Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I just talked to Mike, first he wants me to send the jacket back to him for the inspection. He also mentioned Vanson is now using different competition weight leather from before.......

From what I have been told by multiple dealers Vanson no longer gets their leather from the tannery that made the comp weight leather that we all love. Vanson has struggled in recent years to get a comp weight that is similar to the comp weight of old. Some leather has come in too heavy and stiff, other too thin and supple. I know they had a batch last summer that was so thick they used it for bags because it was too heavy for jackets. The last jacket I ordered from Vanson was delayed for over 40 weeks due to shortage in comp weight leather. In the end when the jacket arrived it did indeed feel thinner than any comp weight from Vanson I had felt before... and I've owned 8 Vansons. I only have one Vanson left. It is a Model B purchased about 2 years ago and it is more supple than other comp weights that I have owned before, and maybe a touch thinner (looks similar to your Enfield). While I love heavy stiff creaky comp weight, I have to say I have greatly enjoyed this more supple comp weight. It is so much more comfortable to wear and it broke in pretty quick. It's still thicker than just about any other jacket I've owned outside of my old Vanson "e" that was mistakenly sold and my Lost Worlds J23 which is 3.5oz HH.

All of that to say, yes the comp weight is different because it's being made by a different tannery than the comp weight of old. But that doesn't mean it's worse. There does seem to be a lot of variation, so it really depends on the batch. Personally, I think your Enfield looks really nice and I would wear the heck out of it and not look back. If it was a 42 I'd really consider buying it off you if you were unhappy.

Hh121

Banned
From what I have been told by multiple dealers Vanson no longer gets their leather from the tannery that made the comp weight leather that we all love. Vanson has struggled in recent years to get a comp weight that is similar to the comp weight of old. Some leather has come in too heavy and stiff, other too thin and supple. I know they had a batch last summer that was so thick they used it for bags because it was too heavy for jackets. The last jacket I ordered from Vanson was delayed for over 40 weeks due to shortage in comp weight leather. In the end when the jacket arrived it did indeed feel thinner than any comp weight from Vanson I had felt before... and I've owned 8 Vansons. I only have one Vanson left. It is a Model B purchased about 2 years ago and it is more supple than other comp weights that I have owned before, and maybe a touch thinner (looks similar to your Enfield). While I love heavy stiff creaky comp weight, I have to say I have greatly enjoyed this more supple comp weight. It is so much more comfortable to wear and it broke in pretty quick. It's still thicker than just about any other jacket I've owned outside of my Lost Worlds J23 which is 3.5oz HH.

All of that to say, yes the comp weight is different because it's being made my a different tannery than the comp weight of old. But that doesn't mean it's worse. There does seem to be a lot of variation, so it really depends on the batch. Personally, I think your Enfield looks really nice and I would wear the heck out of it and not look back. If it was a 42 I'd really consider buying it off you if you were unhappy.

Thanks!! I didn't catch what Mike said very clearly, but he did mentioned something about old tannery was no longer available, what a shame!!!!!!!

Hh121

Banned
From what I have been told by multiple dealers Vanson no longer gets their leather from the tannery that made the comp weight leather that we all love. Vanson has struggled in recent years to get a comp weight that is similar to the comp weight of old. Some leather has come in too heavy and stiff, other too thin and supple. I know they had a batch last summer that was so thick they used it for bags because it was too heavy for jackets. The last jacket I ordered from Vanson was delayed for over 40 weeks due to shortage in comp weight leather. In the end when the jacket arrived it did indeed feel thinner than any comp weight from Vanson I had felt before... and I've owned 8 Vansons. I only have one Vanson left. It is a Model B purchased about 2 years ago and it is more supple than other comp weights that I have owned before, and maybe a touch thinner (looks similar to your Enfield). While I love heavy stiff creaky comp weight, I have to say I have greatly enjoyed this more supple comp weight. It is so much more comfortable to wear and it broke in pretty quick. It's still thicker than just about any other jacket I've owned outside of my old Vanson "e" that was mistakenly sold and my Lost Worlds J23 which is 3.5oz HH.

All of that to say, yes the comp weight is different because it's being made by a different tannery than the comp weight of old. But that doesn't mean it's worse. There does seem to be a lot of variation, so it really depends on the batch. Personally, I think your Enfield looks really nice and I would wear the heck out of it and not look back. If it was a 42 I'd really consider buying it off you if you were unhappy.

They have 42 in stock

dannyk

One Too Many
I too am really interested @Hh121 @ton312 and @JMax to hear these differences. As some of the fiercest Vanson lovers on this forum I hope they didn’t ruin a good thing. I mean it looks good, but the original comp. weight was so unique and different. Definitely set them apart. Fingers crossed that it’s still killer!

Awesome post. I was considering selling my Comet but now that I know this, it ain’t going anywhere. None of my Vanson are.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I was looking at getting a highwayman this fall. Was looking forward to the comp. leather. Hope to hear some good news. Might be back to the drawing board.

Don't be worried to get a new Highwayman. Vanson is still using very nice leather and the Highwayman is an outstanding jacket. Is it the same as Vansons made 10+ years ago? No, but they're still very high quality jackets. If I could find one with rayon lining (don't like quilt), I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Hh121

Banned
It is interesting in Vanson website frequently questions it state thier competition weight is 1.3-1.4mm. So it is 3oz, it might explain the leather of my Enfield.
5efc09f23c7f8db63e772a557a07c097.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Jup. Perfect fit and nice casual look (I point this out because many repro styles often don't blend in too well with modern styling imho, but this one does perfectly and brings 50s cool without being too brash.) The collar on this is something else. Makes me want to get one. Congratulations!

My ELMC Californian size 42R turned up today.....couldn’t be happier.

a1fcf89143b306e0325d5548f17d708d.jpg

f5105b0fc234cad197716a6f64e306c5.jpg

344ae0966486b7c329001c2103e755e2.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now you just need one in walnut as well, this ones black right? hard to tell viewing this on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this is the black one.

Honestly, if I wasn’t expecting my GW Modoc at some point, I’d have ordered the walnut Californian already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko