Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I say, could you please tell me...

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
...how to pronounce Savile Row? (Mind you, I think I can handle the second word. :) )

I've only seen it in print, never heard it said. I've been looking around the 'net, but can't find anything.

My assumption has been, sah-VEEL. (ah in place of schwa, that is.)

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
In UK it's just prounced very quickly, as Savil, with no emphasis on any syllable and certainly without spliting the word up into two.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1972. I was walking down New Bond Street in London. I stopped and asked a doorman standing in front of a pricey store how I could find 'Suf-ill' Row. He promptly corrected me, asking "Do you mean 'Salve-ul' Row.?" Oh. Yes. That's exactly what I mean.

Since that day I've always referred to it as Savile Row. Especially #3. A very historic location!

Apple-Label-3-Saville-Row-Pos-33642.jpg

-dixon cannon

Trampilot

Familiar Face
*barges in*

"Oi! 'oim inglish an ay ken speak propah.."

Correct pro is: Savill Row (rhyming with low). However different accents in England may make it sound more like "Savull Row".

S

Samsa

Watch "Withnail & I" for details on correct pronunciation. One of my favorite scenes in that movie...

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
funny this should come up. i was just talking to an older british gentleman yesterday and i mentioned that i'd gotten a seville row suit and he quickly corrected me and said its pronounced savil:p

Marq

Familiar Face
DeeDub said:
...how to pronounce Savile Row? (Mind you, I think I can handle the second word. :) )

I've only seen it in print, never heard it said. I've been looking around the 'net, but can't find anything.

My assumption has been, sah-VEEL. (ah in place of schwa, that is.)
No it is pronounced Sav-all row but really fast.I should know i'm a cockney and all that born in Bow within the sound of Bow bells...........Paul

RedPop4

One Too Many
I MUST hijack this thread for a few posts.
I see a few Britons on this post, including a true Cockney. What football club does a TRUE Cockney support? And the rest of you?

Yes, I know. :eek:fftopic:
Thanks to all for their patience with my boorish, yobbish ways.
My apologies.

Marq

Familiar Face
we don't have our own football team but i suppose Tottenham hotspurs would be the nearest.I'm one of the only Brits that ain't into football or sport lol................Paul

RedPop4

One Too Many
That's not the case, exactly. My organ-builder is from Teeside and isn't into football. He enjoys motorsport which appeals to his sense of the mechanical seeing he builds pipe organs for a living.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Marq said:
we don't have our own football team but i suppose Tottenham hotspurs would be the nearest.I'm one of the only Brits that ain't into football or sport lol................Paul

SPURS!!! West Ham United is the THE ONLY "cockney" football team... however I note you aren't interested in football so Spurs will do fine for you... Apologies to everyone who doesn't understand what I'm talking about and I won't mention it again. Anyway I don't live far from Bow and I'm not even a West Ham supporter!

Welcome aboard Paul!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Trampilot said:
SPURS!!! West Ham United is the THE ONLY "cockney" football team... however I note you aren't interested in football so Spurs will do fine for you... Apologies to everyone who doesn't understand what I'm talking about and I won't mention it again. Anyway I don't live far from Bow and I'm not even a West Ham supporter!

Welcome aboard Paul!
lol lol lol lol lol
Heck, Irons even have a YANK!!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
That's What I Like About the Lounge

The natural segues from one topic to another.

Just like a real conversation.

:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner