Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it safe to wear my hat in the rain? Is it up quality/waterproofness?

bobm

A-List Customer
A little rain won't hurt a fur felt. But if you're going to stand out in the rain, I'd wear a beater old hat, or get an Akubra. The reason is that some brims get misshapen in the rain. Or the leather sweatband will shrink. They can always be put right again, but I, as a non-do-it-yourselfer, have to pay someone to recitfy them, and I don't like doing that often. I now own several beaters and have bought a couple of cowboy hats for conversion to rain hats, and will get an Akubra soon. They will take on rain duties for me.

I am very curious, as I have a new Akubra Banjo Paterson. Why do you recommend Akubra's for the rain?

Bob

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I am very curious, as I have a new Akubra Banjo Paterson. Why do you recommend Akubra's for the rain?

Bob
Akubra's are made by a firm in Australia that STILL makes hats for folks who work and wear hats OUTSIDE in ALL sorts of extremes of wearther. They make their own felt and as such they make the truly last of the "...fan the fire, water the horse" quality of hat in the world. ALL of their hats, no matter the style, are made to this sort of standard and you can't go wrong with an Akubra. I have worn Akubra's for over 30 years now and will ALWAYS wear an AKUBRA :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Bob

Adding to what monbla says above, I can state from personal experience after a few years of wearing my Akubra Fed IV, that this hat is great for the rain. The quality of the Akubra felt, relative to the price you pay is second to none.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Your hat is there to protect you from the elements, not vice versa. ;)
But a hat will not protect your clothing in a downpour.[huh] Seriously, it is folly to think that a hat can render an umbrella useless.

bobm

A-List Customer
Thanks guys, but here's another question. My Banjo Patterson Akubra was a bit stiffer in the crown then I expected (not complaining), through time and the elements (like most things;>))does the felt get softer?

Bob

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys, but here's another question. My Pan Banjo Akruba was a bit stiffer in the crown then I expected (not complaining), through time and the elements (like most things;>))does the felt get softer?

Bob
Yes. Give it time and weather. It's not a 21st century type of immediate thing. Wear it and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
And here I thought Americans were silly. You Brits make some of the finest brollys made and you refuse to use them.

james_smith_umbrella_store_650x400.jpg

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I agree with A.C. Lyles. You might want to think about curbing your hatred for umbrellas and carry one when it looks like it could rain. While hats are meant to protect you from the wind, cold, and a little bit of the damp, I'm not sure you need to be wearing it in a downpour without the use of an umbrella.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bob

I confess I don't yet have an Akubra. But from all I have read on this website over the last 18 months, Akubras can be counted on to stand up to rain, and seem to be made partly with that purpose in mind. This point has been repeated over time, so I believe it. What I personally know is that all hats can't be counted on to come out of heavy rain in good shape, and to know that one brand can, is useful.

Last edited:

Mr. Bingley

Familiar Face
I can't speak for London but here in NYC I find that the combination of a good hat and a goretex jacket beats an umbrella any day of the week, year-round. The garbage cans are full of broken, inside-out umbrella husks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner