Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jacket linings and carrying experiences

Fiver64

Practically Family
Hello all, New to the FL and enjoying the varied discussions immensely! I have seen "carrying" mentioned a few times, but was wondering something regarding lining material and concelled carry problems.

Obviously, I DON'T wish for this to become a pro-gun debate, but rather sound advice from other educated individuals regarding concealled carry and linings of jackets. I'm more interested in the jackets than the weapons or political ideology. Let's just say that my job requires carrying and leave it at that. ;)

I have many jackets with many linings and frankly, I find that some linings snag or grab the grip (depending on grip material, of course). I would be interested in hearing what others have found to be the best wearing and least restrictive lining for that casual AERO/VANSON type short jacket. Or, even recommendations for jackets that you may have found lend to a gentlemanly look, yet tactical function.

I have found that worsted wool can sometimes fuzz-out rapidly from rubbing on the stocks and that acetate (ick) tears easily. I just picked up a used AERO HIGHWAYMAN with worsted wool that seems to be wearing OK for now. Cotton drill seems to be the toughest, but not always comfortable as whole.

Of course, much depends on HOW you carry. Shoulder rigs would cause a bit more abrasion, I should think, though I rarely carry that way. My preferred method is cross-draw, IWB (butt forward). I find this is most comfortable for driving and sitting and tends to grab the jacket lining least, but it has it's own drawbacks.

Any experiences from our distinguished membership on the issue?

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I had good luck with an extra patch of satin/nylon material sewn inside a jacket lining corresponding to where gear would rub. Most tailors will recommend this off the bat if you address it with them. That way the patch wears before your jacket does, and can be replaced as appropriate. I tend to think that jacket linings won't be your main problem though, carrying cross-draw IWB. Can't say from personal experience, as cross-draw gives me the stone cold willies. If you carry farther back, you'll want something that doesn't have a baggy lining, something you can sweep past the holster easily. That's more down to fit than choice of fabrics, though. Your mileage may vary.

If your weapon is catching on jacket linings frequently, you should probably choose a weapon better suited to concealed carry.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I haven't worn my Aero (with alpaca wool lining) enough to opine on this issue. In any event, I don't carry on the waist much these days. I prefer pocket carry as it permits me to carry "one gun, one place, all the time". Hard to wear a cover garment in the heat of the summer here in the Northeast. It's also hard to keep your coat open in the extreme cold of the winter here in the Northeast. I've found that pocket carry, while limiting you to a relatively small and light sidearm, permits consistent carry in both situations.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Thanks for the feedback. Never thought about the silk idea...hmmmmmm. Any gun you carry and where carried tends to present it's own set of issues. Small gun.......small round........small stopping power. Big gun, big stop..... bigger concealment problems! The only thing I don't like about pistol pockets, unless carrying something really tiny, is the imprint you still see on the outside of the jacket, and also the snagging tendency of getting it out of the pocket. Not to mention the weight drag on that side of the jacket.

IMHO, the carry position has to be readily accessible as well as comfortable. I tend to keep mine near my wallet, IWB, where it's a natural movement to reach without having to unzip, unsnap or flip open pockets, and the bad-guy might not get paranoid when you reach for that location.

I'm also thinking that staying away from natural rubber grips in favor of smoother, hard materials might be beneficial.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Not to be rude, but this just seems like a rediculous topic. There is no difference between a gun or any other tool, either the lining piles and gets in the tool and becomes annoying as you have to clean it more often or it impedes functionality or the tool wears at the lining because the lining isnt resilient. I really think that half (or more) of the time carrying discussions come up its because people want to bring attention to the fact that they carry. Its called concealed for a reason people...

Furthermore, if you cant figure out what fabrics or methods will resist wear best when it comes to carrying, for your safety and the safety of others, you probably shouldnt be operating any type of tools with sharp edges or that fire projectiles in the first place.

Feraud

Bartender
JLStorm said:
Not to be rude, but this just seems like a rediculous topic. There is no difference between a gun or any other tool, either the lining piles and gets in the tool and becomes annoying as you have to clean it more often or it impedes functionality or the tool wears at the lining because the lining isnt resilient. I really think that half (or more) of the time carrying discussions come up its because people want to bring attention to the fact that they carry. Its called concealed for a reason people...

Furthermore, if you cant figure out what fabrics or methods will resist wear best when it comes to carrying, for your safety and the safety of others, you probably shouldnt be operating any type of tools with sharp edges or that fire projectiles in the first place.
Fiver64 is asking a legitimate question in regards to how a firearm will wear with certain materials. He is experienced with some materials and asking for other opinions.

The analogy between figuring out fabric wear and ability to operate tools is, not to be rude, ridiculous.

Here in Indiana it is called a "License To Carry Handgun" and need not "by law" be concealed. However...it is usually better politeness to do so in more public areas. Most business do prefer that a weapon be concealed for obvious reasons. I think that most reasonable people would rather not call attention that they are carrying a weapon..although there are always those who do consider it a macho thing to reveal the fact. In this case,in my view...this is an honest question reguarding carrying one.
Of course...on the flipside..there are those that go wacko with just the mention of the word "gun"...or "carry" and then must lecture on the subject. Never fails....
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Here in Indiana it is called a "License To Carry Handgun" and need not "by law" be concealed. However...it is usually better politeness to do so in more public areas. Most business do prefer that a weapon be concealed for obvious reasons. I think that most reasonable people would rather not call attention that they are carrying a weapon..although there are always those who do consider it a macho thing to reveal the fact. In this case,in my view...this is an honest question reguarding carrying one.
Of course...on the flipside..there are those that go wacko with just the mention of the word "gun"...or "carry" and then must lecture on the subject. Never fails....
HD
under a coat = concealed IMO. Im not an anti, believe me. I have a lot of experience with carrying of firearms open and concealed for work and in my personal time. Im sick of people needing to draw attention the their carrying of weapons and this just seems like what this thread is about. I mean really, is it that hard to figure out? If you have been working with a holstered weapon for any length of time this would be common sense, which only leaves the option of wanting to draw attention to one's self.

Im done with this thread, carry on.

JLStorm said:
under a coat = concealed IMO. Im not an anti, believe me. I have a lot of experience with carrying of firearms open and concealed for work and in my personal time. Im sick of people needing to draw attention the their carrying of weapons and this just seems like what this thread is about. I mean really, is it that hard to figure out? If you have been working with a holstered weapon for any length of time this would be common sense, which only leaves the option of wanting to draw attention to one's self.

Im done with this thread, carry on.

Really..my man...get a grip...
...preferedly one that doesn't snag...
(just kidding);)
HD

Fiver64

Practically Family
JLStorm is certainly entitled to an opinion......even an off-base one. I'll clarify.....for his sake. Try to follow here.......

The question, as stated, is NOT about guns. It's about fabric and valid opinions on what would be the best choice of linings when ordering an expensive custom made jacket costing lots of cash.

I do very much appreciate the other responses though. Food for thought. Thanks guys!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Fiver64 said:
The only thing I don't like about pistol pockets, unless carrying something really tiny, is the imprint you still see on the outside of the jacket, and also the snagging tendency of getting it out of the pocket. Not to mention the weight drag on that side of the jacket.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I carry in the front pants pocket, not the jacket. This permits carry in the heat of summer (e.g. shorts) or winter (e.g. in pants -- normally you only wear one layer of pants lol). Besides not needing a cover garment, this consistency in your method of carry builds more muscle memory in your draw stroke.

I used to compete in two IDPA clubs that permitted me to draw from a pocket holster. I figured I would compete with what I carried. It was interesting to see how people who normally carried on their belt would change their holsters during our Penguin matches (in the dead of winter) to their normal mode during the summer. I prefer to keep things simple, as your brain tends to lock during stress events.

Further, there are pocket holsters that will break up the imprint. I have several Kramer horsehide pocket holsters. The Kramer pocket holster features a Kydex layer on the outward facing edge to make it appear like you are carrying a wallet instead of a gun. Recently Kramer allegedly went through a change of ownership and their pocket holsters are shipped very tight (which is bad) so I cannot recommend them at the current time. I have only one DeSantis holster and while it is not on the same quality level as a Kramer horsehide, it works well enough.

On the subject of grips, I've never really had any issue with standard rubber grips. My S&W AirLite wears CT grips, which I believe are made by Uncle Mike's. They don't really snag on anything. I have seen some rubber grips (notably on Taurus small revolvers) that seem very sticky. I'd avoid those.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Great advice, Ace. I appreciate it! It's not so much "how" carried that I am overly concerned with, but rather the wear characteristics of the fabrics too. Since most OTC jackets come with either acetate or some other synthetic fabric, I'm used to what they do. However, if I'm going to plunk down serious coin an a new AERO something, I'm glad to get input on wear from those who know. I can honestly say that I have no idea how alpaca wool would wear!!!:p

I do have one of the older Kramer pocket holsters too.... as you say, they do well, but I rarely carry that small of a caliber except for perhaps a secondary back-up or for very hot summer days when it's all you can hide.

So, Ace...... what did you ever decide on the Mercury??? They allow me to post pics now, so if you would like I could give you an idea of how it looks! It's quickly becoming my favorite jacket!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I've used a variety of fabrics to reinforce or patch the area of a jacket where my CCW abrades the lining.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Thanks INUSUIT, Have you found any particular fabric to be better or more functional than another? What's your favorite and why?

You mentioned "patch." What type of material have you experienced wearing through and how long did it take?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Fiver64 said:
Thanks INUSUIT, Have you found any particular fabric to be better or more functional than another? What's your favorite and why?

You mentioned "patch." What type of material have you experienced wearing through and how long did it take?

For my Carhartt jacket lined with a blanket-like material, I used a denim iron-on patch. My heavy winter Carhartt parka has a black nylon lining that I reinforced with a patch of similar material from the scraps bin at a fabric store. Glued it in place with a contact glue called Barge's Cement. Barge's is used in leather work because it dries flexible. On my leather jacket, I had a seamstress sew in a patch of thin deerskin.

The "blanket" material (some nasty synthetic, not wool but with a similar surface texture) wore through over a winter in the course of almost daily wear with a KelTec P-40 carried IWB with a frame mounted clip. I've since started carrying a Kahr P9 in an IWB holster. This rig seems to be less abrasive. The other two patch jobs were preventative before holes or significant wear showed up in the lining.

Fiver64

Practically Family
thanks!

Great info! I appreciate it. Hate to wear holes in nice jackets if I don't need to, but didn't want interior to look patchwork either!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Fiver64 said:
So, Ace...... what did you ever decide on the Mercury??? They allow me to post pics now, so if you would like I could give you an idea of how it looks! It's quickly becoming my favorite jacket!

Still deciding on that one. I've had to cut back on my Aero spending for a while. I am waiting on a Veste de Rallye and in the meantime I have ton of home improvement projects to fund. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart