Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy Hobbs

One of the Regulars
Sooo...without trying to add and regurgitate to an already extensive lists of posts, I'd like to comment on one this. When I came over here a few years ago, Himel was apparently touted as one of the "top tier" brands. Things like leather quality, stitch count etc. were mentioned. I researched many posts here and countless YouTube videos where he was interviewed and made statements like making sure everyone who works for him makes a livable wage, and that each jacket is carefully crafted and the fit is perfected-things I respect and could get behind. When he had a "blowout sale" I actually was about the pull the trigger and even spoke to him on the phone (I was amazed he emailed and was willing to discuss what I wanted-not some employee but the man himself). I noted that many of the website details were incorrect, and while he was definitely helpful, I wasn't convinced in spending that amount of money on essentially was a OTR item (even though I would have purchased it for about $600 less). A little disillusioned to the more blasé attitude I have found with a few makers, I have found much better communication with the likes of Field, Thedi, TB, ShopVancouver, to name a few. (it makes a huge difference when someone is willing to take all the info you have and help you process through it, even if they don't make a sale...that's called customer service) note-there are also many on this site who are amazingly awesome when I PM you and you give your time to educate me and comment on your experiences with various types of leathers, manufacturers etc. That's the basis of a passion, when you will help others with no thought of any gain for yourself.

I do think that if you're going to spend the money on an investment piece, that there should be a higher level of customer service and communication. I mean, I messaged Greg on IG and he got back to me rather quickly (and even advised me NOT to buy a specific jacket based on my measurements!)

I think for those who have a Himel, I have not heard anyone really bash their quality overall. I have heard that he and Goodwear are very hard to connect with but most are completely happy with the end result product. I don't know if he's on this forum, but I would love to hear him comment since this group is generally more knowledgeable than most.
If he wants to continue the positive branding, a lot of that is word of mouth and when you tout one brand over another, part of it is the experience. (example, does anyone have an issue with the communication of Carrie at TB or Dena at GL?) I would like to know (and perhaps in the end he delivered what was purchased so what does it matter) if he is at all concerned with the 5+ pages of people frustrated and not understanding why communication and evasion are not preferred over a simple email or text to keep the buyer in the loop. Just my unrequested 2 cents (probably a lot more than that with the exchange rate!)

Cheers!

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
As a person who works retail, bad communication always baffles me. Delays happen once in a while and especially these days with lag all around caused by the pandemic. I've found with good communication people always tend to get more patient and appreciative, maybe more than they really are. What's more important is that they become patron's either in communication with others or even in further business down the road.
With purchases like these high dollar items, even the slightest niggling feeling or concern from the customer is always worth addressing from the seller to put their mind at ease.

dannyk

One Too Many
Strong union=good pay. Unfortunately that Union only exists in vintage jackets now.
Actually the one thing about repro brands that pisses me off. Being a union member. I don’t mind recreating every last detail but when I see the various union made labels when I know 100% damn well it was made with 0 union made pieces or sewing. It just kills me. Because people have literally fought, died, bled, been arrested for that label to mean something. But I don’t want to get sidetracked down a super long political argument with anyone or down a rabbit hole aside from the ops actual post.

Just the one part of repro making I take actual umbrage with because it has nothing to do with the production of the product and a lot of makers are actually in direct violation of the meaning of the label with what they pay and do. Obviously not all and I’m not attacking any brand specifically. Imma shut up now and move on ha

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Actually the one thing about repro brands that pisses me off. Being a union member. I don’t mind recreating every last detail but when I see the various union made labels when I know 100% damn well it was made with 0 union made pieces or sewing. It just kills me. Because people have literally fought, died, bled, been arrested for that label to mean something. But I don’t want to get sidetracked down a super long political argument with anyone or down a rabbit hole aside from the ops actual post.

Just the one part of repro making I take actual umbrage with because it has nothing to do with the production of the product and a lot of makers are actually in direct violation of the meaning of the label with what they pay and do. Obviously not all and I’m not attacking any brand specifically. Imma shut up now and move on ha

Are you familiar with the China based heritage brand 'Labour Union'?

Maybe their brandname refers to the Chinese labor union their sewers are affiliated with. Maybe not lol.

dannyk

One Too Many
Are you familiar with the China based heritage brand 'Labour Union'?

Maybe their brandname refers to the Chinese labor union their sewers are affiliated with. Maybe not lol.
I am and some of their stuff actually looks so good if you’re into wool and knits. But not something I can bring myself to buy into!

Union today isn’t what people think. Anyone who worked a min wage job at Safeway in their teens will understand this.
Very much depends on the Union I suppose. Trades unions here in the states pay and compensate ( as well as train and educate) very well. I worked in the laborers union in Chicago after I graduated from college making far more money than my friends pursuing white collar positions and paid internships. The work was grueling, long and even in my early twenties, completely exhausting. There were days where I worked for 24 hrs straight and was ringing up massive OT. It was also a city job and the few carried the many. Which I very much despised. I was within a gnats nut of joining the Plumbers 130 but another opportunity presented itself and my life took the course I had envisioned.

I still have a pension in the IMRF, which is a great bonus for a young moron at the time, still flailing through life, and the Union provided me that opportunity.

It was never what I wanted to do and was simply a “job” after college since my degree did not point to anything other than grad school. But the fact is I made a shit ton of money and, had I stuck with it, probably could retire in a few years from now with a fat pension. As it stands now, I’ll ride my desk until they wheel my ass to the dumpster with a slice of cake in my mouth and a candle burning off my nose hair and eyebrows.

So I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice.

dannyk

One Too Many
Very much depends on the Union I suppose. Trades unions here in the states pay and compensate ( as well as train and educate) very well. I worked in the laborers union in Chicago after I graduated from college making far more money than my friends pursuing white collar positions and paid internships. The work was grueling, long and even in my early twenties, completely exhausting. There were days where I worked for 24 hrs straight and was ringing up massive OT. It was also a city job and the few carried the many. Which I very much despised. I was within a gnats nut of joining the Plumbers 130 but another opportunity presented itself and my life took the course I had envisioned.

I still have a pension in the IMRF, which is a great bonus for a young moron at the time, still flailing through life, and the Union provided me that opportunity.

It was never what I wanted to do and was simply a “job” after college since my degree did not point to anything other than grad school. But the fact is I made a shit ton of money and, had I stuck with it, probably could retire in a few years from now with a fat pension. As it stands now, I’ll ride my desk until they wheel my ass to the dumpster with a slice of cake in my mouth and a candle burning off my nose hair and eyebrows.

Yeah I mean it’s obvious where I stand haha. But just like anything do some unions suck? Of course. Do some locals have bad leadership of course. Just like anything in life. But the overwhelming good, even the things people take for granted today like 8 hour days, weekends, overtime, pensions, holidays and holiday pay, so on and so forth weren’t just given to us out of the kindness of corporate America’s hearts. They were fought for and demanded by organized working people. And they are finally making a big time comeback because the tables have once again swung so hard to the top that the middle and bottom said enough. Which for me and my work has been incredible.

But alas I really hate when I catch myself going on a rant or diverging from the intent of the Ops content. Or going into politics where it’s not the place for…..so yeah I’m 100% with you and if the other posters comment was to say they had a bad experience or didn’t have support that’s really unfortunate and it taints the well. But trust me in general they are a huge net positive and a huge force for good since their inception; despite some who may not be on the level.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Fwiw I remember several of these pig pile threads. Pretty much one from every maker. Not calling anybody out but I also remember nearly as many threads where the OP was at the very least based upon a one sided perception of events.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Fwiw I remember several of these pig pile threads. Pretty much one from every maker. Not calling anybody out but I also remember nearly as many threads where the OP was at the very least based upon a one sided perception of events.
I'm missing your point. I don't see much pig piling going on in this thread.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

You’re right, not all unions are equal. It depends on how they are managed. But more importantly the base salary. Back then mid 90s, minimum wage was under 9 dollars, Canadian, in Vancouver. The union dues which came compounded and late was a 500 dollars bill. They lady ”forgot” to set it up as a monthly deduction.
Today in Vancouver guys gets 40 an hour just to push a broom, thanks to the overheated housing. Big differences.

Sorry to side track the OP. But if Himel is paying 35 for sewing then he’s paying very high rates compared to everyone else In Canada. Especially if that’s 35 net.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well, there are a few ad hominems but pIg pile might be the wrong term. My point was the OP is just one side of the story which in the past has turned out to be just that.
Ain’t that the truth.
Until the other side is heard it’s all just supposition. I see some red flags but it would be interesting to hear both sides.
B

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I mean, I tried to balance any apparent one-sidedness in my review with the fact that I did speak with Himel, he was willing to discuss the jacket and build, was knowledgeable, and I did eventually receive a great jacket, accurate to the specs I provided. I am not really out to burn them down in any sense, but like I said, I just wanted to provide my experience, because this was a huge investment for me, as I imagine it would be for others.

All's well that ends well. I will admit I was pissed off at some point in the process, and in my opinion, that shouldn't really happen at Himel's price point, but I do really like the product I received if I separate it from the experience: I knew the price before I ordered it, and it's a very good jacket.

Compartmentalizing the experience from the value proposition, though, I would not spend that kinda dough again on a Himel vs say, buying 2 made to measure Lewis Leathers jackets, or whatever math you want to do. From a sheerly purchasing perspective, based on product vs. price alone, you could buy a new RMC, Goodwear, Langlitz, or whatever for ~$1K USD less than a Himel costs, and in my recent experience, I don't think the price difference really gets you anything better for your money.

You are kinda paying for bespoke in that price, and part of something bespoke is the experience of creating something custom. So then we get back to the experience factoring heavily into the perceived value.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would not spend that kinda dough again on a Himel vs say, buying 2 made to measure Lewis Leathers jackets, or whatever math you want to do.
Pair beats Ace.

I don't think the price difference really gets you anything better for your money.
The overall ROI on leather jackets starts to diminish around the $1.2k mark.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Yeah, I mean, I tried to balance any apparent one-sidedness in my review with the fact that I did speak with Himel, he was willing to discuss the jacket and build, was knowledgeable, and I did eventually receive a great jacket, accurate to the specs I provided. I am not really out to burn them down in any sense, but like I said, I just wanted to provide my experience, because this was a huge investment for me, as I imagine it would be for others.

All's well that ends well. I will admit I was pissed off at some point in the process, and in my opinion, that shouldn't really happen at Himel's price point, but I do really like the product I received if I separate it from the experience: I knew the price before I ordered it, and it's a very good jacket.

Compartmentalizing the experience from the value proposition, though, I would not spend that kinda dough again on a Himel vs say, buying 2 made to measure Lewis Leathers jackets, or whatever math you want to do. From a sheerly purchasing perspective, based on product vs. price alone, you could buy a new RMC, Goodwear, Langlitz, or whatever for ~$1K USD less than a Himel costs, and in my recent experience, I don't think the price difference really gets you anything better for your money.

You are kinda paying for bespoke in that price, and part of something bespoke is the experience of creating something custom. So then we get back to the experience factoring heavily into the perceived value.

When you figure out how to get a return call/email from Good Wear please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21