Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Maybe the etsy seller miraculously lives nearby and I can go see it. Or maybe there's a return policy? If a vintage 7 1/2 cowboy hat at the antique store sat on top of my head it was so small, there's no prayer of a 7 1/8 fitting.

Oh well. I think I give up, but thank you for your insights and kindness!

Thanks for the continued help.

It hasn't been a great day in terms of my hat quest. I'm incredibly confused.

I tried on a hat downtown labeled "X-Large (7 1/2 - 7 5/8)" and it was the loosest hat I've ever put on. It was like a bucket. It wasn't even making contact with all sides of my head. It would have fallen right off if I even tilted my head down. (It was a hat by "Bruno Capelo Luxury Headwear," FWIW.)

At the other store downtown, both the L and XL were too small.

I did go downtown, but my city has seen better days.

The labels are undoubtedly incorrect. My head circumference is definitely no less than 23 1/4". The hat I've worn for years, a wool Stetson labeled L was very tight and I deformed it significantly through stretching.

What is also strange is that a really nice vintage cowboy hat I tried on at the antique shop was labeled 7 1/2 and was so small it just sat on top of my head. It was in great condition; baffling it shrank that much.

Worst news is that my hat arrived in the mail. It has a brim 1/2" wider than advertised and is too big for my head (at a label of XL). It looks pretty silly on me, really.

I guess I'm just filling you in. I don't think there's any helping me with this now. Maybe I'll make a trip to Pittsburgh and try some better known brands on.

Feeling a bit defeated at this point. Looks like I'll be dressing down for a while.
Trying on and buying hats labeled L, XL etc is folly. Each maker has a different definition of what that actually means. I often think that a hat with generic sizing like that is designed specifically to disappoint the largest number of buyers. Even with sized hats that are mass produced by the big boys like Stetson, Akubra etal there is variance...even within the marked measure.....one 7 3/8 might fit while another will not. The only way you will get a hat that you are satisfied with is to either try it on in person or commission a custom hat.

Have you identified if you are a Long Oval, Regular Oval, or an Extra Long Oval? This is an aspect that is on top of the actual measurement. If you are a LO then a 7 3/8" inch in a Reg Oval will not feel right on your head. If you are interested I can give you a way to determine your head shape.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Trying on and buying hats labeled L, XL etc is folly. Each maker has a different definition of what that actually means. I often think that a hat with generic sizing like that is designed specifically to disappoint the largest number of buyers. Even with sized hats that are mass produced by the big boys like Stetson, Akubra etal there is variance...even within the marked measure.....one 7 3/8 might fit while another will not. The only way you will get a hat that you are satisfied with is to either try it on in person or commission a custom hat.

Have you identified if you are a Long Oval, Regular Oval, or an Extra Long Oval? This is an aspect that is on top of the actual measurement. If you are a LO then a 7 3/8" inch in a Reg Oval will not feel right on your head. If you are interested I can give you a way to determine your head shape.

That certainly seems to be the case. I like the way you stated it, as well.

I have determined that the seller has a store 5 hours away. I hope I don't end up going on a whim to try on a hat that is 90% sure not to fit.

The only hat I've ever worn that has fit well was my first fedora. Got it for $20 from Burlington Coat Factory back when they still sold trench coats and fedoras. It was wool and would not impress anyone here, but it fit perfectly and looked good (I would have wanted a 1/4" wider brim with a little more flange, in hindsight). Maybe I'll put up Lost Hat posters if I'm ever back in Sarasota.

Yes, that would be a good thing to learn, if you'd be willing to share! Thanks belfast

That certainly seems to be the case. I like the way you stated it, as well.

I have determined that the seller has a store 5 hours away. I hope I don't end up going on a whim to try on a hat that is 90% sure not to fit.

The only hat I've ever worn that has fit well was my first fedora. Got it for $20 from Burlington Coat Factory back when they still sold trench coats and fedoras. It was wool and would not impress anyone here, but it fit perfectly and looked good (I would have wanted a 1/4" wider brim with a little more flange, in hindsight). Maybe I'll put up Lost Hat posters if I'm ever back in Sarasota.

Yes, that would be a good thing to learn, if you'd be willing to share! Thanks belfast
It really is easy ....You need 3 decent sized pipe cleaners in a decent weight. Join 3 together with a twist leaving an open end. Place around your head and twist it together where you would prefer a hat to sit. Gently remove it..easing it off your head without untwisting. Either post a pic or measure side to side and top to bottom...(inner dimension).

GP Henry

New in Town
Well the linked hat has a pressed in crease, so it's not super, duper old. The current Stetson Chatham is very, very similar, with a slightly slimmer ribbon, even has the suede finish.

https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/IT503.htm

The Stetson Downs is essentially the same in regular finish felt:
https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TF22100723DWNS.htm

In addition to the Chatham and Downs Delmonico carries the Stetson Mercury which has a 2" brim. Narrow down your size and call Delmonico's for some advise. They are a good shop to deal with.
https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TF22103820MCRY.htm

Larger sizes in vintage hats are more difficult to find because fewer were made and sold - average head sizes remain smaller than 7 1/2 to this day, though they've appeared to get larger over the years. Currently, 7 1/4 is seen to be the sweet spot, and there is mucho competition for hats of that size. Get bigger and the pool of available hats is reduced, as is the number of those competing for them. Put that together, and you can see some pretty high prices for larger sized vintage hats.

Wasn’t there a survey/poll of members hat sizes here on The Lounge? As I recall, 7 3/8 was the average. As you said, the better vintage hats in larger sizes are not often cheap.

Wasn’t there a survey/poll of members hat sizes here on The Lounge? As I recall, 7 3/8 was the average. As you said, the better vintage hats in larger sizes are not often cheap.
Unless we're thinking of two different polls, 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 were the most common sizes. I remember that because I thought smaller sizes would have been more prevalent 80-100 years ago. Unfortunately, the links I found leading to that thread are now broken and lead nowhere.

I did find this poll, but it's results are different from the one I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Unless we're thinking of two different polls, 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 were the most common sizes. I remember that because I thought smaller sizes would have been more prevalent 80-100 years ago. Unfortunately, the links I found leading to that thread are now broken and lead nowhere.

I did find this poll, but it's results are different from the one I mentioned above.

You should bump that old survey. We need people to complete the survey though and not just comment in the thread as often happens.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Stetson Mercury

Does anyone know how long the Mercury has been around? It definitely seems to be what I'm looking for. I want to buy something as vintage as possible; that is my second priority after having the aesthetics I'm looking for met.

@belfastboy With help from a gentleman at Hatterie Inc. - a brick and mortar hat shop in Akron - I determined that I am most likely a 7-3/8 LO, at least in Stetsons. I hope that doesn't complicate my search, the LO part.

Does anyone know how long the Mercury has been around? It definitely seems to be what I'm looking for. I want to buy something as vintage as possible; that is my second priority after having the aesthetics I'm looking for met.

@belfastboy With help from a gentleman at Hatterie Inc. - a brick and mortar hat shop in Akron - I determined that I am most likely a 7-3/8 LO, at least in Stetsons. I hope that doesn't complicate my search, the LO part.
The good news is that Stetson marks their hats if they are LO. The bad news is it narrows the field by a lot. Depends how patient you are. Check out Miami Bruno on Ebay he offers 1940's vintage and often has 7 3/8". Good hats, fair pricing, quality seller.

If you want vintage quality stay away from modern Stetsons......not a fan here.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
The good news is that Stetson marks their hats if they are LO. The bad news is it narrows the field by a lot. Depends how patient you are. Check out Miami Bruno on Ebay he offers 1940's vintage and often has 7 3/8". Good hats, fair pricing, quality seller.

Thank you for the info. I was unable to find that seller on eBay.

If anyone knows of a vintage 2" brim, 4.5" crown, black fur felt teardrop (preferably raw edge), I'd appreciate any guidance

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I don't recall ever seeing a "Mercury" in the vintage ads. Generally the hats with the pressed in factory creases came around in the late 60's. "Vintage as possible" is a tad oxymoronic for a hat with a pressed in crease.

Most hats do not have a model identifier on them anyway. There are a boatload of 2" brim hats on eBay though.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Supporting JLee’s opinion, I have not seen any pre-60s Stetson Mercury hats.

Edit: Ha! I proved myself wrong with a one second search:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-mercury-fedora.37402/

I am guessing you will be looking for most pre-60s models, as 2 inch brims were pretty common then and stingy brims less so.

Keep asking questions and we’ll keep trying to answer ;)

For reference:
These are Miami Bruno’s current items, no hats right now. He usually posts on Sunday.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno/m.html

If you look at his completed items you will get a decent feel for the market.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno...om&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Good luck!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I am guessing you will be looking for most pre-60s models, as 2 inch brims were pretty common then and stingy brims less so.

For reference:
These are Miami Bruno’s current items, no hats right now. He usually posts on Sunday.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno...om&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Good luck!

Well dang, I even like the original! The modern version seems to only borrow the name and not styling.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Keep asking questions and we’ll keep trying to answer

Thanks very much!

I went to advanced search and searched sellers and couldn't find that. So thank you.

I will keep my options open and consider brands outside of Stetson. I've been wearing a Stetson for several years, but for even longer I've been wearing a black teardrop top- so that's all I'm adamant about. That and progressing from a 1-3/4" brim to a 2"

I'll keep browsing this site, ebay, and etsy in hopes of finding something

And wow, that Mercury is so different from the modern one! :0

Thanks again!

Snowman

Practically Family

For reference:

Good luck!
I have bought a couple of hats from @Miamibruno, and I’ve been pleased.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
What's the general consensus on velour hats? (Affordability, durability, etc.)

I think I'm narrowing the field incredibly with each new preference.

(Not saying I am set on velour, but it seems fancier than wool and , well, I'd only personally consider second hand fur)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ