Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Cagney with hats...

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
Some pics of this Hollywood icon wearing hats...

A Lion is in the Streets
A_Lion_is_in_the_Streets.jpg

Angels With Dirty Faces
Angels_With_Dirty_Faces.jpg

Angels_With_Dirty_Faces1.jpg

Angels_With_Dirty_Faces2.jpg

Captains of the Clouds
Captains_of_the_Clouds.jpg

Each Dawn I Die
Each_Dawn_I_Die.jpg

G Men
G_Men.jpg

Jimmy the Gent
Jimmy_the_Gent.jpg

Jimmy_the_Gent1.jpg

The Mayor of Hell
The_Mayor_of_Hell.jpg

Ande1964

Practically Family
Great!

Awesome... thanks.

He was tiny li'l guy, wasn't he? There's a great Orson Welles quote about Cagney... I paraphrase:
"The key to acting is TRUTH. That's not the same as being realistic. There isn't a human ever who behaved like Cagney does on film, but you cannot find a single frame of his performances that isn't TRUE.

Anj

just_me

Practically Family
Cagney is my all time favorite actor and has been since I was about nine years old and saw him in Yankee Doodle Dandy on the Million Dollar Movie in NY. If there was one actor I would have liked to have met, it would have been him.

The one and only fan letter I ever wrote was to him. lol

He wasn't perfect as a person (though he seems to have been pretty good), but what an actor. Watch him really listen and react to the other actors in a scene. Amazing.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Ragtime was his last role? I didn't realize that.

On his height, he's .5 shorter than me, but I would have guessed he was shorter than that, not that I'm very tall. I wonder if his reported height might be a bit shorter than he actually was.

Great actor. I think my favorite role of his would be in Mister Roberts.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best Cagney hat of all is a wide-brimmed one he wore in "The West Point Story" in a musical number called "Brooklyn." Used to be on YouTube but maybe not there now. It's something you haven't seen before but won't forget, I guarantee it. The number takes place toward the end of the movie.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Alan Ladd and Al Pacino were both around 5'6" I believe...some sources say Ladd was 5'5"...But most don't think of them as very short...and Bogart for that matter was 5'8"....if the height for Cagney is really 5'6 1/2"...then there is only 1 1/2 in. difference....sure looks like more in that photo....I can see Bogie is wearing heels, can't see Jimmy's shoes....That could explain it.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Cagney is one of the reasons that I started to love those tall crowns with short brims. Even though he wore many different kinds of hats in different kinds of roles, the hat that is always associated with Cagney is the tall crown/short brim combo. His early films from 31/32/33 mostly have him wearing very tall crowns and short brims. Some of the other actors in those films wore wider brims with slightly shorter crowns. Even though a major style in the early 30's was tall crowns with short brims, I believe that Cagney preferred this style of hat for two reasons. He wasn't a very tall man so I always felt that the taller crown made him appear much taller on screen. He had a small build and was skinny in his early roles and therefore I believed chose a short brim. A wider brim paired with his skinny face would have looked sort of silly, but a short brim matched the width and length of his face fit perfectly. In all of his super early films, I never remember him wearing a super wide brim, or even a medium width brim. Somewhere around the lounge is a publication that was published in the 30's I believe about what hats to pair with what kind of faces. A medium, skinny face looks best with a shorter brim.

cagneytallcrownpublicenemy.jpg

cagneyharlowpublicenemy.jpg

tumblr_lndzgxvRcU1qbrdf3o1_1280.jpg

ActCagneyPublicEnemy.jpg

CagneyPublicEnemy.jpg

james-cagney-20110209-141049.jpg

cagney-bogart-robinson.jpg

CagneyRobinsonSmartmoney.jpg

CagneyJamesGMen_01-1.jpg

James-Cagney1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads