Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In which WWII army should you have fought?

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
twobarbreak said:
haha, funny test... I got Finland! with that said, i think i would have broke Simo Hayha's sniper record during the winter war!!!:eusa_clap

Good luck with that, granted his last one was the sniper that was sent out to stop him, and he almost did it, the exploding bullet only hit him in the jaw. Simo Hayha racked up that list with iron sites, he did not like the scopes he said that he had to rise up too much to use the scope propperly.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I tied for British and Commonwealth and US.

For those who might be interested, go to Google, and type in "French Military Victories", then click on the "I'm feeling lucky" button. You will be directed to "Did you mean French Military Defeats?", and will see a very humorous summary of the French at war.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Ecuador Jim said:
I tied for British and Commonwealth and US.

For those who might be interested, go to Google, and type in "French Military Victories", then click on the "I'm feeling lucky" button. You will be directed to "Did you mean French Military Defeats?", and will see a very humorous summary of the French at war.

:eek:fftopic: ...and there is a whole book on the american ditto.

91deeb6709a06def79ca3110_AA240_.L.jpg

Can we stop pointing fingers, and get back to the subject now?;)

Viva Il Duce!

Yes, i should've been an Italian, apparently.

I think it would be down to my defeatist attitude, and complete lack of respect for "authority" just because they have rank. The President/King/Duce/Führer needs to work for my respect, and i'm not going to obey a general just because he ponces around with some stars on his hat.

Give me some espresso and pasta. Only two of us so far, and we're both expressing disdain for authority. Hmmmmnnn

bk

Hey Spitfire, that (US military disasters) must be a pretty long book* and in need of some recent updating!

Spitfire said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Well said, dhermann1.
I am almost through reading Churchills "Memoirs of WWII" - and even old Winston had plenty of admiration for the french army, navy and airforce.

I just finished volume 4 (building up for Sicily). Agreed on his respect for the French. But De Gaulle really does live up to his billing. Arrogant, self obsessed and, frankly, xenophobic (yeah, a Brit calling anyone else xenophbic, right? Pot, this is kettle, you're black).

bk

*as for every other country

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Baron, how come that I somehow knew you would be italian? Wasn't surpised at all...;) La Dolce Vita!:D
Remember in Catch22 when the old italian man on the brothel tells about why italians are survivors...

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I spose Italy and Finland are rather close. Less suicide tendency, no "Fuhrer command - we shall obey", no winning by steamrollers and sacrificing the masses and the like. French and Italian partisans would be rather different than their official armies, though.

KL15

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
KL15 - All the french????
It's too easy to put peolpe in boxes. But please don't do it here.:rolleyes:

I thought I specified that I was talking about the ones I've met. If I didn't I apologize.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Churchill's WW II

Baron Kurtz said:
I just finished volume 4 (building up for Sicily). Agreed on his respect for the French. But De Gaulle really does live up to his billing. Arrogant, self obsessed and, frankly, xenophobic (yeah, a Brit calling anyone else xenophbic, right? Pot, this is kettle, you're black).
bk
*as for every other country
We must have our own little book club going with out realizing it. I'm on page 215 of volume 5. Great stuff! Highly entertaining, tho having gotten this far, and having recently read Robert Sherwood's "Roosevelt and Hopkins, I'm a little tired of reading long memoes and telegrams quoted at length.
You can certainly see why Churchill always said "This is not history, this is my case!" about the books. I really want to find some independent opinions about the whole Italian campaign, for example. He is at great pains to dispel the belief that he was not in favor of the cross channel invasion. I take him at his word. You should add to your list, if you haven't read them already, General Brooke's (aka Lord Alanbrooke) 2 volumes of diaries. He's another character that's hard to figure.
We definitely have to have a FL meet up at Chartwel some day. In full mufti.
BTW, you'd really have to call WSC the least xenophobic Brit of all time, don't you think?

leaette

A-List Customer
rafboys.jpg

;)[/QUOTE]

:eek:fftopic: hey i know that guy on the right. he's a reenactor here in the east coast. was married to a friend of mine. nice guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo