Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impact of no label on vintage leather jacket values

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
I have a general question about vintage leather jacket prices. I know some brand names (Hercules, Aero, etc.) have a certain intrinsic value. But what about jackets of similar style and condition with no label where the manufacturer is unknown? Does this decrease the potential value of an otherwise desirable jacket?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It shouldn't matter, of course not. But unfortunately it does. Really we the buyers have made it like this simply because we want things cheaper so will use this to get the price down.
If it's a cool looking garment does it make it un cool for something you cannot really see? Greed says "Yes" I suppose.

And what about a garment that's easy to identify, regardless of the missing brand label? Like in example, a Lewis Leathers that's missing the inside label but still has the outside LL patch and obviously is an LL beyond any doubt? Would that decrease its value?

Edward

Bartender
And what about a garment that's easy to identify, regardless of the missing brand label? Like in example, a Lewis Leathers that's missing the inside label but still has the outside LL patch and obviously is an LL beyond any doubt? Would that decrease its value?

I'd say yes, because a missing label is something that detracts from condition - a mint jacket being something that looks 'as-new', with label and everything intact. However, if the provenance is not in question (i.e. clearly a genuine Lewis Leathers / Aviakit and not one of th many, similar jackets that were available in the UK at the time), this won't hit the overall value of the jacket to the same extent as itg simple being an unidentifiable-maker jacket.

In theory, a great jacket should be a grt jacket should be a great jacket, but all done and said, brand does matter - whether you're someone who wants a genuine Lewis jacket, or relies on a brand for its original purpose, being am arker of known origin and therefore a known quantity in the quality stakes.

Interestingly, per conversations elsewhere on Lewis, I've just turned up this little gem:

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/museum/lew01.htm

It seems that while, by the late eighties / early nineties Lewis Leathers were making jackets that really aren't what they had classically been doing, there is also another pretender out there donig wholly different jackets and just branding them "Lewis"....

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
Maybe I should start a separate thread for this related question, but are there any print or web based price guides out there for vintage leather jackets?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

In the end, something is only worth what someone is ready to pay for it!

If a missing label has no importance to you, and you are happy to pay a price that doesn't represent a missing label, then go for it.
But i understand that some people, me included, will not want to pay the same price for a jacket with and without tag.

technovox

One Too Many
A provenance of a piece, whether it’s a jacket or art or design, definitely adds to the price. The label, original zippers, snaps and hardware on a jacket help to tell the origin and date of manufacture, and to a collector that’s all important information and part of the value.

However, I’ve owned several Harley Sportster horsehide Café Racers without the label- fortunately the design is so distinctive, that I knew instantly that they were Harleys. And since the price was very reasonable, and I’m the one wearing them, the label wasn’t as important. Likewise, I’ve purchased several Cal Leathers motorcycle jackets without a label.
But I've found that the general rule of thumb is that if there’s a label on them, the price typically goes up.

Huh, interesting points. I never really thought the missing label would affect the price if there's no doubt about the origin of the jacket but it would make sense someone would prefer their vintage jacket to be complete. I personally don't care for the label as long as I am sure of the maker - but then again, I don't really care much for the brand either, if the jacket is exactly what I want. But I see what you mean. Makes sense.

I discovered most of these old brands by going after a certain style I liked first, like Kehoe, Reed, Becks, etc.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
In my experience, no label cuts the value in half. If it's a desirable or recognizable maker, it can cut it even more. It's not just true of jackets. A Stetson hat marked open road will sell for double an identical Stetson without the model name on the sweatband. People like having something recognizable and easy to collect and show off. You say a '30s Hercules or a '50s buco of whatever model and people in the community know what you're talking about and ooh and aah in a way that something that has to be taken on its own merits- something unmarked or unusual simply won't illicit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good!!! Means I won't ever get tempted to sell my LL. Not that I'm thinking about it, it's probably my all time favorite jacket.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
As a buyer I do like labels. As a Seller I'm not too sure who else is interested in labels. Labels don't describe the quality of the jacket, often don't identify the maker. I have several nice vintage jackets that have no labels, never had one that I can see. I've had them that lost their labels too. I've got one going up for sale that has lost it's label, but still maintains it's dignity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot