Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insurance coverage for jackets?

just wondering if anyone has insured personal jacket collections, and how they went about doing so. Thanks.

RJR

just wondering if anyone has insured personal jacket collections, and how they went about doing so. Thanks.
I can't tell where you are located;so just generalities.
Standard Homeowners policies automatically cover personal property up to certain limits.Personal property includes clothing.Usually the coverage is on a actual cash value basis meaning original cost/value less applicable depreciation.That determination can be a real problem in some cases.
Most homeowners insurers will endorse policies to include specifically described and valued items;most common are jewelry,furs,guns,etc.Whether your insurer will endorse to cover a jacket collection is something you need to determine.
If your homeowners company won't do this there are quite a few markets that will consider specialty items....there are quite a few US markets but Lloyds of London is an example.
Hope this helps.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you have any home insurance you can insert a clause to cover any specific item, for example my Wurlitzer Juke Box has such cover. I have some very expensive made to measure suits that are all covered under my general contents. In the column marked apparel all I have to do is put a figure that it would cost me to replace the contents of my wardrobe. The insurers have never quibbled. Is there a reason why you are asking about insurance?

Just curious how folks were going about it, if they even were. Part of HO or separate policy? How the policies pay claims, etc.

Thanks to both of you. I have an inquiry with my provider to see if the HO as it stands works or if I should add it to my wife's jewelry policy.

powersci

One of the Regulars
My insurer let me know that I would need a rider for my jackets. Many of my jackets are shearling and they consider that to be fur. They told me I had to have all my jackets appraised before they would write the rider. Unfortunately, I've had trouble finding an appraiser without having to take all my items in to someone like a furrier to get the appraisal. Until I do that, my insurer said that without the rider they'd cover up to $5k in loss for one or two jacket (forgot which number).

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Hi
I did it via the biggest German Insurance Co.
Had to do a lot of documenting with evidence and cost estimates done via a named consultant from the insurance Co. Since I only have military jackets ( most of them with a receipt), it was quite easy.
All good now!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Standard policy should cover? As long as total is enough?
Better check it out....with a formal confirmation...listing all you want to have.
My local rep. sales person...confirmed it all without any formality. After asking for details...only excuses and standby calls....at the end...apologies and ...”yes ...you need supporting invoices documents expertises” ...etc...so make a real contract out of it...thats my 2 dime advice......My inssured value is only 12.600,-Euro for my jackets and flight suits.
My military watches, ....different story...they ask me to store them in a bank and safe...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs