Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey, what about the feather?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
One thing I've noticed, every new hat ad I see shows a feather in the band of the hat. I never seen anyone wearing a hat with a feather in it though (I know I sure don't).

Are thousands of birds giving their lives, for nothing?

Lorne

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The feather went the way of the naru jacket . Feathers and pins were very popular years ago . There were a least six feather dealers in the US 20 years ago . Today there is only one or two .

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Since Besdor is in the biz, I won't argue with him - but I will note gratefully that my excellent local hetter, the Greeley Hatworks, keeps a cigar box full of different bound feathers under the counter. When I pick up a hat, they are always happy to let me take my pick and find one that complements the hat. I always take them up on it. :D :D :D

For ME, I like a tastefully bound feather in the hatband. Don't leave home without one!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
FEATHERS

Guys , I love feathers in hats. It's just that they are getting hard to find . When I was a kid , my jobs was to put a feather and pearl pin in every hat . We had a box of feathers in every color . Today , we keep a small shoe box with feathers in them . Every so often , someone will come in and request a feather in their hat .
It's sort of like a pocket square for a suit . Years ago they were very popular . Now , you see a few people here and there with them , but overall it's not the "in " thing to do .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The bottom ends of the feathers are bound - you just slide the tip of the bound feathers down behind the ribbon, and they're not going anywhere.

This is one reason you don't see them on Open Roads - no ribbon to speak of, so nothing to hold them in place.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Whole species of birds are now extinct in Brazil, thanks to ladies' penchant for feathered hats in the 19th and early-to-mid 20th century.

That's not counting the stuffed birds perched whole on ladies' wide-brimmed hats. An early 20th century horror show.

Berlin Buster

New in Town
the_great_humon said:
In my opinion the feather looks good on hats with a smaller brim, less than 2".
I have a tan Cavanagh with a 1 7/8" brim and a black Lee with a 1 1/2" brim that I have feathers in.

I've never personally seen one on a hat with a wider brim than two inches, but I know the local suit shop has several matching the criteria humon posted, and they all have a nice little red feather with black speckling on it, tucked neatly under the ribbon.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
What about the pearl pin?

I also prefer to leave off the feather, but I am curious about the origin and purpose of the pearl hat pin mentioned earlier in this thread. This isn't something I have ever seen in a man's hat.

Rosie

One Too Many
jumping in here

One of my uncles has a boat load of hats very similar to this one: (sorry, it's the only thing I could think of)

rhett.JPG

Kind of western looking but with a flat top. Anyway, He ALWAYS wears feathers in his hats, they very often are the color of his pocket square.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
mine broke, ( I guess they get brittle) and the only hat store close to me sucks. Anywhere I can buy just the feather?

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I love the feathers and pins that are included in todays hats. I also add feathers to many of the boxes when a vintage hat is sold. I have a couple of bags of feathers, and I usually pick on that goes with my necktie when dressing out. Also, I have some two-tone summer weaves that a feather most definately looks good in. FWIW, I also admire hats without feathers, but I could never have a pillow without them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy