Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese workwear shirts, pants and chore jackets. Need help with sizing and translation please.

Colin G

One Too Many
Good day.

With all the talk about Japanese denim jackets of late (ie: Iron Heart) made me want to start a thread to help me out with sizing. Japanese vs N American sizing mainly but also to help nail down sizing for anyone who is looking at buying Japanese items direct or off of Rakuten ect.

I am looking at denim shirts, denim chore jackets mainly but some chino s and maybe jeans in the future.

Now, I am a men's medium pretty much across the board with N American sizing. For pants (Levis 511) I am a 32 waist x 30 inseam. I am not a big fella at 5' 8" and about 157 LB.

My body type is slim, with a long torso and shorter legs. I like high armhole placement so I think my body type could translate well into Japanese sizes.

For now, I am looing at Eight-G items.

Is anyone here, that can speak and read Japanese help me translate the sizing charts?

Here is one for a shirt. I am pretty sure from L to R it is body length, Chest, Shoulder width and Sleeve length. ( I matched the Japanese characters up to another size diagram I found )

I can't seem to post the diagram in the thread so it is here as an attachment. If anyone could translate the Japanese characters that would be great.

Attachments

• cgaucher_032819_112915.pdf
    409.6 KB · Views: 385

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a size chart for pants. If anyone can translate for me that would be much appreciated. I can figure out what a few of the measurements are but can't for all of them.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/eight-g/item/892/
First column waist size, second column inseam, third column front rise (waist to crotch), fourth column back rise (waist to crotch), fifth column thigh width, sixth column ankle width
https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/eight-g/size-guide.html#botoms

Blackadder

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I can't translate japanese, but Google Translate does a reasonable job of it. The problem is a lot of the Kanji is embedded in images, not actually text, and the auto-translation fails with those. If you're shopping rakuten, you can try searching rakuten through remambo.jp, and it will provide a machine translation of the translatable parts of the listing. You'll need to convert cm to in unless you're comfortable with the metric system, but that's not a big deal.

We're about the same size. I'm 5'9" 160lbs, 34" waist, 43" chest. I've bought a few things that were made by japanese clothing brands recently. One good thing about the Japanese is they're typically pretty precise with their measurements, and you can usually rely on them to be accurate.

I just received the Bronson M1951 trousers I ordered and they fit very well, I bought a 34", and it was just about perfect. My Freewheelers Switchyard Coat is a 42, and perfect. I wasn't sure if maybe I should go with a 44. For SMLXLXXL sized stuff, you'll need to get specifics, but they usually have sizing charts that are thorough. For me, I'm usually a 2XL in asian sizing, although it depends.

Blackadder

I can't translate japanese, but Google Translate does a reasonable job of it. The problem is a lot of the Kanji is embedded in images, not actually text, and the auto-translation fails with those. If you're shopping rakuten, you can try searching rakuten through remambo.jp, and it will provide a machine translation of the translatable parts of the listing. You'll need to convert cm to in unless you're comfortable with the metric system, but that's not a big deal.

We're about the same size. I'm 5'9" 160lbs, 34" waist, 43" chest. I've bought a few things that were made by japanese clothing brands recently. One good thing about the Japanese is they're typically pretty precise with their measurements, and you can usually rely on them to be accurate.

I just received the Bronson M1951 trousers I ordered and they fit very well, I bought a 34", and it was just about perfect. My Freewheelers Switchyard Coat is a 42, and perfect. I wasn't sure if maybe I should go with a 44. For SMLXLXXL sized stuff, you'll need to get specifics, but they usually have sizing charts that are thorough. For me, I'm usually a 2XL in asian sizing, although it depends.
That's why the links from Eight G are so useful. You should capture the image from these links.
https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/eight-g/size-guide.html#botoms
https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/eight-g/size-guide.html#outer

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many

Yes, we are close in size. I'm a bit smaller with a 39" chest.

Seems I'm a medium and a half. I hover between M and L in some of the Japanese stuff so I find it hard to take a gamble and buy something since it would be snug or too big.

I tried to translate the sizing images from the Rakuten ads with google but they are GIF's so does not work.

Last edited:

Blackadder

The Japanese brands usually come very close to tag size. For example, a size 38 jacket usually is 98 to 100 cm. It seems that they do not take into account anything underneath besides a thin tee. Shirts would be easier to fit but for the narrower shoulder width and high armhole.

Colin G

One Too Many
The Japanese brands usually come very close to tag size. For example, a size 38 jacket usually is 98 to 100 cm. It seems that they do not take into account anything underneath besides a thin tee. Shirts would be easier to fit but for the narrower shoulder width and high armhole.

I have an 18" shoulder width so a Large in this jacket link below

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/eight-g/item/8jk-01/

has a 17.7" shoulder width while the Medium has a 16.14" shoulder and would be too small there while every other measurement seems to be fine like sleeve length and chest where the Large would be too big.

Maybe I just have wide shoulders for my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21