Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Hh121

Banned
True, that's the reason I sold my Vanson, it doesn't looks nice.

Do they ever try to improve the pattern??

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Though i think Vanson do cut the upper arms wide in general. Very big in my Model B, more than could ever be needed. A hair big, potentially fuctional, in my C2.

I think they do that as a way to improve forward reach without needing to increase chest size or add gussets or footballs.
Most of my jackets with poor forward reach are like that because the biceps are so tight it pinches the arms.
My ELMC Californian for instance has some of the tightest arms at bicep level, and some of the poorest forward reach, it's very obvious during wear that this is because of the arms and not the chest/back.
My DD JH-1 is the same, the body is huge, but once again because of the tight biceps reaching forward is a nightmare.
Sleeve rotation and bicep diameter do a lot more for ease of movement than we think they do.

Knowing Vanson, they aim for functional rather than beautiful, they probably increase the arms to to the point where they are large enough to not impede reach and don't worry too much about the catwalk.

dannyk

One Too Many
I think they do that as a way to improve forward reach without needing to increase chest size or add gussets or footballs.
Most of my jackets with poor forward reach are like that because the biceps are so tight it pinches the arms.
My ELMC Californian for instance has some of the tightest arms at bicep level, and some of the poorest forward reach, it's very obvious during wear that this is because of the arms and not the chest/back.
My DD JH-1 is the same, the body is huge, but once again because of the tight biceps reaching forward is a nightmare.
Sleeve rotation and bicep diameter do a lot more for ease of movement than we think they do.

Knowing Vanson, they aim for functional rather than beautiful, they probably increase the arms to to the point where they are large enough to not impede reach and don't worry too much about the catwalk.
I would think your spot on. Vanson does do some fashion collaborations, and the Japanese market is quite different. But a straight up Vanson model has always been foremost for riding. Obviously they make some different models, but all their standard base stuff has always been for function and/or protection over style or perfect fit. They will pretty much make you anything if you order custom from them and if they still have certain hides in stock will even make you collabs or limited editions they have done for those other markets. But buying a base model Vanson one has to remember they are not a fashion, historical, or reproduction company they make jackets to be ridden in.

Colin G

One Too Many

I don't know. My Vanson Model A was like that and it does nothing for reach at all. That is what the bi-swing back was for. When I rode with that jacket the extra room in the upper arms did nothing except look a bit big and annoy me. Adding a large upper arm hole for extra reach with a bi-swing (on my particular jacket and others with it) seems rather odd.

The rest of the jacket was brilliant.

All that extra room up there does, is bunch up at the back of the shoulder area.

Last edited:
So just got this Vanson Maverick in competition weight in. I think it fits pretty well except for the arms, where there seems to be a lot of extra leather. Perhaps that's just how Vanson cuts their jackets. Also I feel like the back is a bit too loose, but that might also just be the trucker cut.

Forgive the mess in the pictures. Just showed up at my parents place in the states and am in a state of partial familial unpacking.

View attachment 148740 View attachment 148738 View attachment 148739 View attachment 148741

I think it looks brilliant. Oh, and re. sleeves, Type 3's are supposed to have wider sleeves, anyway. 101J's especially. Functionality aside, Vanson's take simply looks authentic. You're good.

And hey, when you get bored with it...

Iiiiiiiii'll be theeeeeere...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think so. My Vanson Model A was like that and it does nothing for reach at all. That is what the bi-swing back was for. When I rode with that jacket the extra room in the upper arms did nothing except look a bit big and annoy me.

The rest of the jacket was brilliant.

All that extra room up there does, is bunch up at the back of the shoulder area.

If you get two jackets with the same pit to pit, and no bi-swing, the one with the widest biceps will allow you better forward reach, you cannot deny that.
Reach is affected by many things, pit to pit, sleeve curvature and bicep diameter to start with, and on top of that things like gussets and footballs. Some jackets rely more on one or the other depending on the pattern.

The ELMC i mentioned earlier has a bi-swing back, still i cannot reach anything above my head wearing it.
Why? Super tight biceps!

If you get two jackets with the same pit to pit, and no bi-swing, the one with the widest biceps will allow you better forward reach, you cannot deny that.
Reach is affected by many things, pit to pit, sleeve curvature and bicep diameter to start with, and on top of that things like gussets and footballs. Some jackets rely more on one or the other depending on the pattern.

The ELMC i mentioned earlier has a bi-swing back, still i cannot reach anything above my head wearing it.
Why? Super tight biceps!

Yep.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Unrelated subject, have you or anyone else here handled one of these?(it's a 70s Schott 602)
Just wondering what the fit is like and what the general consensus is.
There is very little info online about this model.

egLQjvE.jpg

xRZqLtt.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
So just got this Vanson Maverick in competition weight in. I think it fits pretty well except for the arms, where there seems to be a lot of extra leather. Perhaps that's just how Vanson cuts their jackets. Also I feel like the back is a bit too loose, but that might also just be the trucker cut.

Forgive the mess in the pictures. Just showed up at my parents place in the states and am in a state of partial familial unpacking.

View attachment 148740 View attachment 148738 View attachment 148739 View attachment 148741
This one’s easy Bigbenbs.
If you don’t wear the hell out of this one.
You will never wear the hell out of any one.
B

Colin G

One Too Many

Why? Super tight biceps!

While riding a motorcycle I have never experienced any extra reach due to a large arm hole. Not with any of my jackets and some had a large arm hole and some did not. The jackets were also a bit big so I never experienced any tightness in the upper arm or bicep area.

As with anything, different people with different and varying body types will have different experiences wearing the same jacket.

Old Levi's Type-3. Literally the exact same fit, cut, sleeve "bagginess" and all. Case close. Also, amazing how well Vanson emulated it in leather. Simply amazing.

70505-0082a2.jpg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

I agree that Vanson is much more purpose built than most. The two models i have both have gussets as well. While the leather is stiff you could pitch a baseball from day one. Very functional jackets.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I would agree that the standard Vansons are definitely more functional (aka rider friendly) vs fashion fit friendly. When properly sized and not up/down. Though not crazy big that you couldn't wear one in public when not riding. I've worn my armored comet ( 40) thats a snug fit on bike, off bike with armor removed and its acceptable. not catwalk style, but fine for common man street style. That being said, Im waiting on a Vanson Slade to arrive this week which appear more fashion tilted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran