Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Indeed. Win/Win. But looking at yours and mine together I’d hang my hat on it being Vanson.
View attachment 241088 View attachment 241089

giphy (2).gif

I'll go back through my old posts and update accordingly, though the ability to edit them is limited by time elapsed.

Anyone need a Bates pull? On the other hand, I guess this just means I need to get a Bates.

Influencer status revoked.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
View attachment 241096

I'll go back through my old posts and update accordingly, though the ability to edit them is limited by time elapsed.

Anyone need a Bates pull? On the other hand, I guess this just means I need to get a Bates.

Don’t beat yourself up! The jacket is still fantastic. The fit is still fantastic. Mistakes happen all the time. I know I’ve made my fair share.

Fonzie

One Too Many
View attachment 241096

Whatever the brand, the jacket is insanely cool and the fit is 10/10.

Ps: it’s probably a Vanson though, a very nice one too.

Psant25

One Too Many
Working out/obsessing over details on my straight zip CHP with johnson leathers.

anyone have any Strong opinions regarding the following?

-under arm gussets/footballs
-underarm eyelets without footballs
-2 or 3 piece arm
-straight low back panel or dipped
-belt loops or no

will be riding with this jacket. MC500 stock has dipped/rounded low back, 2 piece arms, no underarm gussets or eyelets.

My aero chips that I love has belt loops, straight low back, underarm eyelets no gussets.

thanks in advance!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Working out/obsessing over details on my straight zip CHP with johnson leathers.

anyone have any Strong opinions regarding the following?

-2 or 3 piece arm
-belt loops or no

will be riding with this jacket. MC500 stock has dipped/rounded low back, 2 piece arms, no underarm gussets or eyelets.

My aero chips that I love has belt loops, straight low back, underarm eyelets no gussets.

thanks in advance!
Psant,
Oh the joys and the agony of working out all the details before you pull the trigger!
I have opinions on almost all of these points and here they are:

-I am not a fan under arm gussets as far as appearance goes but I would defer to Alan in terms of how much he thinks they increase mobility when riding a motorcycle.
-under arm eyelets seem like a good idea to me because they allow the jacket to breath a bit better.
-I don’t have a strong opinion regarding two versus three piece arm but I think that the arms on my CHP and MC style jackets are all two piece.
-I strongly prefer the straight back and that is how I specified both my Langlitz Columbia and LW CHP when I had the choice. I just feel that this looks more classic and less “hardcore”. Please keep in mind that I do not ride a motorcycle so my reasoning for this is purely aesthetic.
-I am not a fan of belt loops on my jackets and again I eliminated them when given the choice. My first CHP jacket was a stock Vanson with belt loops. I bought a Vanson belt to go along with the jacket and I think I tried it on a total of one time before deciding it wasn’t for me. I have seen plenty of other people here wearing cross zip jackets with belts that look just great. When I tried it myself I just wasn’t feeling it.

Hope some of these points are helpful but I know that your jacket will be awesome whether or not you take any of them into account. Really looking forward to seeing this one when it is done!

Mandarin

Practically Family
For what it's worth:
-arm gussets help moving your arms while keeping the rest in place.
-eyelets help breathing.
- not sure 3 piece arm makes a big difference
- if you can ask for a specific back length, then you might prefer a straight back for esthetic reasons. The dip only adds extra length and protection. Doesn't bother me.
-Belt loops were made for police officers to carry guns and ammunition on their belts. If you don't need to carry heavy stuff, you don't need a belt and so, you don't need belt loops.

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
Psant,
Oh the joys and the agony of working out all the details before you pull the trigger!
I have opinions on almost all of these points and here they are:

-I am not a fan under arm gussets as far as appearance goes but I would defer to Alan in terms of how much he thinks they increase mobility when riding a motorcycle.
-under arm eyelets seem like a good idea to me because they allow the jacket to breath a bit better.
-I don’t have a strong opinion regarding two versus three piece arm but I think that the arms on my CHP and MC style jackets are all two piece.
-I strongly prefer the straight back and that is how I specified both my Langlitz Columbia and LW CHP when I had the choice. I just feel that this looks more classic and less “hardcore”. Please keep in mind that I do not ride a motorcycle so my reasoning for this is purely aesthetic.
-I am not a fan of belt loops on my jackets and again I eliminated them when given the choice. My first CHP jacket was a stock Vanson with belt loops. I bought a Vanson belt to go along with the jacket and I think I tried it on a total of one time before deciding it wasn’t for me. I have seen plenty of other people here wearing cross zip jackets with belts that look just great. When I tried it myself I just wasn’t feeling it.

Hope some of these points are helpful but I know that your jacket will be awesome whether or not you take any of them into account. Really looking forward to seeing this one when it is done!
Those points are helpful thank you. I think the fact most/all his M500 series type jackets do not have underarm footballs stock tells me something. Same i suppose is true regarding how it is configured with a 2 piece sleeve. I am leaning toward straight back or slight curve and no loops. Also leaning toward eyelets and no footballs. My m200 variants from him have no footballs and with the action back /shoulder gussets there is plenty of forward reach. More so than my aero chips that has no gussets. My sold langlitz Columbia had a dipped back to 26 inches i ended up having them cut straight if you recall. The bottom was hitting the front of the passenger seat so the the collar was pushing against my back rear helmet constantly while riding pushing it up. Thanks again

Psant25

One Too Many
For what it's worth:
-arm gussets help moving your arms while keeping the rest in place.
-eyelets help breathing.
- not sure 3 piece arm makes a big difference
- if you can ask for a specific back length, then you might prefer a straight back for esthetic reasons. The dip only adds extra length and protection. Doesn't bother me.
-Belt loops were made for police officers to carry guns and ammunition on their belts. If you don't need to carry heavy stuff, you don't need a belt and so, you don't need belt loops.
Valid points. I do like the looks of loops on my aero chips. I do not have a belt and I think I would be arrested if I was carrying that stuff into my medical office lol

roadking04

Practically Family
-2 or 3 piece arm
-belt loops or no

Just my opinion on a riding jacket.
I would go with the under arm footballs. I think they help and would want more mobility as opposed to less.

Never noticed a difference between a 2 and 3 piece sleeve. Might be something else I have to obsess about now. lol.

I prefer a dipped back. I like my m/c jackets to be a little shorter in the front so they don't push up into my chin. I like them a little longer in the back to keep out the rain and cold.

I usually lean towards loops. I think they look cool and I could always snug a belt up to seal out the cold.

I am sure Alan will get you squared away. What leather type/weight/color are you going with?

I don't have any Bates jackets, but I can't imagine why someone would to through the trouble of rebranding a Vanson to Bates labels. It doesn't make sense. But it does look like a Vanson Model E or Model C2. Whatever it is, it's sweet.
I don’t think it’s been rebranded. Just hung a Bates pull “tag” from the main zip.

Psant25

One Too Many
Just my opinion on a riding jacket.
I would go with the under arm footballs. I think they help and would want more mobility as opposed to less.

Never noticed a difference between a 2 and 3 piece sleeve. Might be something else I have to obsess about now. lol.

I prefer a dipped back. I like my m/c jackets to be a little shorter in the front so they don't push up into my chin. I like them a little longer in the back to keep out the rain and cold.

I usually lean towards loops. I think they look cool and I could always snug a belt up to seal out the cold.

I am sure Alan will get you squared away. What leather type/weight/color are you going with?
Thanks much!
I kind of want a badge holder so if I have that I am thinking loops.
I think the 3.5 oz finished cow they use on the OPD jackets. I have had a few of their leathers and one in this already. After break in and conditioning it reminded me of langlitz medium cow that I also like. I have a brown naked cow in brown 3.5 oz i love and had one in black. But for riding prefer something finished

roadking04

Practically Family
I think the 3.5 oz finished cow they use on the OPD jackets. I have had a few of their leathers and one in this already. After break in and conditioning it reminded me of langlitz medium cow that I also like. I have a brown naked cow in brown 3.5 oz i love and had one in black. But for riding prefer something finished

Sounds like an awesome build. My only jacket from JL is in their "police" leather. It is a great leather for motorcycle use, as you know. I also feel a true motorcycle jacket should be made from finished leather. I also read somewhere that naked leather doesn't slide as well on pavement as finished leather.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last night I bought the new IH overdye 22oz Type 3 that just dropped:
075C26F8-2FF0-4783-B23E-652D7E4BD968.jpeg

It was only a couple weeks ago that I bought the Indigo 22oz Type 3 the day it was released. That has quickly become one of my favorite jackets and has been seeing a lot of early morning wear these days before the sun comes up and it gets warm out.
I hope that the OD fits just as well because it makes a nice contrast when wearing dark blue jeans.

Last night I bought the new IH overdye 22oz Type 3 that just dropped:
View attachment 241250
It was only a couple weeks ago that I bought the Indigo 22oz Type 3 the day it was released. That has quickly become one of my favorite jackets and has been seeing a lot of early morning wear these days before the sun comes up and it gets warm out.
I hope that the OD fits just as well because it makes a nice contrast when wearing dark blue jeans.
Nice!! IMHO the OD is the best denim they offer. Gives contrast like black but fades to an incredible indigo. Sorely tempted by that one myself but figure with the Ship John due any day now I don’t need to stack on more denim jackets. Although if they ever get around to release the version with handwarmers I’ll be all over it. Been waiting on that for over a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran