Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Suit

I often see men who have obviously spent a bit on a suit but ruin its presentation by being lackadaisacal about some other aspect. Just off the top of my head, I can think of:

1. Worn out shoes
2. No pocket square
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with a baseball hat.

Okay, so you're on the train or in a restaurant, and think, that guy looks sharp, but...

Regards,

Senator Jack

Jay

Practically Family
The lack of a pocket square today really bothers me. If something isn't done soon, that pocket may disappear.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't forget the latest trend, guys

Wear your suit with your shirt tails hanging out! Oh, don't forget to make sure they're all crumpled, too!

You know, I've only ever seen two kinds of men wearing pocket squares with their suits: vintage aficionados and rich North Shore lawyers. No one else wears them, and their suits simply look incomplete.

Senator Jack said:
I often see men who have obviously spent a bit on a suit but ruin its presentation by being lackadaisacal about some other aspect. Just off the top of my head, I can think of:

1. Worn out shoes
2. No pocket square
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with a baseball hat.

Okay, so you're on the train or in a restaurant, and think, that guy looks sharp, but...

Regards,

Senator Jack

You forgot long hair

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Long hair is fine. You don't have to have a trimmed top to be classic... just have it clean and straight.

What destroys a look for me is the mismatched trousers. Cargo pants and suit coat do not a dressed man make.

I know it's the aesthetic nature of style today, though it just bugs.

And how about those guys with their shorts hanging below their knee and the socks pulled up into the shorts... just tuck the shorts into the socks already and complete the look!

More on topic... if the look is good and there is one thing off it is usually the badly worn super long tie.

Barry

Practically Family
A hat suited for the outback or flyfishing. I see that all over DC. I'll see a guy in a decent suit or blazer and tie and he's got on a Tilley, Filson or an "outdoorsy" Akubra.

Barry

Posted by Matt Deckard:
...if the look is good and there is one thing off it is usually the badly worn super long tie

Yeah, that 's the one I forgot to list. See that all the time.

But while I can understand about the untucked shirt business - that's trying to be a style - I can't understand how a guy that's trying to look sharp goes about getting it wrong. You can tell when a guy has spent some serious jack for a well-made suit, and then he goes and forgets to do things like have new heels put on his shoes.

Regards,

Senator Jack

pablocham

One of the Regulars
You forgot lug soles. I see people every day--usually college age or just out of college--who think that it is okay to wear cartoonish lug soled shoes with a suit. It is not okay.

Baggers

Practically Family
My pet peeve is having the trouser legs so long that the fabric bunches up around the ankle. More than a slight break and they're too long. That, and wearing the trouser waistband at the hips. It called a waistband for a reason!

Oh yes, and "dress" shoes that are built like combat boots, or the ones with the really ugly squareish toes -- looks like something that belongs on a clown.

Cheers!

ortega76

Practically Family
pablocham said:
You forgot lug soles. I see people every day--usually college age or just out of college--who think that it is okay to wear cartoonish lug soled shoes with a suit. It is not okay.

I do like the utility of a lug sole in cold, muddy Illinois winters. A necessary evil sometimes when one can't carry boots and seperate shoes.[huh]

carebear

My Cole Hahns have square toes and they look sharp with my Armani's.

Shoes can be in ok shape but a lot of folks have no idea how to polish them anymore. And shoeshine guys are few and far between.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Neon-coloured promotional gift ballpen in shirt pocket, next to the cigarettes and/or the mobile 'phone.

By the way, I don't like phones clipped to the belt, but to be fair, I wouldn't say this ruins the picture.

Pocket squares I regard as optional, not compulsory.

Thick wallet in hip pocket.

Open hip pocket.

Open DB jacket.

Over-stuffed jacket pockets.

Of course, the combination makes it. Say, too short trousers so the white dropped socks and some hairy legs show above the untended shoes. Too much stuff in the trouser's pockets, thick wallet in buttonable, but unbuttoned hip pocket. DB jacket is left open, and the sides hang down because of all the stuff in the pockets, from which large papers protrude etc. etc.

Pretty much describes an uncle of mine, a brilliant scholar of the kind where his wife has to help him with those complicated cardigan buttons. I love him.

Tony in Tarzana

I'm afraid I always leave the back pockets unbuttoned. Until I started doing that, I always had broken or missing buttons from them getting caught on car door frames and such. If it's not too much of a faux pas I'd just as soon leave the back pockets off any custom-made trousers. I never use the silly things anyway.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
I'm afraid I always leave the back pockets unbuttoned. Until I started doing that, I always had broken or missing buttons from them getting caught on car door frames and such. If it's not too much of a faux pas I'd just as soon leave the back pockets off any custom-made trousers. I never use the silly things anyway.

It just looks awkward if they are filled up and hang down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo