Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I CAN handle the truth...

Canadave

One Too Many
OK, time to lay it on the line. Don't hold back. You can tell me...I'm boned, aren't I???

I've been trying to find an old hat on eBay (and in some vintage clothing shops) for about 2 months now. Nothing even close to my size. I know I'm in the top 99th percentile or so of head sizes, but I'm beginning to think that big heads didn't exist in the old days. Maybe guys with big melons were buried in their hats. Maybe once they were gone, family members used their hats to carry 10 lbs of potatoes or a dozen softballs. I don't know...I'm out of theories.

Anyone else?

Thinking of putting my head in a vice,

David

Sergei

Gone Home
So I Married an Axe Murderer

One of my favorite dialogues from a movie, "So I Married an Axe Murderer":
Stewart: (Charlie's Dad) William! Move your head! Look at the size of that boy's head!

Tony: Shhhh!

Stewart: I'm not kidding, that's like an orange on a toothpick!

Tony: Shh! You're going to give the kid a complex.

Stewart: Well, that's a huge noggin! That's a virtual planetoid! Has its own weather system! Head! Move!

You wanted honest, you got a "funny" honest. :)

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: So I Married an Axe Murderer

Originally posted by Sergei
You wanted honest, you got a "funny" honest. :)

It's alright, I love that scene too, except it's pronounced, "HEED!"

Here's another quote;

Stewart: (Charlie's Dad) Head! Paper! Now!
Move that melon of yours and get the paper if you can!
Haulin' that gargantuan cranium about!
I'm not kidding, that boy's head's like Sputnik!
Spherical, but quick pointy in parts.
Well, that was off sides, wasn't it?
He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight on his *huge* pillow!

D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
just think about it

Dave, I get this question alot in the shop from both sexes so I have developed a question rather than an answer. When asked why there are no large sizes available I mention that nutrition is better than at any time in history and we work less. If you have doubts , when is the last time you had to shoot your dinner?

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Well, I have a Chemistry teacher with the same problem. The key is I like you and I HATE him, lol. Now if he came up to me asking to help him find a hat, you can imagine what my answer would be. But you on the other hand are a member of the Lounge and therefore I will help ya out. I wear a 6 7/8, quit small indeed, you are way on the other side of the spectrum, but I can promise you I will keep my eyes open for a hat for you, as I ebay a lot, way more than I should. It is true, your irregualr size may have not been very common in the old days, or today for that matter. But we shall find you a lid.:cool2:

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ When asked why there are no large sizes available I mention that nutrition is better than at any time in history and we work less?¢‚Ǩ¬¶
Art, I'm not sure that really applies to extremes of head size. Do you think my huge noggin is related to nutrition? I don't. I think my maternal grandfather had a big cranium. If nutrition was the answer, there would be a lot of 7 7/8s walking the earth now, and there just aren't, right?

Originally posted by Bogie1943
?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ I can promise you I will keep my eyes open for a hat for you, as I ebay a lot, way more than I should. It is true, your irregualr size may have not been very common in the old days, or today for that matter. But we shall find you a lid.:cool2:
Thanks a lot, Bogie1943...I like your optimism!

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
I think i've found you a Vintage summer time straw. Its your size.
'LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52370&item=8105583229&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
You're a riot, SHARPTOYS! :D Keep your eye out for a vintage felt.

Thanks all!

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave, I am speaking in general terms of course. Yes, part of your "crisis" is hereditery, but as a whole we have grown larger as a species and yes, we ARE seeing larger heads as well as all other parts. The average head size today is 7 1/4 while prior to WWII it was 7. I can only imagine where we will be in another 50 yrs.))

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
...The average head size today is 7 1/4 while prior to WWII it was 7. I can only imagine where we will be in another 50 yrs.))

In 50 years? Let's see...7 1/2? Still a pinhead in my books! :D

Art, I love these statistics. Man, 7 1/4 is average? That really puts my "crisis" in perspective. What percentage of people have 7 7/8 would you say? 1%? Less than that?

Thanks for the info,

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Canadave, this is my take on sizes. Hat makers made all sizes! Also, some would go in and be fitted for a hat to fit their head. I believe the reason for the lack of larger sized hats on the vintage side is that they have been worn out! This is why you see a lot of smaller sizes are because there were no buyers. The large sizes also have been snapped up by other collectors as well. The film industry has been known to make cretin vintage clothing items disappear as well! Most men had a 7 1/8 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 this is true. But, there were guys out there with your problem even back then! You know that whole idea that people were smaller on a whole? Well, it is some what true. Meaning, that if it was completely true I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have any vintage suits or shoes in my closet!!! There were tall guys, and guys with large heads! I have been blessed and I ware a 71/4 but, I still run into a lot of size 63/8 or 7?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Art has been one to find big sized hats! Some of them are way too big for me! So, keep up the search my friend and never give up!!! That is why I have such a large collection of vintage in my size is because I wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t going to give up the search! And I never do.

Persistence my friend, persistence!

Good luck.

Canadave

One Too Many
Thanks again ST. That's pretty nice, but I think that going from 1/2 to 7/8 is a bit too much of a stretch. This has been discussed in other posts, including one I started, and it seems the consensus is that 3/4 to 7/8 is more feasable. I'm watching for both these sizes.

Thanks for your concern about me and my "giant" head! :p

David

Fedora

Vendor
I doubt is that is is a true size 9 1/8. Probably a 7 1/8. Plus, it does not look BIG enough. A hat that large would basically be the size of a 5 gallon bucket, just shorter. LOL regards, Fedora

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, it doesn't look too big at that. A size 9? I have never heard of such a size. Any way, they say that it's from the 20's. Not so, it's from the late 50's or early 60's.

Biltmore made some fine hats! I have one and it's from the late 30's or early 40's. I love that hat! Very sharp looking with a trolley wire and the original feather.

Good luck on your search canadave! I'll keep my eyes out for large sized hats for you too!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic