Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeeves and Wooster

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
WH1 said:
If your avatar is any indication you have "wooster by the sea" down pat, sartorially speaking. Great look. Looks very similar to the outfit he wore while teaching the young lad to say "kiss, chuffy".

Thank you for the kind words WH1.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
According to some of the wags at Amazon, they wrote Bertie totally out of the second picture, because (yes because) Niven happened to break big. Unfortunately, he made the pic on loan to Fox and given his sudden popularity, couldn't be re-hired or anyone else substituted. So Jeeves without Wooster, and apparently, taking on some of Bertie's absent mindedness to make up for it. ?!?!!

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i simply adore jeeves & wooster! as well as anything and everything p.g. wodehouse. :) i introduced my mom to J&W, and she loves the series - wanted all the seasons for christmas. hugh laurie is one of my favourites, in a non-comedy, i love him as stuart little's dad. has anyone read his book? it's fairly good.
wodehouse is by far my favourite author, i always leave his books feeling so much better about the world. (and writing in a completely different style - my school papers become whimsical and carefree and littered with "improper" spellings - what i read always effects how i write...) i lucked out at a local used book store recently and picked up a dozen or so wodehouse books i didn't have cheaply - they weren't even out on the shelves, because 'nobody in the area looks for them'.... good thing i asked!

WH1 said:
Has anyone seen the 1970's british collection of Wodehouse stories produced on the BBC. Apparently Wodehouse actually introduced some of them himself. i have been considering purchasing the collection but it is a fairly large investment.

If you'd like to see it before you buy it, "Wodehouse Playhouse" is available on Netflix, if you're a netflixer - if not, there's a free trial that should get you through the series. i've only seen the first season so far, but i enjoyed it.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I watched the first Jeeves movie and it is HORRIBLE. Niven and Treacher (now know more for his "fish and chips") are fine but the script is far from Wodehouse. To make it worse, it gets racist when Willie Best shows up, all shuckin' and jivin' and "yah sir" with his eyes wide and he even eats watermelon! Stick with the BBC productions which are faithful and hysterical. You might also check out the audiobooks. I am currently listening to "Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves," and it is wonderful.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Hi WH1,

I always like to travel with a Jeeves book as well. The only downside is to sit in your airline seat chuckling uncontrollably. I was reading an old copy of "Carry On, Jeeves", in that exact state, only to be interrupted by my seatmate's curiosity over what old book could possibly be that funny. I tried to give him a brief tutorial, and he had seen the tv show and liked it, so we managed to get to an understanding.

It is one of the happiest reads - for me, true escapism in a way few modern titles are.

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
I LOVE Jeeves and Wooster! I haven't seen the David Niven movies yet. Perhaps TCM will play them soon.

Personally I didn't like the season where they were in America. The fake American accents...well...*yucky*

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:
I watched the first Jeeves movie and it is HORRIBLE. Niven and Treacher (now know more for his "fish and chips") are fine but the script is far from Wodehouse. To make it worse, it gets racist when Willie Best shows up, all shuckin' and jivin' and "yah sir" with his eyes wide and he even eats watermelon! Stick with the BBC productions which are faithful and hysterical. You might also check out the audiobooks. I am currently listening to "Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves," and it is wonderful.

I recently watched these movies too and yes they're quite dreadful. I was going to send the DVD back to netflix without even watching the second movie but decided to give it a try. Before pressing play on the old remote I told myself (yes I often talk to myself) to watch it as a classic B movie of the time and forget any connection to Wodehouse. Well, it worked I enjoyed it more, not enough to run out and buy a copy but much more than the disappointment of the first film. :)

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I love the Fry and Laurie Jeeves and Wooster series aswell.If anybody is interested in visiting the filming locations,they filmed a lot of it in the town of Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire.A lot of films and tv serieses are filmed in and around Hemel Hempstead,simply because it is so close to all the main studios like Elstree,Borehamwood,Leavesden amd Pinewood.
Another series you all may like,is called Mapp and Lucia.That was filmed in the town of Rye,if anybody has seen it and would like to visit the location.But be warned,The Cheeky Girls live in Rye,and they really do sing their songs to anyone they bump into,especially when they are drunk in the local pubs.lol

Feraud

Bartender
Here's an old thread that deserves a bump.
I'll always have fond memories of watching Jeeves and Wooster on PBS right around the time my wife and I married.
We recently added season 1 to our Netflix queue. The show still and will likely always stand the test of time. The writing, acting, and clothing are excellent. Our 17 year old only knew Laurie's face from the show House so this is an introduction to Laurie's prior work.
J-W-portrait-jeeves-and-wooster-461813_1024_1328.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall how I was introduced to J&W. I think a friend introduced me to them. I think I got hooked on the MUSIC first. And then I started hunting down the TV show. I love the music in that show. I'm so glad that I have the tracks from the soundtrack CD on my computer.

DNO

One Too Many
Loved Laurie as Wooster, although it's tough to beat his performance in the various Blackadder series. I read all the Wodehouse books years ago. My absolute spot-on favourite story was Goodbye to All Cats. Had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Here's an old thread that deserves a bump.
I'll always have fond memories of watching Jeeves and Wooster on PBS right around the time my wife and I married.
We recently added season 1 to our Netflix queue. The show still and will likely always stand the test of time. The writing, acting, and clothing are excellent. Our 17 year old only knew Laurie's face from the show House so this is an introduction to Laurie's prior work.
J-W-portrait-jeeves-and-wooster-461813_1024_1328.jpg

This was and always will be one of the greatest pairings in Hollywood history.

What a wonderful series!

Sam

WH1

Practically Family
I am a huge fan of PG Wodehouse. I have own and have read most of his written works and own the entire DVD collection of Frye and Laurie "Jeeves and Wooster" (my personal go-to's on bad days), but I am curious if any of Wodehouse's works such as the Psmith stories have ever been produced on film.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
I too am a big Wodehouse fan.

I enjoyed the Fry and Laurie series very much.

As noted by Feraud above, Hugh Laurie has long since moved on to other things and IMHO it's a credit to his skills as an actor that he can be so successful at both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner