Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help!

tudo

New in Town
Hello everyone , I'm new to forum but have been visiting for a while .What I am after is some advice, I'm looking for a decent hard wearing leather jacket for working in and for everyday use,can anyone recommend anything?:)
I work outside in the forestry / agricultural industry .(I'm only 5'7" so anything long wouldnt be much good for me;) )
Many thanks T
P.S I like the 40's and 50's styling if that helps.?

tudo

New in Town
I really like the half belts and the highwayman styles that Aero do and was wondering if any body who owned one could tell me if they would be a pratical work coat as well as being quite stylish.Any commoents would be gratefully recieved.Many thank's T:)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum tudo. There are loads of threads in this section of the forum on different jackets, with useful evaluations. Perhaps if you browse them you will have a clearer idea what sort of jacket you might buy.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Highwayman in the chrome tanned cowhide. The water just rolls off of it. Don't know that the same result would be true with the vegetable tanned leather. I bought it for motorcycle riding, and it has been a good choice.

tudo

New in Town
Thanks for reply BK I have used wool before,I just wanted something a "little" different.
Peacoat, I really like the look of highwayman.Can you tell me please,once it is broken in does it still retain its waterproofness and does become flexible enough for unrestricted movement.i.e climbing or digging (lots of arm movement):)

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Highwayman

tudo said:
Thanks for reply BK I have used wool before,I just wanted something a "little" different.
Peacoat, I really like the look of highwayman.Can you tell me please,once it is broken in does it still retain its waterproofness and does become flexible enough for unrestricted movement.i.e climbing or digging (lots of arm movement):)

Hi Tudo, somewhere on their site, Aero say that horsehide is naturally waterproof - mine's never been wet enough for long enough to test this though, but it has certainly never let in water. Someone here at the lounge will know! With a lot of arm movement, it might be a little restrictive for you, because there is no underarm/shoulder fillet, although I think they do a version that incorporates this feature.It's not overly long in the body either, I don't know if this is an issue for you. It is much heavier than say an A2. I think it's a fantastically well made jacket, the leather is thick and strong, I'm confident it will easily outlast me! Aero will customize for you but this may present difficulties if you needed a return. Hope there's a grain in this jumble that's of use, good luck.

Peacoat

Bartender
Mine is well broken in and is still water proof. To check it, I just poured some water on the creases in the arm, the most broken in part of the jacket, and the water rolled down the sleeve. I made a dam at the biggest crease, and the water stays in the resulting pond. The wool lining under the pond (on the inside of the sleeve) is dry. So I would say, yes, it is still waterproof even after being well broken in.

John Lever

One Too Many
I think that most of the jackets popular with members here are designed for sitting on a motorbike or in a plane. Thick leather arms will drain energy while you work, and when wet leather takes an age to dry out. The only vintage type leather garment I can think of that was/is worn during physical exertion is the leather jerkin favoured by the British army and it's wartime allies. They have a loose fit so can be worn with other clothes beneath, and because they have no arms they will not restrict movement while driving lifting or operating machinery.
Aero make these as a regular item, but for some reason have never listed them on the website. A fqhh with Alpaca lining costs around £150.
John

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I concur with the last post. Aero FQHH jackets are HEAVY. I'm talking 5-6 pounds easy. I call mine (Highwayman and Long Half Belt) my "suits of armor". They don't seem heavy when you wear them, but that much added weight would probably take it's toll at the end of a long day of physical labor.

In addition, while they are basically waterproof, they do absorb some water, which makes them even heavier, plus if you're working outdoors every day they may not get a chance to properly dry.

Finally, I don't baby my jackets (gives 'em character), but I don't know about wearing an 800 dollar plus jacket as a "work jacket". The Highwayman in particular is a utility-style jacket, but back in the day I think that style was used more as a truck drivers jacket.

Bottom line, there are surely much better choices for a jacket to use in your line of work, but you still need an Aero.

tudo

New in Town
John and DJS Press thankyou both for the reply.You have both given me something to think about:) Perhaps I'll get an Aero just for driving in my old ford 6610 tractor;)
cheers again tudo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR