Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Jan

One of the Regulars
No, these are really light and "hairy." They were only like $20 or so. They have the same ones from Kohls, at Sears.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What did I buy?
Are they jeans, uniform pants, etc.? They seem to be denim - they're quite heavy -, but have no stamps/labels/tags on the pocket bags or anywhere else. The pocket bags are a really heavy drill, much like the 40s and 50s Army pants I've got. The patch on the one wasn't a label, it's a repair over a hole.
DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0013-4.jpg

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few pairs of denim work pants (not jeans) that I would think have an Army or Navy origin. The cut is different from yours though, Lefty. I hate to say, ( and I may be dead wrong) but those may be 70's denim slacks. Nothing wrong with that, but I suspect that wasn't what you were hoping for!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I accept that as a strong possibility, as the zipper and buttons certainly don't look like they'd be all that old. The pants don't have any of the off-putting 70s characteristics, so I'm good with whatever they are/whenever they're from. The only thing that is a bit odd is the rise. It's a long way from the top to the crotch seam.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yep, they look to be denim odd trousers. I actually have a similar pair (but with reverse pleats and cuffs) from Luciano Barbara; the man himself talked me into buying a pair at one of his trunk shows back in the mid-90s. It wasn't until I found SF/AAAC that I discovered the igent hate for them. Even so, I still wear them on occasion. :eek::p

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
No expert here, but those 'slacks' don't look seventies to me.. My dad had 70's denim slacks and they were absolutely hideous (bellbottoms, low rise.. ugh..)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No expert here, but those 'slacks' don't look seventies to me.. My dad had 70's denim slacks and they were absolutely hideous (bellbottoms, low rise.. ugh..)

Not overtly 70's, but I can't think of another era that had denim slacks like these. That doesn't mean they are of course.
I think Lefty can make 'em work just fine!

apba1166

A-List Customer
I don't think we ever called them jeans back in the 50s - they were just Levis. And of course, they could only be Levi brand. I remember seeing Wranglers and Lees now and then, but only on cowboy kids. I still won't wear any brand but Levi's.
Girls who wanted to look great wore Lees, better, tighter fit. Levis, in the 60s, became hip for their lack of fit.

Corky

Practically Family
How Can Jeans Cost $300?

How Can Jeans Cost $300?
Shoppers Shell Out More for Designer Denim, Lured by Signature Details, 'Made in America'

PJ-BB711_FASHIO_D_20110706211833.jpg

WSJ - Los Angeles

It is an enduring mystery to anyone reared on $50 Levi's: How can a pair of jeans cost as much as the Phantom, the new look from True Religion that will be priced as high as $375?
The answer can be found here in Los Angeles, in the global capital of so-called premium denim—one of the few areas of fashion that remains largely American-made. An industrial zone here near the city's center is home to True Religion, J Brand, Seven For All Mankind and other pricey denim brands that have elevated what was once workman's togs to a luxury industry all its own.
This is a rarefied segment of the denim business. Americans bought $13.8 billion of men's and women's jeans in the year ended April 30, according to market-research firm NPD Group. But only about 1% of jeans sold in the U.S. over that year cost more than $50.

Interactive:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...tml#project=JEANS0711&articleTabs=interactive

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303365804576429730284498872.html

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, consider this: When you buy a 1k suit the trousers are costing you over $300..........

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I would go on saying the "apples and oranges" comparison, but I think to quite a few people, this means a lot more to them than it does to me. For the sake of argument, it depends on the maker, but I understand that there is a crowd that would equate the value of jeans with suits, more or less.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
The fit will be better. I only like the Shrink to fit Levi's. Other jeans never fit right.

Also the quality of the denim is usually slightly better. Depends how much detail you like. I like the open seams on the 501's which you don't see unless you cuff them up. That is how jeans used to be before the mid 60's.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
I am one of the people who will spend $350 on a pair of jeans. I know they are expensive but I absolutely love the ones I buy. These ones are of a far superior quality to any Levis I've ever seen both in manufacturing and material choice, I also believe that the factory workers are paid a decent wage.
We all have our indulgences, this is one of mine.

S1053762.jpg

S1053763.jpg

I'm sure you'll think I'm mad, but I like them.
They were $350 btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran