Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Suit

Sly Style

Familiar Face
To those who say only patent leather can be shined to a mirror finish, aparently you have never been in the military before.........

GOK

One Too Many
FreddieVonRost said:
Its all jolly hush hush but .......

my mission, should I choose to accept it, is to hold a little tea party in Boston. :)

London Lounge? Please explain

Heheh! lol

Freddie, the London Lounge is a forum dedicated to extolling the virtues and wares of those fine chaps, Savile Row tailors. http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/ (I hope it's ok to post this link)

Chaps - I hope I haven't offended any of you with my procrastinations; if I have, may I unreservedly apologise? My post was merely stating my opinion of what for me, ruins the appearance of a good suit. It wasn't my intention to insult anyone or state that my word should be law.

One interesting thing has come out of this - the difference in our cultures! It seems that what is traditionally thought of as being lacking in gentlemanly d?©corum over here is perfectly acceptable across the pond. I'm not even going ot speculate over the perceived rights and wrongs of this; I shall merely say, vive la diff?©rence...or something like that! :D

Can we agree however, that designer stubble is wrong? lol

On designer stubble:

All right, I'm going out on a limb here. I'd always thought designer stubble was right out, but then I see someone who just has this look, and does it well, and it changes my old curmudgeon mind. It's rare, granted, but it does happen.

I went out and about my city to surreptitiously take photographs for this article and I happened to pass three youngish Italians - early 30s - who were all in tailored suits. The three of them had the designer stubble. At first, I thought, 'Yes, that should be on the list,' but you know what? The stubble suited all three of them. They had it right. And I think what made it all right was that they were all impeccably dressed with knotted ties and real shoes. I think it's the style (non-style) of jacket, jeans, untucked shirt - that casualness that seems to be favored by those of the stubbled chin - that makes us cringe, and not the stubble itself.

Regards,

Senator Jack

GOK

One Too Many
Well obviously being Italian, the young men in question had a head start! :D

However, as much as I am not questioning your sartorial judgement my dear Senator, for me personally, I just don't like it. But I concede that this dislike may in part, be due to the painful memory of suffering stubble-burn from an over enthusiastic beau!

That said, a certain whip-wielding archaeologist, sporting a well lived in fedora may be excused for a day's growth....but even he is clean shaven when wearing a suit! :p

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Ha! GOK you are right- the stubble has to be handled carefully... but I don't mind a little scruff now & then... As long as he is put together and nattily dressed he's okay in my book;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sly Style said:
To those who say only patent leather can be shined to a mirror finish, aparently you have never been in the military before.........

How right you are! But, on the flip side, I don't want my shoes to reflect sun light to signal aircraft either! lol

Something about a nice pair of brown or black dress shoes with a little patina! Not saying flat but, just the right amount of shine is nice... want my leather to look like leather, not plastic.;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
GOK said:
Can we agree however, that designer stubble is wrong? lol

Well GOK, I sure can agree with you on that! I for one am not able to grow facial hair as well as some... when it starts to grow in, it looks pretty trailer parkish if you know what I mean! I feel like shoutin': Hey Ma! What's for supper? I hope it's Muskrat stew! lol To say the least, I shave it off and retain a clean appearance.

If a man wears facial hair, I like to see it trimmed 1930's style... thin mustaches and well trimmed beards... looks very sharp on some... stubble on the other hand... you'd better be a member of the Mob with a "Chicago Typewriter" in hand to pull off that look!lol

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Well GOK, I sure can agree with you on that! I for one am not able to grow facial hair as well as some... when it starts to grow in, it looks pretty trailer parkish if you know what I mean! I feel like shoutin': Hey Ma! What's for supper? I hope it's Muskrat stew! lol

You forgot mention wearing the wifebeater shirt and playing the banjo on the porch. Stubble is sort of sickly looking to me. It either says I can't actually grow real facial hair or it says I have been too sick to grow real facial hair. Either way it just doesn't work with a suit. I have not seen one person it looks good on. On a young man it looks like the can't actually grow a beard thing. On a middle aged person it looks kind of silly with the salt and pepper stubble. Kind of reminds me of the guy growing tweed on his face. :p On an older person it has many connotations---dirty old man being just one of them. ;)

Wild Root said:
If a man wears facial hair, I like to see it trimmed 1930's style... thin mustaches and well trimmed beards... looks very sharp on some... stubble on the other hand... you'd better be a member of the Mob with a "Chicago Typewriter" in hand to pull off that look!lol

=WR=

I think you could go with a moustache there Root. It would add character. lol

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo