Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am coming to London! Best places to shop?

Smuterella

One Too Many
what sort of shopping are you after? You have to go to Selfridges, thats a must. but if you want vintage there is so much choice...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
what sort of shopping are you after? You have to go to Selfridges, thats a must. but if you want vintage there is so much choice...

definitly vintage, like full skirted dresses, but also more 40's pencil suits. Maybe modern shops that has amazing, very high, in-expensive shoes..

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
I'm no Lady but besides Vintage- do definitely have a look in Liberty, especially if you're visiting Selfridges.

B
T

Oh thanks! I need all the tips I can get. I have been to London a few times before but that is loong ago.

Eyemo said:
Cardiff!!.. lol ...
Seriousley... try to get to Bath... it's fantastic!

Cardiff & Bath? Can you be more specific??

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Liberty is known for it's exclusive prints- so fabric is worth looking at but they also have an amazing designer area which reminds me of a shopping mall food court- a feast for the eyes(unless I'm thinking of someplace else)-some smaller, exclusive designers and always some retro styles.

A few years back, I bought my Wife a circle skirt with a fantastic Cowboy print but she returned it...

You need to get a list of vintage shops- there used to be a good one for Ladies, with a large stock near Covent Garden(tube) but I don't know the name of it. Notting Hill/Portabello Rd. market- shops and market stalls.
The Charity shops in posh areas- one acroos the road from Notting Hill Gate tube station and a few over the other side, in Kensington, off High St. Kensington. The London Ladies must be able to fill in the details, I've been away far too long.

Have fun.

B
T

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'm glad it's not just me! I've disliked the Camden crowds for the entire 16 years that I've lived in London but like Dolly says there are a few places to ferret around there.

You like reproduction lines don't you Darhling? so you may like to check out Vivien of Holloway under the arches in Camden.

She makes dozens of different reproduction 40's and 50's lines in some very nice fabrics. The price isn't cheap and the sizing is very limited. Most of her dresses seem to be cut for one figure shape only (it struck me that you'd need to be at least a 34" in the band size to make her bodices work), but you may find it works for you so it would be worth a look whilst you there.

Here is the website: http://www.vivienofholloway.com/

You may also like to jump onto the tube and stop off at Ladbroke Grove station which is in the heart of Portobello Market. Here are hundreds of market stalls many selling vintage clothing and accessories. There are some terrific jewellery bargains to be had if you are happy to dig in.

You will also find the illustrious reproduction lingerie shop "What Katie Did" in the shopping arcade under the bridge. You are probably familiar with the wonderful things they sell, the staff are super friendly and helpful and you get to try everything on! I won't paste a link here as it may go against the FL regulations, but if you google it you should be able to find directions on how to get there. Saturday is the best day to go to Portobello.

I agree with AdaVeen Alfies Antiques market is worth a visit, the best vintage clothing shop there is "The Girl Can't Help It" which has some amazing cherry picked American vintage clothing. It is expensive but it's worth going to see the Marilyn Monroe dress that they have on display there alone, even if you don't buy anything. Here is the photo gallery on the website:http://www.alfiesantiques.com/gallery.php

The vintage shop that has been mentioned being near to Covent Garden is "Blackout" and is stuffed with 40's through to 70's clothes and accessories. It's never been quite my cup of tea as it is way too stuffed full and pretty disorganised but you may like to have a quick perusal.

I just found this list whilst searching for Blackout, it's pretty good and should keep you busy for the day http://www.theswingbunch.co.uk/links3.htm

Oh and Selfridges is full of goodies, Agent Provocatuer lingerie, also Besame cosmetics can be found there. They also have a HUGE shoes department........

Hope that helps give you a head start, have an amazing time!:)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
WOW! Thank you ALL for your replies, I think it will be enough to keep me occupied for much longer than my stay! I'll be out on my own thursday & friday I think, since they might have to work and then we'll go out together on the weekend, so I am sure they have stuff to show me aswell. It will be great though, I love London!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
If you are free on the Friday then definitely go to Portobello Market early that day. Much better than the Saturday. You need to get down to the Ladbroke Grove end of the market under the 'sails' (this will make sense when you see it!)

Nothing vintage in London is cheap but at Portobello you will see lots of interesting stuff. You can work your way back down to Notting Hill Gate. If the arcades are open it is worth nipping into them as well.

Camden is not what it was, but probably still worth a nosey. Alfies is always worth a look, especially The Girl Can't Help It on the ground floor. The whole market is a really nice experience.

Oh, and if you do make it to Bath (in the West Country - near Wales), I always come away with vintage goodies! Bad for my bank account......

Have fun!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
thank you Miss Sis for those tips!! it will really help that I try to organize my shopping, so I don't miss out on something.

Also, I don't think I will have time to make it to either Bath or Cardiff on this trip (sorry Eyemo :D )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav