Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood suit by Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Dsc03306-vi.jpg
Dsc03310-vi.jpg
Dsc03311-vi.jpg
Dsc03316-vi.jpg

/\ I give you the early 30's hollywood suit.

single breasted
peaked lapelled
belt backed
skeleton lined.

The flashy suit of its day.

END OF LINE.

MK--How about an explanation of skeleton lined?

Mattdeckard--Skeleton lined: front shoulders and sleeves are lined. Easily slides on, but breathes. you find it done in all weights of suits.

Tailors would not just sew up the visable seams, but they would use the liner fabric as piping. This is said to have cost more than lining the whole suit because they had to finish all the seams rather than cover them with the lining. looked sort of skeletal.

original zohar--Skeleton That's a very nice looking suit. Do you have any pictures of somebody wearing it? I'd love to see how it drapes.

Mattdeckard--I have a drawing of one on hand, but no photos.
hollywooddrape-vi.jpg

Rundquist-- Skeleton Wow. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve never heard of that. It makes great sense though. Keeping cool is important to me. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to try and have a suit made for whatever next spring?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s gathering turns out to be. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s invaluable info. Cheers

Yossarian--Skeleton I have a vintage suit that is "skeleton" lined, and thank God for that.

In the 70's they recreated the Hollywood suit (an atrocity, you want to talk about lapels) I like this article. Matt, you and I will have good chats at this que this weekend.

Mattdeckard--Skeleton The 70's were an era where tailors attempted to copy suits from the before time . . . the long long ago (20's, 30's). They did this drastically wrong. You will find 70's belt backs and action backs that just look atrocious. The belts are too low along with the gorge of the suits they would make one button jackets with Norfolk coat belts, they would . . . I can't go on, this is tearing me apart to think about what happend in those dark days. Fashion took over, style retreated into the dark.

Kittlemeier

New in Town
Hey Matt, could you repost the pics of this suit. I love the cut of it. Yours and the advertisement suit is kind of what I was going for in the brown suit I have but the belted back wasn't available. K

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Some made to measure companies like Hickey Freeman can do belt back (half belted) jackets. Just need to talk the salesman where you get the suit to call the manufacturer to see if they can do it.

My Blue chalk stripe suit I have in the Show us your suits thread is a belt back with bi-swing back and I had to prod the store that measured me to call Hickey Freeman to see if it could be done.

Kittlemeier

New in Town
I've been wanting to try a Hickey Freeman but they run a three to five hundred more than a Samuelsohn(for made to measure). I've been a stay at home dad for over three years and just haven't had the need for a new suit in that time. As soon as the boys are in school I'll be back to the old habits though I'm sure. K

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Think I might go check out Samuelsohn when I have a chance.

There is a guy in Long Beach who makes bespoke suits for around $800. He hunts down vintage fabric and studies the way suits were made in the 30's and 40's. It started out as a hobby for him and he now make some awsome suits for some of the local swing bands and others I know in the vintage scene. His clothes look authenic from the 30's and he can do anything you want. I think I'm going to have him make my next suit

He runs a vintage clothing shop in Long Beach and I will post more info when I have it.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Think I might go check out Samuelsohn when I have a chance.

There is a guy in Long Beach who makes bespoke suits for around $800. He hunts down vintage fabric and studies the way suits were made in the 30's and 40's. It started out as a hobby for him and he now make some awsome suits for some of the local swing bands and others I know in the vintage scene. His clothes look authenic from the 30's and he can do anything you want. I think I'm going to have him make my next suit

He runs a vintage clothing shop in Long Beach and I will post more info when I have it.

Matt,
If you want, let me know the address and I can chase down that lead! I can see a blue pinstipe in my future and this fellow may have just the ticket!
PBG

Kittlemeier

New in Town
Pretty cool. If I ever head that way, I'll hit you up for the address. Next time I'm at Nic's(I'm five hours away now since I've moved, I was only and hour and a half) I'll have them call and ask if they'll do a belted back. I was a little upset they wouldn't do split back pants. Is the blue suit a Hickey Freeman?

What are the good swing bands now? I saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in '98 when swing finally spread this way but it has kind of died down over here. They put on a hell of a show. They'll be in Hilton Head Island, SC this weekend at the jazz festival. I'll probably head over there. Another who's music I liked was Royal Crown Review. Feel free to move this part to another section if you need to. K

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
My friend Rob knows more and has some pants made by the guy.

I'm trying to get him to post on the boards and be a source for where to get vintage looking duds and the real deal.

Some of the Loungers met him and my other friend Valerie at the pub last Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo