Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the spirit of the Queen Mary...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
up196 said:
Set in the 1930s with Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Lili Taylor, Alfred Molina, Tony Shalhoub and Steve Buscemi, as "Happy" Franks

B00000ICUW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1057211970_.jpg
But! How dare you not mention the irresistible Isabella Rossellini or the always delicious Allison Janney? :rolleyes:

Mojito

One Too Many
Re A Night to Remember:

GOK said:
Agreed - always gives me goosebumps.

It has that affect on me as well, no matter how many times I view it.

I've interviewed quite a few family members of those associated with the sinking, both those who had relatives that survived and those who lost loved ones. Among these is the lovely niece of 4th Officer Boxhall - she visited him on the set when he acted as a technical advisor on the movie, and was already a friend of Kenneth More's when the film was made.

Possibly the most powerful comments about the movie I heard came from the niece of one of the officers who perished. She described how profoundly affected and deeply saddened her father was when the movie was released, as he watched his brother on screen and the events that led to his death. Having never really been reconciled to what had occured nearly fifty years before, it brought all the old grief back. A testimony to the poignancy of the movie and the enduring pain of the tragedy.

Borrow your sinking ship, please?

A recollection that some of the sinking scenes in "A Night to Remember" were actually borrowed from another film. I want to say German, maybe Nazi era film making. Can't remember the detals now.

Mojito

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
A recollection that some of the sinking scenes in "A Night to Remember" were actually borrowed from another film. I want to say German, maybe Nazi era film making. Can't remember the detals now.
Absolutely correct, John - A Night to Remember recycled some footage from Herbert Selpin's 1943 Nazi propaganda flick Titanic. I watched it with a German friend and fellow maritime researcher who provided a running translation/commentary - the historic distortions are hilarious. E.g. Herr Peterson - the only competant (and German) officer on board, who warns the Captain against excessive speed and, once the collision has occured, makes heroic attempts at saving everyone with a glorious stiff Aryan upper lip. He even rescues White Star Line chairman J Bruce Ismay in order that he should face justice - but, of course, there is no justice among those corrupt, decadent English who let Ismay go free...

Naturally, Herr Peterson is a complete fabrication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran