Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is going on with this site???

Yes. And, I have tried multiple entries into the site. And, multiple computers and my phone as well. Same inconsistent results. I love it when the site works well, and detest the performance when it is delayed. Still wondering why the mods don't respond. Just crickets.

It’s the same for me. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it takes a few minutes to load a page, and sometimes it times out and never loads. When it’s slow I just give up and come back later.

I get the feel that it’s just the way it’s going to be so we should just accept it.

milandro

A-List Customer
I have used a word some time ago " stochastic " as in: "...stochastic | stəˈkastɪk | adjective technical having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analysed statistically but may not be predicted precisely. ..."
entering this site is stochastic , there is no way to know whether one will be able to log in and go about business or not

I have never been able to determine whether there is a " pattern", it works when it works and it doesn't if and when it doesn't .

Again, without offending anyone and recognising the selfless work happening behind the scenes . if the people manoeuvring the levers of the forum were able to fix this they would have done it.

The migration helped somewhat but problems persist, this is more than clear

On my laptop the "problems" seem to occur mostly on pages where a lot of image files (or sometimes very few) need to load, regardless of whether they're being uploaded to TFL's servers or linked to off-site. But, sometimes, even on pages with nearly all text it takes a while to load.

milandro

A-List Customer
I wish it was only on pages with a lot of weight!

The most important hurdle, for me, is the main page which I use to access the forum

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/

as describe other times before once you make contact , which may take several minutes, then is navigation not difficult , but the reason I called access STOCHASTIC is that there seem to be no rules at all (therefore impossible, to me to bring it under : " If you do this..... then this happens" ( publishing this answer took 15 seconds, editing it, just as much, and this is fast)

There are a tremendous number of moving parts running a site like this.
The complexity of the internal machinery makes it almost impossible to operate without the occasional hiccup.
IMG_1405.jpeg IMG_1427.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Those photos remind me an awful lot of the army ammunition plant I once worked at! It was indeed a very complex place, initially built as we were drug into WW II. The engineering and workmanship put into this "rush job" really are amazing even in this day and time. Sort of like touring a battleship from the same era - very impressive!

This site is impressive too, even if it does have frustrating glitches sometimes. I could probably fix most things at the plant or on a battleship, but I stand absolutely no chance with computers or electronics! ;)

We engineered & built a few data centers. The servers & all data banks are water cooled. The overhead piping for the waterlines are always color coded so you know at a glance if it is cool water coming from the chiller or hot water returning from the data banks. All the electrical conduit lines are color coded by voltage & in which direction the current is flowing.

IMG_4948.jpeg

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
The complexity of the internal machinery makes it almost impossible to operate without the occasional hiccup.

I can only imagine the number of things that can go wrong. But, there are many other forums that I frequent that have similar formats with text, picture and links imbedded. And, they work fine or if problems, usually rectified quickly. What I don't understand is why the moderators or those running the site, don't keep us informed. Hell, they haven't acknowledged the problem. So, lots of noise from the inmates. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, that they are aware of the months long intermittent problems and that they do care. If they don't know what is wrong, that is ok to say as well. Unfortunately, their silence can be misinterpreted as indifference, ignorance or passive neglect. Communication would be helpful and welcomed.

RBH

Bartender
I have no power other than merging threads with the same questions that have the same answers as have been ask a million times. Also to try and pat the backs of members who get their feelings hurt or have some real or imagined slight that was done to them.
I do not have the power to ban obnoxious members [I did in the past, and a few bit the dust] nor do I control who joins or what they post. What I can control is how the post are placed and threads are searched,hopefully merged for a easier search. It may be a lenghtly thread but the individual post are left to the members. At one time [long ago] there was around 15 post on the front page wanting information on certain hats. To me...it made sense to have it all in one thread. And that was among other times a decision, right or wrong, THAT I HAVE TO MAKE.
So if you believe you hear little from us 'tenders' it is because there is little we can offer.
You can rest assured that the ones who are in control are doing all in their power to correct anything that they can.

milandro

A-List Customer
I have no power other than merging threads with the same questions that have the same answers as have been ask a million times. Also to try and pat the backs of members who get their feelings hurt or have some real or imagined slight that was done to them.
I do not have the power to ban obnoxious members [I did in the past, and a few bit the dust] nor do I control who joins or what they post. What I can control is how the post are placed and threads are searched,hopefully merged for a easier search. It may be a lenghtly thread but the individual post are left to the members. At one time [long ago] there was around 15 post on the front page wanting information on certain hats. To me...it made sense to have it all in one thread. And that was among other times a decision, right or wrong, THAT I HAVE TO MAKE.
So if you believe you hear little from us 'tenders' it is because there is little we can offer.
You can rest assured that the ones who are in control are doing all in their power to correct anything that they can.
@RBH I don't think the matters mentioned in this thread are relative to the general running of the forum but in particular about the hiccups which we experience with the forum .

There has been very little in the manner of keeping people informed on what is going on, hence the posts.

On another note, sometimes it is very useful to group threads under a specific umbrella but it can be extremely frustrating to see a question being moved to " ask a question get an answer" when the question will disappear, quickly and will never ever be retrieved by anyone now or in future.

But I suppose each forum has its philosophy.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I can appreciate the challenges of running a site such as this.

Specifically on the topic of thread topics that have been covered before / merging threads …. It must be a tough call.

Yes, topics can become repetitive, but at the same time those very same topics are what we come here to chat about. to a certain degree, they all become repetitive, but that’s Ok Imho.

Anyway, good work and chin up to those who are managing this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner