Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Greetings all.
I have two Akubras - Blue Mountains in Bluegrass and the Tablelands in Brown Olive, size 59 (7 1/4). This whole quest started a few years ago after watching the Justified series.
I have a fairly narrow face and hesitated before getting the larger Blue Mountains after already having the tablelands. However as you can see, despite being a born and raised Rhodesian - I have very fair skin and wanted a hat that could offer better protection against the sun.
I am busy watching Justified city primeval and again it has spurred me on to look for my next hat. The rough Rider was the one that came to mind first having that real western look. However when I Saw that the brim is even bigger than the Blue Mountains I figured that it really would not look good on me. I started figuring that I would go in the other direction and look at a Fed IV as a winter hat (such as winter is in Southern California) and one that I may keep in my garaged car to wear instead of a cap that I usually use every time I exit the car.
My plan is to go for one of the deluxe models and to bash it myself.
As always I look to the experts here to let me know if my thinking is sound!
Any color suggestions would be useful too.
Right now there is no stock in my size. When there is stock I want to make sure I have finished with my research.
View attachment 537884 View attachment 537883

How about this? Can’t go wrong with Lee Van Cleef as a doppelgänger! ;-)

IMG_5308.jpeg

Who?

Practically Family
Greetings all.
I have two Akubras - Blue Mountains in Bluegrass and the Tablelands in Brown Olive, size 59 (7 1/4). This whole quest started a few years ago after watching the Justified series.
I have a fairly narrow face and hesitated before getting the larger Blue Mountains after already having the tablelands. However as you can see, despite being a born and raised Rhodesian - I have very fair skin and wanted a hat that could offer better protection against the sun.
I am busy watching Justified city primeval and again it has spurred me on to look for my next hat. The rough Rider was the one that came to mind first having that real western look. However when I Saw that the brim is even bigger than the Blue Mountains I figured that it really would not look good on me. I started figuring that I would go in the other direction and look at a Fed IV as a winter hat (such as winter is in Southern California) and one that I may keep in my garaged car to wear instead of a cap that I usually use every time I exit the car.
My plan is to go for one of the deluxe models and to bash it myself.
As always I look to the experts here to let me know if my thinking is sound!
Any color suggestions would be useful too.
Right now there is no stock in my size. When there is stock I want to make sure I have finished with my
I think they both look fine on you.

Don’t overthink it.

What is your size?

Last edited:
I think they both look fine on you.

Don’t overthink it.
I agree. We current hat wearers sometimes tend to be a little obsessive over the exact shapes and measurements of our beloved hats (or ones that might become beloved some day) to the point that 1/8 of an inch of felt suddenly informs our decision-making process and, while you're still trying to figure it out, someone else buys the object of your affliction and goes happily on with their life completely unaware that they've just crushed your future.

Remember--to everyone else, you're just a guy in a hat. Some will appreciate your personal choice(s) in headwear, most won't care.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Color choice is completely subjective.

Of the five or so choices available for a Fed IV, I have brown, carbon gray, and Tawny Fawn. I never wear the tawny Fawn although the other two get regular wear.

Some say the Heritage model is better enough to justify the increased price. For my first one, the brown one, I went with the base model to see if I liked it. I did, and went for the other two in the base model. I may still get a Heritage one day. Maybe in moonstone.

Go to their website, look at the colors, and make your best edumacated guess.

Who?

Practically Family
I agree. We current hat wearers sometimes tend to be a little obsessive over the exact shapes and measurements of our beloved hats (or ones that might become beloved some day) to the point that 1/8 of an inch of felt suddenly informs our decision-making process and, while you're still trying to figure it out, someone else buys the object of your affliction and goes happily on with their life completely unaware that they've just crushed your future.

Remember--to everyone else, you're just a guy in a hat. Some will appreciate your personal choice(s) in headwear, most won't care.
Bingo!

Well said!

Streak

New in Town
Thanks. I guess that when in doubt get both! Same applies to all my other interests. Waiting for the folks at The Hattery to get in to the office and we will then discuss the various options.

Last edited:
When I go out in public, I get an occasional compliment from both men and women.

No one hides their children, no one giggles and points their finger, and no swaggering, smirking teenagers come up to me and say “Man ….. you look like a real dork in that hat.”

Not even once.

I’ve been told I look ridiculous and like a real dork for wearing several of my hats. My wife and daughters work hard to keep my ego in check. :)

I’ve been told I look ridiculous and like a real dork for wearing several of my hats. My wife and daughters work hard to keep my ego in check. :)

One of the things I adored about my late wife was that she was able to be absolutely honest with me about pretty much everything. With regards to my hats, if she didn't like "hat X" for whatever reason she would simply say something like, "Oh, that looks nice on you. Just don't ever wear it when you're with me, please." Fortunately, she knew she could count on me for equally honest comments on clothing she either liked, or was uncertain about. We weren't cruel about those things, but we each expected honest reactions and knew that was what we'd get from each other.

Streak

New in Town
Thanks. I guess that when in doubt get both! Same applies to all my other interests. Waiting for the folks at The Hattery to get in to the office and we will then discuss the various options.
Thanks all for your input. Rough Rider in Loden is on he way Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn to follow in November. As always the folks at The Hattery were outstanding.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Those of you with hard water, any problems from steaming your hat with tap water?
I didn't have any trouble with my Fed IV or my Stetson. That said I don't know about giving it a hard soaking. I would recommend giving it a good brushing once you're done.

Minerals do not go into the steam.

Condensed steam is (essentially) pure water.

Not entirely true. Depending on pressure and volume, some minerals are soluble in steam. For our purposes, since we use wet, vs. superheated, steam, the likelihood of the droplets collecting particulates from the atmosphere is high. Even if not soluble, the steam can and will carry those particulates. So yes, under laboratory conditions with no possibility of contamination ,that would be true. Probably not so true with a Jiffy Steamer. But also minimal.

Probably the best reason to use distilled, vs. tap water,though, is to keep your equipment from getting scaley.

I would like an actual steamer. I used a kettle on the stove. Worked pretty good with my hard tap water. But I did clean the hat before and after.

You can pick up a new Jiffy Steamer for about $120-130. Or find a used one on eBay for a decent price.

We had one guy that used to use a Black and Decker industrial steamer. That sucker was serious business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24