Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Fedoras did you see today?

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I saw two. One a lady was wearimg at the beach, and mine (it's sitting on my dash .. and I'm at the beach) :cool: 0418181742.jpg

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
The passed couple days London has been much hotter, and walking around a busy Richmond Park on a bank holiday I saw tonnes of straw fedoras/trilbies.

Today was cooler, saw at least three different felts aside from my own - one a very interesting model with a flat brim and upturned edge (like the Tom Mix that I've at least seen Stetson do).

Oddly, many of the felt hats I'm seeing worn these days seem to be worn either backwards or sideways. Backwards I understand (as long as the hat doesn't have any pinches), because a lot of people don't know any better. Sideways I find a bit more mystifying - I wondered if perhaps it was an attempt to get a hat to fit better, but I've seen it a few times so can only assume it's a new fashion.

The passed couple days London has been much hotter, and walking around a busy Richmond Park on a bank holiday I saw tonnes of straw fedoras/trilbies.

Today was cooler, saw at least three different felts aside from my own - one a very interesting model with a flat brim and upturned edge (like the Tom Mix that I've at least seen Stetson do).

Oddly, many of the felt hats I'm seeing worn these days seem to be worn either backwards or sideways. Backwards I understand (as long as the hat doesn't have any pinches), because a lot of people don't know any better. Sideways I find a bit more mystifying - I wondered if perhaps it was an attempt to get a hat to fit better, but I've seen it a few times so can only assume it's a new fashion.

I remember when the want-a-be thugs started the trend of wearing caps askew. Looked ridiculous to me, but so did the rest of their garb. I don’t care how others choose to wear their clothes, but I admit I sometimes get a good laugh. I can’t picture wearing a brimmed hat sideways. Do they buy them several sizes too big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
For some reason, this is a good town for fedoras. I usually see a couple a day. But today I had two of them in front of me as I boarded a commuter train. There’s the guy just entering the car up front, in a nice high-crown vintage looking piece, and the guy directly in front of me.

52ab961d8580219ace400c53a704ea88.jpg

By your experience Salt Lake City is a happening place. Congrats on living in a city that is on the cutting edge!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I saw a stingy felt and a cheap straw one while out today. And in a convenience store I saw a rack full of what I assume were paper straw hats for sale. One was actually a pretty nice looking hat, priced at $19.99.

Michael

Just Jim

A-List Customer
I saw one yesterday (that's #3 for the year). Nice blue-grey felt, with a great diamond bash. I circled the block and stopped to chat with the owner. He knew little of the hat beyond that it was just a great hat--perfect fit for him. Not a Stetson, made by some "bor SAL en oh" outfit, so he only gave fifty cents for it at the yard sale up the street. . . .

(Nothing but baseball caps left when I got there, about 2 minutes later. Ah well, it was the wrong size anyhow.)

I need to get pictures........saw a real nice fur fedora and a couple of straw fedoras at an art show this past weekend in Springfield. Saw some trilby hats at the convention (Lions Clubs) and the awesome open crown early 60's Playboy my friend wears about. It is a hat I found in a retro shop that did not fit me, really nice dark sort of olive green that goes with everything. Now he is hooked..........;)
M:)

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Saw one last Saturday, sitting at a 45 degree angle across the face of a fellow walking down the street. . . . I asked on of the locals (I was over in Iowegia) what it meant: turns out the young gentleman was the "contact" for a local freelance pharmaceutical distribution chain. He takes the money and points you to the pickup window around the corner--if the hat is sitting with a horizontal brim, they're sold out.

My first thought when I saw him was an old song, "Put on your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it. . ." Somehow that just doesn't fit with the tough image drug dealers try to portray.

Last edited:

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd share this one. There is a primary school a few minutes from where I live in Clapham, London. I've always assumed it to be private based on the small size and fancy uniforms (I don't normally see bottle green blazers with scarlet collars and lapels on children that young). They wear hats as part of their uniform, bottle green felt hats with open crowns and snapped up brims, switching out for straw in the summer.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Saw one today--older gent, waiting with his lady to cross a street in a construction zone. I circled around to see if they needed help getting across.

Hat looked like it started life as an Open Road or clone, color between Stetson's modern "silverbelly" and "fawn. He had the brim snapped, with a teardrop crease and an asymmetrical pinch, a little longer on the right. The band was two-toned, looked like red over yellow--then I looked closer and saw a tiny EGA hatpin and a ruptured duck on his lapel, and figured the hatband started as scarlet over gold.

Got them over the curb and across, and chatted a bit. Nice folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ