Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Dating: Another Tweed

SteveN

One of the Regulars
G'Day Gentlemen,

The last jacket is another tweed, made by 'Dunn & Co' of Great Britain, apparently also out of business. This jacket is selling for $8.00.

Front:
IMG_0012.jpg

'Dunn & Co' label:
IMG_0010.jpg

The fabric is 'Harris Tweed':
IMG_0011.jpg

I found this link on Harris Tweed:
http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/g/8494/some-history.html

The lining has a tag saying that it's '100% viscose'.

Any guesses to the date of this one?

Cheers,
- Steve

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bartender Request.

Steven. Just, when you have a moment (and it saves the relevant Bartender having to do it), would you please merge all your similar 'jacket dating' threads under one banner please. Makes it easier viewing for all members, cheers.

Thanks for your help and cooperation with this ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
SteveN said:
G'Day Gentlemen,

The last jacket is another tweed, made by 'Dunn & Co' of Great Britain, apparently also out of business. This jacket is selling for $8.00.

Dunne is top quality tweed. That would be a good one and looks about 1960s.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
There should be a number on the Harris Tweed label. This can be used to identify when the cloth (but not the jacket) was made. Without doing so it is very difficult to date this type of jacket as they were made in the same form over several decades.

Dunn & Co. were once a common High Street name in the UK. Sort-of 'middle of the market'.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
There should be a number on the Harris Tweed label. This can be used to identify when the cloth (but not the jacket) was made. Without doing so it is very difficult to date this type of jacket as they were made in the same form over several decades.

Dunn & Co. were once a common High Street name in the UK. Sort-of 'middle of the market'.

Where exactly is the number, and how can it be used for dating the cloth? The only number on the label is Registered Trademark Number: 319214.

The only other labels I could find were the remnants of some paper labels in an outside lower pocket, but they've disintegrated and the text remaining is unreadable.

Cheers,
- SteveN

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I'm gonna say 1980s-90s.
Is that a 3 roll 2 lapel? Looks like it is - widens a bit after the middle button, to discourage use of the top one.

[huh] A what?

For those of us that don't yet speak Sartorial, would you tell me what a '3 roll 2 lapel' is? I've linked to come close-ups of the buttons & lapel.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Cheers,
- SteveN

Feraud

Bartender
SteveN said:
For those of us that don't yet speak Sartorial, would you tell me what a '3 roll 2 lapel' is? I've linked to come close-ups of the buttons & lapel.
That is fancy jargon used to denote a jacket made with three buttons but pressed to fasten with two.
Do not mistake this as a vintage feature. Modern jackets use this detail.

Here is one from JPress-
DSC03442.jpg

DSC03443.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Steven

If the label says 'The Harris Tweed Authority' it is after 1993 and will have one series of trade mark numbers. If it says 'Harris Tweed Association' it is between 1964 and 1993. The serial number was no doubt on the label that has disintegrated.

The history of Harris Tweed from its origins right up to the 1993 Act of Parliament has been published by Acair Ltd of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. This explains all about the serial numbers etc.

I would place your jacket at the midpoint of these - late 1960s to early 1980s. Dunn are very common - as Micawber says, as close as your nearest charity shop, where I have just taken three similar jackets.

SteveN said:
Where exactly is the number, and how can it be used for dating the cloth? The only number on the label is Registered Trademark Number: 319214.

The only other labels I could find were the remnants of some paper labels in an outside lower pocket, but they've disintegrated and the text remaining is unreadable.

Cheers,
- SteveN

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know of any links for dating Harris Tweed? I'm surprised, but it appears there's nothing out there on the 'Net for dating the material.

Cheers,

- SteveN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen