Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones: Bane of Vintage Enthusiasts

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Not to become a self-appointed moderator, but... this thread is not about who thinks who is insignificant (although the infinite ironies of all that entails might be fun to discuss). Could we all just let the irrelevant talk stop. This is one of the first threads on this topic to remain civil in direct relation to the topic itself. I'd like to see it survive.

So... getting back on topic...

I normally get ruffled by comments that amount to looking down on Indiana Jones. But the article states it's case without being malicious, and doesn't actually look down at or blame IJ for the issues that result. In a way, popular culture has always been both a boon and a menace to the things they spotlight. You must take the good with the bad. The bad being being the possible mutilation of beautiful hat. :( The good being that Indy has proven to be a doorway by which many enter into the vintage world.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok lets take this back to the point.

Now StetsonHomburg you say "horrors it's facing!" now that is funny. I love cowboy hats and the stuff I have seen done to them here on the lounge - Oh my:eek: . In fact here is the thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23489&highlight=conversion But someone paid for that hat and they can do with it what they want. In fact some of the conversions come out really nice. Thats just my opinion. So if someone wants to Convert a homburg, all the power to them.

As for the Indiana Jones thing..... I don't know anyone who does not like him. Most people say he is awesome, cool and kick ass. I have never heard anything negative. So if I remind someone on the street of him and they shout "Hay Indy" I don't think they are making fun of me. But if someone is making fun of me... should I really give it a second thought? No. I don't care what they think. I am not trying to look like Indiana Jones, I am Protecting myself from the sun/snow/rain and whatever else life throws at me.

My two cents

Johnny

Panache

A-List Customer
A brown battered fedora and a well worn brown leather jacket happens to be a great look and it is a look that Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones made iconic. When I wear my brown fedora with or without the leather jacket I get a fair share of "Indy" comments. I have never taken the least bit of offense because frankly Harrison Ford is a ruggedly handsome fellow and Indiana Jones is a stylish and heroic character. I'm having trouble understanding why people would think being compared to Indy is such an awful thing.

There is a generation of young children and younger people that went to see the last Indian Jones movie or enjoyed the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and promtly got an "Indy" fedora. Thus the character of Indiana Jones is inspiring folks to actually own and wear a hat that isn't a baseball cap!

I have trouble seeing this as anything but good.

To a lot of people tuxes are associated with James Bond

As a wearer of highland attire I get a lot of "You must be a piper?" Now I'm not but I just smile and "no but I certainly enjoy them".

If people can't deal with a few remarks about Indiana Jones then perhaps wearing hats aren't for them. lol

Life is too short to get worked up about the little stuff

Cheers

Jamie

Pretty much anything that helps the hat industry is fine with me. I find some of the stances on this board to be too restrictive (no taper, high crown, highly pounced beaver felt, pliable felt, > 2 inch brim, ect) but that is just my opinion.

Panache

A-List Customer
And thinking about it further

Indiana Jones is stalwart, brave, honorable, and has style

Isn't there a little Indiana Jones in all of us ;)

DSC05918.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

MCrider

A-List Customer
The only problem I have with Indiana Jones is when I go to ebay and see a nice vintage hat thats been given a tight "Indy" crease to try and sell the hat. If you're doing that to a modern Akubra or Stetson Temple fine, but leave the vintage alone! LOL

Of course the way the prices have skyrocketed recently it's been a while since I could afford a hat from there anyways.

cptjeff

Practically Family
MCrider said:
The only problem I have with Indiana Jones is when I go to ebay and see a nice vintage hat thats been given a tight "Indy" crease to try and sell the hat. If you're doing that to a modern Akubra or Stetson Temple fine, but leave the vintage alone! LOL

Of course the way the prices have skyrocketed recently it's been a while since I could afford a hat from there anyways.

Why not do it? If it's not to your liking you can change it back yourself, it's not as if it'll permanently damage the felt.

rrog

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
The author is a well respected member of this site, and the debate over Indy has been done to death - usually resulting in locked threads.
Run a search.

Well, Lefty, I fail to see where you're telling anybody what or what not to write. I see this as a dead-on statement about the Indy issue as it has played out time and again here on TFL. I'm just not sure where the sensitivity might be coming from, as I don't sense any malice or ill will in your statement. [huh]

rrog

Burton

One of the Regulars
MisterCairo, I get what you are saying and agree. This is a pertinent topic.

In 1982 I went on my first expedition to New Guinea. I wore a brown fedora type hat that was sold by the "old" Banana Republic company. Upon my return the hit movie playing that summer was Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was critical of the movie at that time but years and many more adventures of my own now love the IJ series. I have had moments though when I wish the movies had never been made like a trip to Petra years ago where I remember approaching a group of tourists and having then break into the IJ theme song. Good fun really.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Panache said:
A brown battered fedora and a well worn brown leather jacket happens to be a great look and it is a look that Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones made iconic. When I wear my brown fedora with or without the leather jacket I get a fair share of "Indy" comments. I have never taken the least bit of offense because frankly Harrison Ford is a ruggedly handsome fellow and Indiana Jones is a stylish and heroic character. I'm having trouble understanding why people would think being compared to Indy is such an awful thing.

There is a generation of young children and younger people that went to see the last Indian Jones movie or enjoyed the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and promtly got an "Indy" fedora. Thus the character of Indiana Jones is inspiring folks to actually own and wear a hat that isn't a baseball cap!

I have trouble seeing this as anything but good.

To a lot of people tuxes are associated with James Bond

As a wearer of highland attire I get a lot of "You must be a piper?" Now I'm not but I just smile and "no but I certainly enjoy them".

If people can't deal with a few remarks about Indiana Jones then perhaps wearing hats aren't for them. lol

Life is too short to get worked up about the little stuff

Cheers

Jamie

Well I am one of those younger people.... and I can't stand Indy... I got my Fedora's and Homburg's because of Winston Churchill :D

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Panache said:
And thinking about it further

Indiana Jones is stalwart, brave, honorable, and has style

Isn't there a little Indiana Jones in all of us ;)

DSC05918.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Not so much. When I see photos of people purposely dressing like Indiana Jones (or any movie character for that matter) the picture always reminds me of people wearing Star Trek uniforms which takes me to Willian Shatner's Saturday Night Live skit.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
StetsonHomburg said:
Well I am one of those younger people.... and I can't stand Indy... I got my Fedora's and Homburg's because of Winston Churchill :D

But in a way, that doesn't really make you any different than those of us who got our fedoras because of Indy, does it? ;)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
He is a Fictional character portrayed by Harison Ford...

It says right here in wikipedia ... "Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr.[1] is a fictional adventurer,"

oh bugger ... that's my life ruined.... :eek:

What does it say about Zorro, Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner