tags behind the sweatband?

If it's too stiff, don't check

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Hi, I was given this hat a while ago by a well travelled (and well off) friend. I'm in the UK and haven't a clue what particular hat it is.
sadly it's too small for me as I'm a size 59/60 or so.
(I'd like to sell it on eBay but have no idea if it's value or what it is called!!).
it's great quality. Gutted it's too small really as it's finer than my Linney Fedora I have.

Many thanks for your help! (First post too).
It is just an "Imperial." Made in the UK. It doesn't have a model name other than that. Imperial was the quality point and was more expensive than the regular "Royal" and "De Luxe."

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the very same Baron Hats did custom work before they got full of themselves and started charging like their hats were made from Vicuna wool. :rolleyes:

DW1

New in Town
Was wondering if anyone could tell me about my father's hat. What type was it? When was it made? I never saw him wear it. He never lived or traveled to New York but he did live in Brawley, CA (near El centro) when he was younger.

Any info would be nice to hear after all these years.

Attachments

• 20230528_090743.jpg
    20230528_090743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230528_090802.jpg
    20230528_090802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230528_090804.jpg
    20230528_090804.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20230528_090816.jpg
    20230528_090816.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230528_090825.jpg
    20230528_090825.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 54

Mighty44

One Too Many
I am far from an expert but can tell you that the Knox Vagabond is a well known and very classic lid and your dad’s looks like a really nice example. This particular version is a thin ribbon similar to a Stetson Stratoliner. I would think 1940s based on the sweatband but others here will know more. Very few of these old hats are super valuable—I would guess this would sell for $150-$250 on EBay. But holy smokes, it’s your dad’s hat and it’s a beauty! I hope it fits you and you get the pleasure of wearing it.

Cheers,

David

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That looks almost new. Yes, the Vagabond is a sought after model. You have an excellent example.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me about my father's hat. What type was it? When was it made? I never saw him wear it. He never lived or traveled to New York but he did live in Brawley, CA (near El centro) when he was younger.

Any info would be nice to hear after all these years.

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
Hello all. I just picked this up on flea bay for $153, including shipping and tax. It arrived in the mail today, it is in very nice condition and appears to be open crown with a shape added by the original owner, but I could be wrong. I have included the photos from the seller. The seller listed this as a "Stetson 3X Beaver", I'm assuming because this is what is on the sweat band. There is no actual model name on the sweat band and no info tag behind the sweat band. From comparing the size tag to photos and info in a different thread on this forum, I'm guessing this hat might have been made in the 1970s or 1980s. I looked into the Stud Frontier Shop in Newington CT and found it is no longer in business. An internet search revealed nothing about the shop except for one news article in 1999 that quoted someone from the store, so it was in business at that time anyway.

I have these questions: Is this hat an Open Road? What is the approximate year of manufacture?

Attachments

• OPEN ROAD Vintage 1.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 1.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 2.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 3.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 3.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 5.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 5.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 4.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 4.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 6.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 6.PNG
    758.6 KB · Views: 49
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 7.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 7.PNG
    657.1 KB · Views: 51
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 8.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 8.PNG
    681.2 KB · Views: 50
  • OPEN ROAD Vintage 10.PNG
    OPEN ROAD Vintage 10.PNG
    844.8 KB · Views: 56

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, we have divided opinions on whether or not it 'counts' if it doesn't say Open Road. I tend to be in the 'has to say it' camp, but at the same time my Stetson 100 doesn't say Open Road anywhere, but the tag does. So you see the issue.

My initial impression on this one is not an OR. Mainly because the brim is at 2.5". I can't swear that there was never a 2.5" brim, but the OR is usually 2.75". The flange looks a bit deeper too.

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
Well, we have divided opinions on whether or not it 'counts' if it doesn't say Open Road. I tend to be in the 'has to say it' camp, but at the same time my Stetson 100 doesn't say Open Road anywhere, but the tag does. So you see the issue.

My initial impression on this one is not an OR. Mainly because the brim is at 2.5". I can't swear that there was never a 2.5" brim, but the OR is usually 2.75". The flange looks a bit deeper too.
So it could be some kind of non-specific Stetson that is kind of Open Roadish/Stratolinerish?

fuzzyowl

New in Town
Hi folks! My friend found this hat but I'm wondering what era it may be from. Sweatband looks reeded.. any pointers? Cheers!

received_247828771214929.jpeg

Attachments

• received_190645233565372.jpeg
    received_190645233565372.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • received_207476445495474.jpeg
    received_207476445495474.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member