Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interchangeable Hat Ribbons

Edward

Bartender
While reading Slim's thread about his custom hat gift and various folks' suggestions as to changing the ribbon colour, a thought occurred to me. Remember those watches (ladies', generally) that they used to sell in the 80s where you could change the colour of the bezel and/or the strap to one of six different colours to coordinate it with your outfit for the day / evening? I was wondering whether there was ever an attempt to do something like that with hats. Think something along the lines of those military pre-formed pugareees that clip on around the body of the hat. Seems to me that this is a gimmick that might have been tried at one point in hat history, bearing in mind that back in the day the average person probably couldn't afford more than one or two hats. I suppose most folks went with a neutral coloured ribbon that matched the 'hat that goes with anyting,' but there must have been some adventurous souls who would have fancied something else?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This was common for straw boaters. With no real flexing of the hat, it would be easy to slide a different band over the hat. With the curve and flexing of a felt hat, however, I'd think it would be difficult.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a very old Panama, perhaps '20s, that was sold rolled in a tube.
It came with two elastic ribbons with different color patterns.
Yes, I should photograph and post this... I should also sell it because
it is too small for me. But I don't because the ribbons are so cool.

So the idea, if I wasn't clear, was that you'd unroll the hat (which has
no sweatband), drop a ribbon on it, and plop it on your head.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, as a hat-collecting kid (e.g., my avatar pic!) I bought a new boater from a dedicated hat store back in around 1967, and I vividly recall the hatter changing the ribbon right in front of me - from a plain black one to the classic blue/red stripe. He did it in about a minute, virtually effortlessly.

I still have that boater, but along with most of my other hats from those days, it's two sizes too small now, alas...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
wicks1906hatbands.jpg

Wickhatbands1908.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, The print in those ads is too large. Can you possibly make it a tad smaller? :rolleyes:

If I read correctly, it says the 2' band will fit virtually any type of hat and fastens with "unique little hooks" right over the existing hat band and
will turn your boring hat into a Club or Varsity hat. At least I think that's the gist.

Now, where do we get these nifty hat bands? Anyone looked up Wick's yet? GO !!!!!!!!!!

18476r.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Please forward all requests to vintageads4u.com, as they've so thoughtfully provided me with scores of free reference materials though their ebay auctions. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR