Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IS THIS "LEGHORN" STRAW?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
adamstraw1.jpg

What is Leghorn straw?

adamstraw2.jpg

Foghorn101.jpg

Well, ya' see, pay attention when ah'm talkin' to ya' boy!...now...odd kid there...

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I have seen more than one straw type with a factory stamp on the sweat "Leghorn". When I started to research, I found the term Leghorn was used on all straws that passed through that particular port in Italy.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
That is an extremely interesting and thought-provoking article, RBH.

So, "Leghorn" straw is made from strands of Tuscan wheat. Might be a hat I wouldn't mind eating. Good for the bowels, don't you know.

But seriously, the article's final paragraph states "The Italian Milan and Leghorn straws are very well known and are perhaps the most popular and most expensive hats on the market" got me to thinking:

This article was dated 1919--5 years after the main work of building the Panama Canal was completed and only a year before its official opening. It is my understanding that the popularity of the "Panama hat" soared in the U.S. due to the laborers wearing them during the long process of building the canal which gave the Ecuadoran hat its name. Americans saw photos in newpapers and magazines of these remarkable straw hats, heard how well they worked, and sales took off.

Yet this article asserts that Italian straws were the most popular. What gives?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
But of course, Carouselvic, what was I thinking? Despite the the ascendancy of the Panama in the 19-teens, the predominantly Italian-made Boaters were still the dominant straw hat well into the "Jazz Age,"--judging from films and photos from the era.

It would be interesting to know just when the Panama overtook the Boater as the most popular straw hat in America. And where did the Western straw lie in the mix?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Garrett, if that hat was my size I would pull a Charlie Huang and threaten to kill you for it! Man what a cool lid. :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
re: Shorpy pic

Keep in mind that $50 in 1919 would be close to $600 or $700 today.
That's ana amazing pic. I had meant to post it here when it came up at Shorpy.com.

show us your leghorns

Let's see some more of those beautiful plaited straws from Livorno in Tuscany.

I have two... this Supernatural, a crispy and somewhat scratchy weave with a dramatic blocking and cream colored pug:

leghorn1.jpg

leghorn3.jpg

and this softer, older and more finely woven example from Stetson (more pictures of this hat here.)

legstets1.jpg

legstets7.jpg

legstets4.jpg

legstets3.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's the largest size that Google books would allow me to snag.
(from 1939, Life - the rest of the hat story is here.)

leghorn.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all
I found two little straws at the thrift store, looked right size for my nieces. Looked like similar construction, and on closer inspection I saw the Made in Italy on the tag of the branded one. Not knowing all my straw types that well yet, I thought I'd ask if these were a coarse leghorn, as they look different from milans I am familiar with. I must switch to tapatalk for the photos. BRB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner