Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade Flange...

fatwoul

Practically Family
...so I've made my block. The shape isn't perfect, and it has plenty of ugly spots, but it will make a good starting point for me to learn from. It probably isn't domed enough, for one thing, but I decided it was easier to take wood away than try to put it back, so I will try it as it is, and if it isn't domed enough, I can always sand it down further.

Now I need a flange, and I decided I wanted it to match the block, and that I enjoyed making the block enough I wanted another challenge. So I am making my flange...

So far I have the basic oval shape made, but i haven't put any curves into it yet. Does anybody have any links to tutorials about this?

If anybody would mind posting lots of pictures of fedora flanges, so I can see the shape from as many angles as possible, that would help me immensely. If you want to give me some dimensions for the rate of curve, etc, that would also be of great use.

I'll post a thread about the block and flange once they're both done. I know, I keep promising to post pictures. I still owe you guys pictures of both my Fed IVs... :eek:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hey Robin...Good to see you back...again! Well no wonder you haven't been around...You've been busy sanding...
Well as long as you're putting those wonderful photographic skills to work, and providing some great pictures...I'll allow you to duck out from time to time...:D

fatwoul

Practically Family
I'm not one to bump threads, but come on guys! I appreciate the welcomes, but I'd appreciate some flange dimensions too!

I know you're out there, all of you with your flanges you bought off eBay or made. Quit holding out on me. Share the knowledge. :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
IC...Ya see how this guy is trying to avoid the whole picture posting thing?:eusa_doh:
Ever since he got that Knighthood in Photographie...Now it's show me yer flange dimensions...:eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats