Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JC Penney: American Living

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Hey all, I was at Penney's the other day and happened upon their "American Living" brand. Lots of stuff, all with a vintage flair to it. I have two pairs of Cords, a cutaway collar dress shirt and a really nice tattersall, along with a sweater vest. Has anybody else saw this line?
Heard Lauren designed it, I am actually impressed with it, and the prices are reasonable.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Yes, it is Ralph Lauren. I'm a big JCP shopper, but I haven't bought any of the women's clothing yet. My husband bought some dress shirts on clearance for about $9 but they haven't worked into the rotation yet. They have some beautiful home items too. I've got my eye on a red and white quilt :)

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I got one of their contrast collar shirts last March to wear to a presentation I was giving at a college honors symposium. 100% cotton, french cuff. Even now it still fits wonderfully; it doesn't appear to have shrunk at all, but I've gone down half a neck size (the shirt's 16, I'm a 15.5 now) and there's only a little bit of slackness in the waist that's not noticeable unless you're looking. I wanted to get a pink one when they went on sale earlier this fall but I got to the store too late and my size was gone.

For the product, the prices are a steal, even on a tight budget. Add this miserly college kid to the list of fans.

JCP

Got to say it, but in these times for my self and spouse we watch are funds and thats not enough.JCP had tuxedos on sale,100% worsted wool and fairly good quality for the money.I need to get one sooner or later for various Masonic functions.There American Living flannel shirts have good old fashion patterns also.Last year they had an upland game jacket similar but nicer than Beans old stand by,that was on sale for $50.00!!There is no shame as some might think in shopping in Penny`s,speaking for a person that haunts the thrift shops and Salvation Army.......

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Picked up a "Newsboy" jacket today for $120. It's nice and very heavy.

I'll post pics and my thoughts on it later. But I'm very happy with the purchase.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Pics of the "Newsboy" jacket as promised.

It's reversible with 85% wool, 15% nylon in plaid on one side, 100% cotton twill on the other. The wool side is soft. This jacket is very heavy and warm, definitely for colder weather. Not a cool weather jacket. Fairly stiff but will break in over time.

Has a belted back on both sides with adjustment tabs just like the original vintage jackets you see in Sears and Mont. Ward catalogs from the 1930s and '40s. The plaid side has a zipped chest pocket and slash pockets while the cotton twill side has patch pockets and slash pockets. If you've been looking for a vintage jacket in this style turn to this one, at $120 it's a good deal for a quality garment like this.

001-8.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

The main zipper 'handle' can move around for when the jacket is reversed.
007-3.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow! Looks pretty cool!
Glad you posted the review... I'd seen this jacket in the store when I was in a mad hurry and didn;t have time to check it out.
Gott admit, I was also reluctant 'cause I was afraid it would look great 'til I got up close, and then...heartbreaker!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Love 'em! A much better alternative to the Japanese repros! Where the Japanese excel in certain styling details, they never seem to make any of their winter wear warm enough. I'd say kool but actually the Penny's stuff looks VARM! :D

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
It is warm!
I really do not need another winter jacket but am considering this one.

Yeah, I'm not getting it for the same reason. But they sure look worth it!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I picked up the newsboy jacket, which came out with tax, just shy of $100. I was surprised at how trim the jacket was cut. I usually wear a modern medium, but I had to buy a size large.

I see that there is another model of this same jacket on the JCP website, in corduroy and four back pleats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko