Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you only had one old rifle, which?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Doug, I agree with Mr. Finch. You need a .22 rifle, and the Marlin model 39 is really a great way to go. It's been made for over a hundred years, essentially unchanged. Especially considering that you don't really know "why" you want a rifle, and exactly what you'd use it for. A lot of folks have posted a lot of interesting rifles, and though all are certainly "classic", I don't think they would suit you, at least not right off. If you were to buy a larger-caliber rifle, you may end up regretting your purchase for one reason or another. You will NEVER regret getting a fine little gun like a Marlin 39! Even after "graduating" to larger guns, the .22LR will always be useful, and always fun to shoot! Put the super cheapness and availability of .22LR ammunition together with the rock solid, super smooth, exceptional quality of a Marlin lever gun, and you have a winning combination that you can use all your life and pass down to your children and grandchildren. ;)

All that, and I don't have one!!!! Always wanted one, but never got around to it. My current favorite .22 is a CZ452 bolt action.
CZ22.jpg

My intention is to (eventually...) restock it with a cheekpiece, put on a better looking triggerguard, and I need to make a new sear, as it stops the bolt just a little bit too far back...the cock notch barely passes the end of the receiver. I made a temporary fix with a piece of steel inletted with a shaped groove in it.

I've got too many other things to work on...

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
I have a decent stash of the .303 South African surplus stuff from about 7 years ago. Really good ammo, almost as good as the Greek HXP. Alas, that is most likely the last we will see of it.:(

Cooncat Bob, that is one fine looking rifle! Is that a Sharps Rifle Co or C. Sharps? Pedersoli? Regardless, a fine rifle none the less. Awesome stock.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
The Outlaw Kyle said:
I have a decent stash of the .303 South African surplus stuff from about 7 years ago. Really good ammo, almost as good as the Greek HXP. Alas, that is most likely the last we will see of it.:(

Cooncat Bob, that is one fine looking rifle! Is that a Sharps Rifle Co or C. Sharps? Pedersoli? Regardless, a fine rifle none the less. Awesome stock.

It's a Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter with a half round heavy barrel with semi fancy wood which was standard on that rifle then. I ordered it in the mid 90s when the waiting period was 5 years (it's now 14 to 16 months). The fit and finish is perfection. Check out their web site and watch the video on how they make their Rifles. Bob.
http://www.shilohrifle.com

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had built a Lancaster Rifle from a kit a while back similar to this one and it is one of my favorite shooters. Not overly practical, but a load of fun at the shooting range.
kit-isaac-haines-x-b-profile-flint_1.jpg

I had also built a Brown Bess Musket kit as well and it makes a nice trap gun.
kit-1746-brown-bess_1.jpg

And of you load a tightly patched .75 cal. round ball in it you can actually do some accurate target shooting with it out to 75 yards or hit a 1'x1' gong out at around 200 yards consistantly. Not too shabby for a smooth bore.

Cheers!

Dan

Jovan

Suspended
Diamondback said:
Probably because of the prevalece of modern .308 Winchester/.308 NATO, would be my guess. (NATO ammo is generally hotter-loaded than the civilian market--DO NOT put 9mm NATO through something only rated for Parabellum/Luger, unlesss you wanna spend a while picking shrapnel outta your face!)

Only one old rifle? Make mine an M14, complete with "Da Switch" and grenade-launcher...:D
If you mean the fire selector, well... good luck finding one that still fires full auto. (Though I guess the crew of Face/Off found some.) That, and I think they all come with 10 round magazines only now.

Jovan said:
If you mean the fire selector, well... good luck finding one that still fires full auto. (Though I guess the crew of Face/Off found some.) That, and I think they all come with 10 round magazines only now.
They're expensive, but if you're in a state without an NFA-toys ban and have the $$$, they can be had. And 10-round mags are mainly for places like California and Massachusetts (where they haven't already been classed as "evil ugly black rifles to be banned"*snort*), here in WA I can still get the good ones, and in most other states too.

Jovan

Suspended
Interesting. I guess Springfield only gives you the 10 round ones, though I could have sworn they issued reduced capacity ones in Vietnam for snipers, etc.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
Interesting. I guess Springfield only gives you the 10 round ones, though I could have sworn they issued reduced capacity ones in Vietnam for snipers, etc.

There have always been 5 and 10 rounders available so you may be right.

Springfield shipped with 10's during the ban (which was only a ban on new magazine production, it did not affect sale or possession of existing magazines) but the 20 rounders were available without interruption (subject to a very few states laws) throughout.

Not sure if Springfield Armory is still only shipping with 10's, but at $35 a pop (and the price they want for the M1A's :rolleyes: ) it'd be nice if they gave just one standard capacity mag for free.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't mind 10 rounds... it's not like I'm actually going to war or anything. It would be nice to have 20 round mags though, considering the ban ended three years ago.

Why do they call them M1As now? Are they any different from the original design?

carebear

Jovan said:
I don't mind 10 rounds... it's not like I'm actually going to war or anything. It would be nice to have 20 round mags though, considering the ban ended three years ago.

Why do they call them M1As now? Are they any different from the original design?

M1A is just SA's designation for their commercial semi-only version of the M14, other manufacturers (Fulton, Norinco, etc.) just call theirs "M14". There's no provision in the receiver for a "drop-in" full auto sear, it has to be machined in similar to current production AR-15s.

Like I was saying, even during the production ban you could buy the 20 rounders, there were enough surplus and existing stocks (the guns had been around for 30 years) that they didn't even go up in price too much (if you shopped around). That was one of the stupid parts of the ban, except for new guns that hadn't had time to build up stocks of magazines, standard capacity mags were freely available at very little price change throughout its term.

carebear

Getting away from full auto dreaming...

If I had to pick just one rifle, I'd take my '03 Springfield (sporterized). The .30-06 cartridge will take any animal on the continent with appropriate bullet weights/styles and it is accurate enough for any purpose I'd be likely to use it for.

carebear

jamespowers said:
So will the 460 Weatherby magnum though. :D

Not with my shoulder. :D

On a serious note, the .460, or any of the other heavies, wouldn't be my choice for true long-range shooting (as opposed to hunting) which I like to do.

carebear said:
Not with my shoulder. :D

On a serious note, the .460, or any of the other heavies, wouldn't be my choice for true long-range shooting (as opposed to hunting) which I like to do.

Aw come on. A few miles radius isn't long range enough for you? :p The 460 is a beast but it doesn't kick that much. The spitting fire and smoke.....well, you might have something there. :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner