Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wai Too

31418050-3D38-46F4-8FA8-59C1A8C8BF77.jpeg

9037AB8B-1C6D-476A-BD7D-A0E6A1799316.jpeg

Also Y2 I think

B7961A54-5F35-4032-9EE2-E019D160AF50.jpeg

2D7C5BC7-3F2C-490E-A3E0-7FE281D33716.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Are all these your guitars?!?!
Only one guitar. But the jackets were all from Japan's used market. I thought they were very decent deals. Two were BNWT and was on auction for less than half of the Japanese listed price, not the ROW pricing (higher prices charged by their retail partners). I think I got a bit lucky there. Used jackets in larger sizes don't seem to get any traction on the Japanese auction sites. They grade their jackets A, B, C, D. These were all graded A or B, and looks better than any jackets I've bought from Ebay claiming to be BNWT. The only downside is that EMS is still not available to Canada from Japan, so I have to pay double in shipping for UPS/Fedex.
IMG_7624.JPG

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only one guitar. But the jackets were all from Japan's used market. I thought they were very decent deals. Two were BNWT and was on auction for less than half of the Japanese listed price, not the ROW pricing (higher prices charged by their retail partners). I think I got a bit lucky there. Used jackets in larger sizes don't seem to get any traction on the Japanese auction sites. They grade their jackets A, B, C, D. These were all graded A or B, and looks better than any jackets I've bought from Ebay claiming to be BNWT. The only downside is that EMS is still not available to Canada from Japan, so I have to pay double in shipping for UPS/Fedex.
View attachment 456594
No idea which buying service you are using but I have been using From Japan for quite a while. The shipping did go up but not that much and they do provide up to 10% shipping discount to high roller. I used to use Buyee but have switched to From Japan because of better packing, zero consolidation fee and lower shipping rates. From Japan's Fedex intl economy rate seems more reasonable than Buyee's Fedex rate.
I have bought hundreds of items using them and I have not had one major problem.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No idea which buying service you are using but I have been using From Japan for quite a while. The shipping did go up but not that much and they do provide up to 10% shipping discount to high roller. I used to use Buyee but have switched to From Japan because of better packing, zero consolidation fee and lower shipping rates. From Japan's Fedex intl economy rate seems more reasonable than Buyee's Fedex rate.
I have bought hundreds of items using them and I have not had one major problem.
Thanks for the tip! I've been using Buyee for auctions and Zenmarket for local store purchases. Both are ok. I am testing a consolidation this week and see if the results continues to be good. I am definitely giving From Japan a try this week too. I just didn't know about them.
Direct to store is still best for new stuff as they will waive the local tax which is 10%. But some stores are a little English shy so I had to go through Zenmarket proxy.
Fedex for the 2~3kg box is about ¥12,000 ($85) and EMS is about ¥6,000, so half. But Fedex gets to the westcoast on the 2nd day, EMS can take up to a week.
I used to have a perception that Japan is $$$ but turns out not so true. And they have a lot of repro styles, a lot! Ebay is a rip off in comparison...

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars
I'll have to check From Japan out sometime. I've also used Buyee quite a bit with few problems, but it's hard to argue against better service with lower fees. The only major problems I've had shipping from Japan using proxy sites is from both UPS and Fedex scamming me by charging $60-80 "clearance fees" for clearing items through customs. It is highly unlikely they actually needed to pay custom fees for the items in question, so their "clearance fees" are just a money grab.

ojaw

A-List Customer
View attachment 456594
Nice, I unfortunately am similarly sized to many Asian buyers of these jackets and likely wouldn't be able to swoop in and get a bountiful crop like you did!

Blackadder

Thanks for the tip! I've been using Buyee for auctions and Zenmarket for local store purchases. Both are ok. I am testing a consolidation this week and see if the results continues to be good. I am definitely giving From Japan a try this week too. I just didn't know about them.
Direct to store is still best for new stuff as they will waive the local tax which is 10%. But some stores are a little English shy so I had to go through Zenmarket proxy.
Fedex for the 2~3kg box is about ¥12,000 ($85) and EMS is about ¥6,000, so half. But Fedex gets to the westcoast on the 2nd day, EMS can take up to a week.
I used to have a perception that Japan is $$$ but turns out not so true. And they have a lot of repro styles, a lot! Ebay is a rip off in comparison...
From Japan has been quite aggressive in pricing. In fact Buyee has been playing catch up in that aspect. Buyee used to charge o percentage on Auction price until FJ came up with a flat fee. FJ does not charge consolidation fee and the free storage period is 45 days, 15 days more than Buyee. FJ also offers 7-10% rebate on Rakuten purchase every Tue-Thurs. You would also get some coupons and points that you can use. With the rebate and coupon you basically do not have to pay the Japanese sales tax. It is true buying from bigger stores like Hinoya may save you some money but the smaller stores are more likely to have clearance sale. Those smaller stores usually only use expensive shipping plans.
Drawback of FJ
FJ charges service fee on each shopping item unless they are purchased from same seller and are same size and colour. Buyee however charges service fee per store per order.
Cannot buy from Mecari using FJ
For FJ, there is a limit on the amount that you can spend on Yahoo! Auctions every month. Once you have reached the limit, you can only use a deposit or FJ points to bid for the remainder of the month.
Buyee has no limit or rather the limit is your credit card limit.
I'll have to check From Japan out sometime. I've also used Buyee quite a bit with few problems, but it's hard to argue against better service with lower fees. The only major problems I've had shipping from Japan using proxy sites is from both UPS and Fedex scamming me by charging $60-80 "clearance fees" for clearing items through customs. It is highly unlikely they actually needed to pay custom fees for the items in question, so their "clearance fees" are just a money grab.
I am not sure about Buyee but FJ does offer the option of declaring items as gifts. Whether your custom believe you is of course not FJ's responsibility. Tthere is no duty on imports where I live so I have very limited experience on that. There is a smaller courier called ECMS you can try. Both Buyee and FJ offers ECMS.

Blackadder

Nice, I unfortunately am similarly sized to many Asian buyers of these jackets and likely wouldn't be able to swoop in and get a bountiful crop like you did!
Not necessarily. I have got new jackets at a steep discount on Yahoo Auction and sometimes Rakuten not to mention the used ones. I bought all my Rainbow Country jackets from one seller on Yahoo. All brand new and at least 30% discount of the SRP in Japan. I paid 150000 yen for my brand new RM J-24 with green lining size 38 back when the SRP was 199000 yen. I bought it from a small store on Rakuten on clearance since RM had just lauched the current J-24 model with black lining.
Especially if you are not going for the ultra popular brands like RM, FW and FC.
For example, used Sugar Cane halfbelt size 38 at less than $500 BIN. Listing has been around for a couple of months. No taker.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j1054857001
I don't post Finds and Deals from Japanese auction because of lack of interests owing to heavy import duties. I bought this one below here a week or so ago. Less than USD 300. I was the only bidder. Well would be very different if it is an original Buco.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c1065382560

Last edited:

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars
I am not sure about Buyee but FJ does offer the option of declaring items as gifts. Whether your custom believe you is of course not FJ's responsibility. Tthere is no duty on imports where I live so I have very limited experience on that. There is a smaller courier called ECMS you can try. Both Buyee and FJ offers ECMS.
Thanks for the info, that might help. I'm US-based, and I have used EMS and DHL in the past with Buyee in the past, and had no problems with surprise fees. I think this might be an issue with UPS and Fedex being real a-holes about charging extra fees just because they picked up the packages from customs - there were no duties charged on the packages in question as far as I can tell. My research told me that these were basically "convenience fees" for clearing them through customs. Could have been an issue with Buyee not bothering to fill out proper customs declarations as well - I bitched about it with Buyee support, and they basically told me to pound sand.
Not necessarily. I have got new jackets at a steep discount on Yahoo Auction and sometimes Rakuten not to mention the used ones. I bought all my Rainbow Country jackets from one seller on Yahoo. All brand new and at least 30% discount of the SRP in Japan. I paid 150000 yen for my brand new RM J-24 with green lining size 38 back when the SRP was 199000 yen. I bought it from a small store on Rakuten on clearance since RM had just lauched the current J-24 model with black lining.
Especially if you are not going for the ultra popular brands like RM, FW and FC.
For example, used Sugar Cane halfbelt size 38 at less than $500 BIN. Listing has been around for a couple of months. No taker.
I don't post Finds and Deals from Japanese auction because of lack of interests owing to heavy import duties. I bought this one below here a week or so ago. Less than USD 300. I was the only bidder. Well would be very different if it is an original Buco.
Yeah, this has reflected my experience shopping for jackets from japan sites as well. I've picked up a Lost Worlds, and a couple Electric Leather Studio jackets for a song, relatively speaking. Good deals to be had on Yahoo Auctions and other sites, and they often sit for months-years with no action.

Last edited:

ojaw

A-List Customer
Thanks, get thee behind me Satan!

willyto

One Too Many
So I found a size M canvas Lost Worlds on Mercari for around 40€ and bought it. It will take a while before I get it but at the price I'm gambling about the fit.

I lost a Ryder size 38 for less than 180€ but I didn't have any money at the time...

My search for budget price Lost Worlds continues. I'm gambling a bit on sizing but I can't commit to +$1500 without having a size try on for reference.

Unr2qCq.jpg

5Hm0aKE.jpg

qQq20Zi.jpg

Looks like a canvas Ryder with the half belt (no back pic)

So I found a size M canvas Lost Worlds on Mercari for around 40€ and bought it. It will take a while before I get it but at the price I'm gambling about the fit.

I lost a Ryder size 38 for less than 180€ but I didn't have any money at the time...

My search for budget price Lost Worlds continues. I'm gambling a bit on sizing but I can't commit to +$1500 without having a size try on for reference.

Unr2qCq.jpg

5Hm0aKE.jpg

qQq20Zi.jpg

That's 20 oz canvas I believe! Very robust and super cool! I'd love one of those myself, don't think I 've ever seen one.

Blackadder

Unr2qCq.jpg

5Hm0aKE.jpg

qQq20Zi.jpg

I don't trust the size tag LW put on their jackets. I have/had three LW jackets. My size 34 A-2 is a like Western size 38. My size 38 J-23 is a true Western size 38 but my size 36 Ryder is more like a Japanese size 36.

Goel

A-List Customer
I was considering a LW for the longest time because I really like the look of their HH, but the inability to try on anything puts me off.

I don't trust the size tag LW put on their jackets. I have/had three LW jackets. My size 34 A-2 is a like Western size 38. My size 38 J-23 is a true Western size 38 but my size 36 Ryder is more like a Japanese size 36.

Best is to talk to him about sizing and preferred fit. He nails it more often than not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ