Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
deenis said:
Would placing a new Fed IV into a washing machine help give it a good working over and improve its looks?

I wouldn’t have the guts, personally. Further, both of my Fed IVs have gotten satisfactorily broken in just in the wearing. I’m still massaging one side of the dent in my Buckubra Aero, but aside from that, I have no complaints about their stiffness.

-Dave

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
deenis said:
Would placing a new Fed IV into a washing machine help give it a good working over and improve its looks?
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:eek:

This will ruin the hat! I suggest giving it a good spritz with a spray bottle of distilled water to soften it a little and then shaping it with steam, but after that just let it soften with use. My standard Fed IV had softened quite a bit after a month of regular wear.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Fondle it...

When I get a new Akubra and after I've shaped it, I rub and bend the hat until it softens up. It only takes a few minutes, you just have to believe that squeezing the crown with your hand a few times won't kill it (it won't). I'm not talking about beating the hat up, but popping the sides in and out, flip-flopping the brim, pop the crown a few times. It's amazing how much it softens - particularly if you get caught in a little rain too.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I put a hat into a washing machine once, but that was after it had been completely stripped down for a reblock. And I didnt set the washer to agitate. I just filled it enough to completely submerge the hat.

I would highly recommend you not 'washing' your (whole) hat.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple of cellphone shots of my Federation at it's current state. Still in good condition since I've received it as a gift this recent Christmas. I enjoy wearing it, and wear it frequently, though sometimes I rotate to wearing my Panama on warmer days.

dsc00389or.jpg

dsc00390w.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
deenis said:
So, if I buy a FedIV only to find that it requires a full length of the foam insert provided to have a proper fit, should I have ordered the next half size down?

Well, yes, but the fed IV comes in full sizes only. Hatsdirect has said that the tape will reduce a hat by as much as one size.

frussell

One Too Many
Wait a While

All my Akubras, particularly my Fed IV have "shrunk to fit" nicely after a few weeks of wearing. I was using the felt in the Carbon Fed IV I bought around Christmas, and it's been removed now. Frank

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
deenis said:
So the question that I should have asked is, should I order the next size down?

I would not get the next size down though as the sweatband will shrink with use and you will find that after a while you will be able to remove some of the foam strips as the hat conforms to your head.

The best thing to do is call them or email them and give them your measurements and let them pick the size they think would be best.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ordered the same size as I wear and it was a drop big, but mostly on the sides, as the hats are regular ovals, and Im a long oval. I used some of the sizing foam on the sides, and after a short time, the sweat shrunk down to fit my head, I removed the foam tape, and it fit perfectly.

deenis

Familiar Face
Well the hat arrived and I have found that I only need 1/2 of the foam insert now. Looks like I will be ok once the hat shrinks a little. Thanks for your help guys! I will post pictures when I can find time. The hat looks great.

I was able to put the crease into the crown in about a minute. Very easy. Teardrop shape. Holding the hat by the front brim only, has bent the brim in the desired downward direction. I had trouble keeping the front dents in until I decided to put a strong crease in the front middle. Once I did that, the side dents stayed. No need for steam. The crown height is 4 inches in the front and 4 1/2 on the top middle.

I am very happy with this hat. It has a unique, masculine look about it. It won't replace my finer hats but it will be the hat I reach for when it is raining or if I am hiking......Deenis

Chascomm

New in Town
Time for me to join the chorus line

Here's the story:

Recently I came to the conclusion that it was time to replace the circa 1950 Australian made Royal Stetson Resort that I have used as my winter hat for several years now. It was given to me by my grandfather when he move to the seniors' home, so I'm not going to throw it away, but it is too worn out for regular use. Therefore what I needed was a heavy-duty tall black fedora that would go well with an overcoat.

A bit of research led me to this fine forum and from here to the Hattery in Katoomba (on-line). Shortly thereafter, a Federation IV made its way across the Nullabor to me. I put the kettle on the stove and set to work. Three sessions later I had it more or less where I wanted it. My first bash and I'm rather pleased with it. It's still looking a bit stiff and formal, but it'll wear in, I'm sure.

And here's the hat:

FedIV-front.jpg

FedIV-side.jpg

Just for comparison so you can see what my requirements were when I decided to commit to the Federation IV, here is my old Stetson beaten just how I like it:

Resort_front.jpg

Resort_side.jpg

I'll make some better pictures of the Fed IV soon, maybe once I've pummeled the brim a bit more. Doesn't curl easily on this hat. That would be my strongest criticism. Otherwise it's a damn fine piece of felt with which to express oneself creatively.

Chascomm

New in Town
Chuck Bobuck said:
Welcome to the Lounge Chascomm. Looks like you found a great replacement for the Stetson. Nice bash!
Thanks.

Here are some more photos that I hope pick up a few more of the details. Not an easy task with new black felt.

FedIV-side-right.jpg

FedIV-front-left.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Very nice. That black Fed IV looks like a hat worth many times more than they sell it for. Very nice indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner