Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to unshrink wool

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
I’m seeing a lot of articles recommending the hair conditioner/water soak + stretch method. Has anyone here successfully unshrunk their wool garments? If so, how?

Thanks!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I suspect the problem with stretching some wool is the scaly surface of wool fibers. The fibers can't slide over each other. They lock to each other. They dig into each other. Amongst other microscopic things happening, the fibers can't move freely as you're trying to pull the fabric.

CatsCan

Practically Family
This is pretty much what I think about it, too.
It depends...
Another factor is how the wool was blocked in the manufacturing of the garment.
Before tossing the garment, it is always worth to try to re-establish the former form. I have successfully restored a sweater, but this was of course knitwear and not woven. A shrunk woven fabric I would consider as felted. In this case - no chance without ripping the fibers and destroying the garments integrity.

Cats

This is pretty much what I think about it, too.
It depends...
Another factor is how the wool was blocked in the manufacturing of the garment.
Before tossing the garment, it is always worth to try to re-establish the former form. I have successfully restored a sweater, but this was of course knitwear and not woven. A shrunk woven fabric I would consider as felted. In this case - no chance without ripping the fibers and destroying the garments integrity.

Cats
Perhaps a bit coarse but I liken it to: How to un.... a pregnant woman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21