Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Beautiful leather! I own one as well in the same color/style, but the leather on yours is far superior, nice find
Thanks! I'm excited to check it out! I've seen a few of these over the years but never in my size. I know the company was based out of the Pacific Northwest and went under around the early 80's. The jackets typically had Talon hardware but I've seen some with lightning zips as well, so maybe there's a Canadian connection. I'll post it up when it arrives. I swore I was done with cross zips...LOL.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I immediately looked it up but it's too large. 24" P2P.

This jacket is cut in a weird way, the put to pit is much larger than it actually feels once worn.
It's like it has a massive flair outwards just before it reaches the pits, almost like it is trying to emulate a football underarm gusset, but without using extra leather panels.
Mine also has 24" pit to pit, but it feels more like 22" or 23" because the body is pretty much 21" all the way up, and it only really goes to 24" on the last couple inches. All that to say it is much more fitted than the P2P would indicate.
It really works though, it is the jacket i own that has the most effortless riding position.
Sitting down with arms forward feels great.

I finished applying pecard today, and it looks AWESOME!
The only thing i don't like is that the zipper was badly installed (factory zipper) and the bottom hem is completely staggered.
It doesn't look great when closed, it's so off it almost looks like it was done on purpose...

This jacket is cut in a weird way, the put to pit is much larger than it actually feels once worn.
It's like it has a massive flair outwards just before it reaches the pits, almost like it is trying to emulate a football underarm gusset, but without using extra leather panels.
Mine also has 24" pit to pit, but it feels more like 22" or 23" because the body is pretty much 21" all the way up, and it only really goes to 24" on the last couple inches. All that to say it is much more fitted than the P2P would indicate.
It really works though, it is the jacket i own that has the most effortless riding position.
Sitting down with arms forward feels great.

I finished applying pecard today, and it looks AWESOME!
The only thing i don't like is that the zipper was badly installed (factory zipper) and the bottom hem is completely staggered.
It doesn't look great when closed, it's so off it almost looks like it was done on purpose...
Now I'm scared!! Let's see some pics!!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Now I'm scared!! Let's see some pics!!

Still need to wait for second coat of pecard to dry and buff, will post pics tomorrow.

It looks great, but is very much a flying squirrel design. And the zip is weirdly offset (as in one lapel is an inch lower than the other at the bottom), but i can't decide if on purpose or not...

Still need to wait for second coat of pecard to dry and buff, will post pics tomorrow.

It looks great, but is very much a flying squirrel design. And the zip is weirdly offset (as in one lapel is an inch lower than the other at the bottom), but i can't decide if on purpose or not...
Oh man I'm curious. Mine is due tomorrow but likely won't be here until Monday. Was the main zip replaced you think? Is it a two way? Mine has a two way zip...and looking back it has a snap at the hem on the male side of the zip. Maybe that was omitted on yours? Doesn't explain the hem length thing tho...

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It's exactly the same two way zipper as yours, but the side with the zipper slider was installed on the edge of the leather rather than 1" from the edge. No sign of it having been replaced.

V1RnAOM.jpg

It's exactly the same two way zipper as yours, but the side with the zipper slider was installed on the edge of the leather rather than 1" from the edge. No sign of it having been replaced.

V1RnAOM.jpg
Yes and now my memory is refreshed. My gray Vanson was the same way!
IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

The male side was a good 1" longer. I wonder if that happens when the machinist just blows it from the start?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yes and now my memory is refreshed. My gray Vanson was the same way!
View attachment 129544
View attachment 129545
The male side was a good 1" longer. I wonder if that happens when the machinist just blows it from the start?

My Chopper has the same thing but only 1/2".
You would think they would focus on something as important as zipper placement, but maybe it was the 15th jacket sewn that day and they just don't care about 1"

My Chopper has the same thing but only 1/2".
You would think they would focus on something as important as zipper placement, but maybe it was the 15th jacket sewn that day and they just don't care about 1"
I've noticed it to some degree on almost all my cross zips. Especially when the angle of the zip is more severe and the lapels are larger. The snap at the hem probably helps as it sets the balance before the zipis installed? I dunno totally guessing.
IMG_0037.jpg

Man I want to see some fit pics!! The lapels on these things make it look like you could take flight if you let go the handlebars at 50mph.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed it to some degree on almost all my cross zips. Especially when the angle of the zip is more severe and the lapels are larger. The snap at the hem probably helps as it sets the balance before the zipis installed? I dunno totally guessing.
View attachment 129550
Man I want to see some fit pics!! The lapels on these things make it look like you could take flight if you let go the handlebars at 50mph.

Its weird, my lapels don't look as aggressively 70s!
Maybe just the way i shaped them as it dried?

AXO4JjS.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I would not be pleased if I received a jacket with such a visible misalignment of the bottom seam/hem. This is simply poor workmanship.

We often debate the merits of more expensive jackets, and whether the delta in quality is worth the additional cost. Personally, I will gladly pay more to receive a jacket with aligned edges/hems.

The bottom edges on this cross-zip are perfectly aligned:

Black_Jap_Pigment_Tiger_Hh_Web_3_fixed_2048x.jpg

just don't care about 1"

Fortunately, my wife feels differently.

I would not be pleased if I received a jacket with such a visible misalignment of the bottom seam/hem. This is simply poor workmanship.

We often debate the merits of more expensive jackets, and whether the delta in quality is worth the additional cost. Personally, I will gladly pay more to receive a jacket with aligned edges/hems.

The bottom edges on this cross-zip are perfectly aligned:

Black_Jap_Pigment_Tiger_Hh_Web_3_fixed_2048x.jpg

Fortunately, my wife feels differently.
I wouldn't call that an apples to apples comparison. I also wouldn't consider a Himel Bros jacket to be an actual piece of riding gear. Despite the hem alignment the Vanson would out perform the Himel on every possible level as a piece of functional riding/protective gear. I would say the same of my Aero's. They are no more worthy of functional use on an M/C as well. I'd also put forth that my latest Aero is stitched as well as any Himel and even more impressive, in that it's likely 4 times as heavy a hide, which demands a much higher skill rate of the machinest in charge.
In addition I don't want to give the impression that this is the norm for Vanson. I've owned about a dozen model E's and many had aligned hems as far as the eye can tell (2 different jackets):
IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails