Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Where's the line?

A lot of the issues appearing were tackled, rather well, I think, over here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39885

in respect of the "how much you believe in what you're wearing sorts out whether it's a costume or not" angle. But there's more here, I think: and the dividing line is so indistinct, perhaps you can only see it out of the corner of your eye, when you're not looking right at it....but, I think: it's there.

There are MANY things I would want very much to wear...and some I've bought or had made...because of their associations, if you will. Love the look...and I'd have no trouble wearing them because of what OTHER people thought (believe me: I can back this statement up)...but the fact is...they just don't look good on me. I'm built round, and there are just things that--while looking fabulous on those that can wear them--I honestly feel look horrid on me, and there's not much I can do about that.

So: is that "fear," or a rational appreciation of what (for lack of a better word) we'll call...."good taste"? I'm hoping it's the latter...:rolleyes:

"Skeet"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, if we could change our bodies I'm sure the "something you really want to wear" list would be a lot longer, at least for me! I love those heavily beaded '20s dresses, but they seem cut for leggy, willowy, slightly boyish women.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Need you ask???

PrettySquareGal said:
So who's going to be the first one to wear what they want and report back to us with pics of them wearing it in public? :)
It's your thread,...so,...the ball's in your court as they say. :)
(Expecting that pic by tomorrow, if not sometime this evening.)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
So who's going to be the first one to wear what they want and report back to us with pics of them wearing it in public? :)
Tweed jackets. For some reason I find that I can get away with vintage looking suits which are blue, grey, black or pinstripe but not tweeds. Possibly because they are associated with old people in England, whereas other vintage suits (like pinstripe) are not because they aren't usually worn by older people.

And as SP mentioned, capes. I have one black wool cape with a red lining which I originally bought at an antiques fair to look like Dracula. So far I've only managed to wear it at Hallowe'en with a black suit, as it just is too costumey for any other occaision I am likely to attend.
Come September or October I will wear my cloak with a dark suit and hat I deem suitable (unfortunately no topper as I currently can't afford more than a cardboard one). Maybe even the black silver-topped cane I made myself. It sounds horrible but I want it to be cold enough for once.

As for the tweed jackets, I may wear them at some point this following week, maybe if I am to meet any friends of mine so that I won't be all alone. I have ones light enough for the weather we are currently having.

Being in this forum really helps my confidence, as I know that I am not someone strange but there are other completely normal people who simply have an unusual (by modern standards) dress sense.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]
So: is that "fear," or a rational appreciation of what (for lack of a better word) we'll call...."good taste"? I'm hoping it's the latter...:rolleyes:

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

I'm racking my brain. But the only time I'm ever afraid to wear something out is when it won't look good on me at all. And if that was the case I would not want to wear the piece.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
It's your thread,...so,...the ball's in your court as they say. :)
(Expecting that pic by tomorrow, if not sometime this evening.)

Well, my coat is for the fall and it's very spring like outside! Plus, it's packed away!

(I will be AWOL from here over the next week as ai move!)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
Being in this forum really helps my confidence, as I know that I am not someone strange but there are other completely normal people who simply have an unusual (by modern standards) dress sense.

:eusa_clap

lady eel

New in Town
"Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?"

absolutely not! life's too short, take chances with fashion

rosebowldrunk2.jpg

monkeycoat2.jpg

of course I was working the flea market so, I'm not totally put together but I also take chances when I clean up

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Charlie Noodles said:
I'm racking my brain. But the only time I'm ever afraid to wear something out is when it won't look good on me at all. And if that was the case I would not want to wear the piece.

Exactly. But...I think a lot of the "fear" expressed here might well be put in that category as well...in other words, counfounding "fear" with "desire tempered with thinking better of it." However, we can ALL convince ourselves of things we would prefer...so I think there is some point in looking closely at the distinction.

To take a case in point, and one directly related to the FL: As I say, I'm...round. And of a certain age :rolleyes: i.e., 55. Now, until blowing into here, I never would have considered an A2 jacket...wasn't even on my screen. But my father was, in fact, in the USAAF...so I began to rather like the idea of getting one as a sort of tribute. But, let's face it: those jackets were meant for young, lean military types: perhaps not QUITE so specifically as say, a West Point blouse, with it's converging rows of buttons, pigeon-breast, and wasp waist...but, nonetheless. You'd have to be a fool not to worry about....well, looking like a fool (call it fear); but I also was quite convinced that it just wouldn't look well...and, if you're laying down that kind of money...you would want to be QUITE sure (call it fear).

But then our fellow-Lounger Spitfire published this:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=776477&postcount=7532
He's built about the same; he's roughly the same age; and I, for one, think he looks first-rate. So, now my perceptions have changed (I still have to wonder where the money might come from, so you aren't liable to see a picture any time soon...but I promise, if it ever happens, you will).

Which of these positions...both thought out with a good deal of attention, but completely opposite...is the "true" one? Was it actually "fear" and not "taste" that made me discount an A2? You would have had a very difficult time convincing me of that...but it might be true.

Sigh.
"Skeet"

Foofoogal

Banned
He's built about the same; he's roughly the same age; and I, for one, think he looks first-rate. So, now my perceptions have changed (I still have to wonder where the money might come from, so you aren't liable to see a picture any time soon...but I promise, if it ever happens, you will).

Which of these positions...both thought out with a good deal of attention, but completely opposite...is the "true" one? Was it actually "fear" and not "taste" that made me discount an A2? You would have had a very difficult time convincing me of that...but it might be true.

I think I am understanding you.

BTW: I think any man looks great in any leather jacket or a sweater. I am a fool for both. Throw on some good smellin cologne and you are good to go..

I am not sure why I cannot bring myself either to wear leopard or animal print but I also think ladies that wear it look first rate. I also don't think badly of anyone and it is a look I admire. It may be even if I would wear it I would go overboard. For now I live vicariously thru my friend. She gets great leopard stuff from me.
Maybe one day I will jump in the pool. :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Foofoo, do you wear any at all, or just not in large doses? For instance, I see many women's winter hats with just a "leopard" brim or jackets with just the collar, a fabric body - something like that would probably look darling on you, and it might be a way to ease in?

Foofoogal

Banned
I will not wear it at all. I know it is weird. I tried on a blouse once and loved it but could not bring myself to wear it.
As a young girl someone I knew had a Tigress perfume bottle. I even loved it and remember it and Evening in Paris perfume more than any others.
Maybe this will be my year to do this.
Believe me when I say I am usually fearless in talking to anyone and such.
lol
http://www.fashiondig.com/shop/detail.asp?ItemMasterID=18675&ItemID=34042
one of a kind. even has the turban.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
So I bought this dress over a year ago and for whatever reason, I have yet to wear it - maybe I'm chicken. I think the real reason is I feel like it is something either a little girl or old lady would wear and I'd prefer to dress like neither. Plus it is from the '60's... way out of my style comfort zone.
IMG_3625.jpg

Perhaps, just for the heck of it, I'll wear it tomorrow.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
I have a 60's faux cheetah skin coat and it's so fun but I don't have the courage to wear it because it's so...loud (compared to what I usually wear).

Do you have something vintage that you'd love to wear but lack the courage to do it?

cheetahk.jpg
Oh my god, that's FABULOUS!
I have one too:
n1572660046_30018152_770-1.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Oh ClaraB, you should, it's darling! It would look lovely with your hair color too... please do!
IMG_3625.jpg

I think things that make you nervous/ embarrassed/ scared or make you feel butterflies in your stomach are good for you! They're exciting, stimulating, challenging, and remind you that you're alive. Push your limits, dive in head over heels! If you don't feel confident, just pretend! It brings out the child in you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner