Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to... get the grown-up vintage look

MissHannah

One Too Many
Well it IS the Daily Mail! And Brix Smith is always pretty irritating in my opinion - she gets wheeled out as some sort of vintage expert and I cannot for the life of me see why she would qualify as such.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Interesting article! I don't know, I am not really surprised that not wearing vintage from head to toe would be the recommendation of "fashion experts." I actually read that a lot.

It doesn't really bother me personally, I find this is just typical of fashion and the opinions of stylists. You really just have to ignore most of it, as it is all rubbish and only applies to the catwalk. Like, when they print in a magazine that "pink is out for fall lipstick...chose a burgandy instead." What??? How can pink lipstick be "out"??? It is too funny, as if someone would stop you in the street and tell you your lipstick is SO last season....:D

So, I am good with it, who wants to be a lemming anyway??? [huh]

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Ugghh... Not that I'm any sort of expert but I'm just sick to death of seeing ANY vintage piece described as Mad Men! They treat it as this huge catch all description hoping to snag a few morons who only follow the trend because of the show.

sportell

New in Town
Yes, some of us actually liked vintage clothing before the show came out. In fact, I started watching the show BECAUSE I like the clothing. I was hoping for some extra ideas in colour. However the show is getting a bit later into the 60s and I'm not so keen on some of the clothes of the later 60s. So I may stop watching soon.

As for not going head to toe vintage... why not? I remembered a girl in college who was all gothic, but not the black lipstick type. We're talking long flowing dresses with a Medievalesque feel. She was definitely not the norm, but it looked really cool and if I had known back then how to sew, I might have joined her. Do what you want and like. So what if it's "out"?

FAYEZY123

New in Town
I usually refer to this paper as the Daily Hate!!!

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching vintage with modern stuff. I am sure most of us do already...for instance today I have a vintage 50's dress on with a New Look cardi...but to say that the point of wearing vintage is to not look dated, and that looking like you're 'from another era' is a bad thing...well it's just insulting people that DO want to look exactly like that!

Anyway...this fad only means that the price of vintage is going to go up even more...good job i am starting to make my own clothes:p

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its the media. Period.

They report on current trends. And this is one.

Face it...those folks that do want to look like they are from another era are a 'tiny' fraction of the people who might want one vintage item here and there to spice up their regular clothes. (and there is zero wrong with that!)

Most people don't want to do that and nothing wrong with that. If everyone did dress exclusively in a vintage style...then we would come here whining how they 'took our thing' and 'have no brains of their own'. Other people can't win, as we will always find something to gripe about with them.

First they look horrid and tacky and over casual...but heaven forbid they add in some 'classy' items......

The rest of her points, ie its ageing etc. Heck, we here have discussed that very thing, so she isn't being cruel or horrid or anything. It is a fact that for -most viewers- looking like another era does invoke the 'older then one is' idea.

We talk about how women should be kinder to other women about their appearances.

In my book this counts for non 'vintage' folks too.....respect their choice to look how they want, even if its trendy and includes vintage items.

What we dish out, comes right back to us......as evidenced in the 'comments you get' thread.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Daily Fail...it's called it for a reason. :rolleyes:

and really taking vintage fashion advice from someone who works with Gok Wan??? lol I mean it's all a bit 'mainstream' isn't it? :p

Veronica

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
She says "you'll look like you're from another era" like that's a bad thing.

Sounds strange to me...She should re-open her book called "History of Fashion" and remember that everything goes and comes through decades...If everyone could pick what he/she like wearing from the beginning of clothing, world would be much funnier I guess...

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Not to mention the fact that nearly every classic staple piece available nowadays is still based on the basic lines of the 30's-60's. They just don't go out of style!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Well it IS the Daily Mail! And Brix Smith is always pretty irritating in my opinion - she gets wheeled out as some sort of vintage expert and I cannot for the life of me see why she would qualify as such.
I totally agree, i wouldn't have any issue with her dishing out advice to wanabee fashionistas, (cringe word - apologies) or her musical pedigree, but that's about it. Also thought the 'looking very ageing' comment was a bit off. As if i haven't got enough to deal with on a monday morning!!

benstephens

Practically Family
Interestingly I have seen it being referred to as the Daily Hate well before WW2, so they have always been the same.

As for the article, it is the usual mainstream view on vintage. It is really just a buzz word, not a lifestyle or a passion in the general world.

Which is good in many ways. I like the fact that the people I meet dressed in their lovely vintage styles have an affiliation with the period!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner