Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeeves and Wooster

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often

What Ho!

Just watched the 3rd series of "Jeeves and Wooster" the boys in the USA! what fun!

JeevesWooster%5b3%5dGeneric1.jpg

Lashings of Art Deco, Cocktails ,and Hats, in that order, seem to think they rather deserve their own thread??

http://www.hatsharpening.com/j&w/eps3.php

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Versatile Actor

And what a difference from Laurie's current "House" character...

Both are fine actors. They were fun when they had parts in the various Blackadders, and really good in their scetch comedy show, too, A Bit of Frye and Laurie.

Trog

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I have a copy of the soundtrack and it is hilarious as well. Also check out the books on CD. While Laurie and Fry do not read them, they still are great.

WH1

Practically Family
I purchased the entire collection last year, they always brighten the day. The third season is by far my favorite. I especially like the apartment in Manhattan. Best episode is Jeeves substituting for Rocky and doing the nightlife reports. Great stuff. Currently reading a Wodehouse biography, interesting how his writing developed.

Has anyone seen the 1970's british collection of Wodehouse stories produced on the BBC. Apparently Wodehouse actually introduced some of them himself. i have been considering purchasing the collection but it is a fairly large investment.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
The Books

Haven't seen the earlier BBC series, but I have to echo Kadri about the books.

Wodehouse himself thought the series didn't belong on the screen, but I suspect he'd approve of the version we've seen here. Each TV episode is two intermingled short stories, giving great, solid A and B plot lines. This technique also kept the pacing exciting--the shows never drag because they have too much ground to cover.

The writers must have really loved their source material, as they altered endings and details, staying faithful to the original, but giving those of us who've read the books new and interesting stuff to watch. I also love how the props department gets their "props" (yes, a pun), with the camera often lingering lovingly on Bertie's luggage, or shirts, or silver.

I recommend the five volume paperback (I know, I know) set you can sometimes find on the net if you're searching hard enough. Plenty of bits that make you laugh aloud and annoy your train/plane companions! And perfect for FL vintage loving types.

Trog

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Ian Carmichael and Dennis Price Played Bertie and jeeves in 1965

I vaguely remember it, the sets were sort of Edwardian rather than Art deco

worldwooster.jpg

The car in series III was a Madison Bufori its a kit car, I think it mas made in Australia? from the 1990's saw one for sale for $14,000. (au) I rather think the white colour of this one makes it look larger than it realy is

JeevesWooster%5b3%5dEp1%5bb%5d.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Love J&W, either in the original print or as played by Laurie and Fry. I had a Chilean flatmate in London who introduced me to the latter - it was a favourite indulgence. I bought the boxed set a couple of years ago, but unfortunately it is always in much demand - no sooner had I reclaimed it from my sister when she went overseas than it was borrowed by a friend.

I was always tickled by the references to Wooster in Dorothy Sayers' stories about my other favourite 20s - 30s what-ho-er, Peter Wimsey. One could fancy the two to be distant relations, and no one who uses language as Bertie does could be all that dim. And surely Jeeves and Bunter are related. Or at least Bunter must be a fellow member of the Junior Ganymede Club.

just_me

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
I have a copy of the soundtrack and it is hilarious as well. Also check out the books on CD. While Laurie and Fry do not read them, they still are great.
I've got them in my car right now and was listening on my way to work. The reader is terrific. Martin Jarvis.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Yes indeed, Jeeves and Wooster is a favorite of mine. I would go so far as to say the Jeeves and Wooster series on film as well as in print is my sartorial bible. The blend of humor and style set in that, between the wars era, is certainly my cup of tea.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Rumor exists of a 1935 film Thank You, Jeeves, in which the eponymous g.'s g. (written somewhat out of character) was played by Arthur Treacher and Bertie by a very young David Niven.

Has anyone seen this? Might it be at all worth while, if only for a contemporary pop culture perspective on the much-beloved duo?

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Rumor exists of a 1935 film Thank You, Jeeves, in which the eponymous g.'s g. (written somewhat out of character) was played by Arthur Treacher and Bertie by a very young David Niven.

Has anyone seen this? Might it be at all worth while, if only for a contemporary pop culture perspective on the much-beloved duo?

Thank you, Jeeves! (1936) with Arthur Treacher, Virginia Field, David Niven, Lester Matthews and Willie Best.

Followed by:
Step Lively, Jeeves (1937) without David Niven and a story not based on any Wodehouse story, which involves a mystery and gangsters.

Neither film has been on VHS or DVD. Hopefully TCM will give them a chance, I'd love to see David Niven playing old Bertie.

WH1

Practically Family
Mike1939 said:
Yes indeed, Jeeves and Wooster is a favorite of mine. I would go so far as to say the Jeeves and Wooster series on film as well as in print is my sartorial bible. The blend of humor and style set in that, between the wars era, is certainly my cup of tea.

If your avatar is any indication you have "wooster by the sea" down pat, sartorially speaking. Great look. Looks very similar to the outfit he wore while teaching the young lad to say "kiss, Tuppy".

WH1

Practically Family
I always have a volume of Wodehouse with me during my travels. first i ever read was right ho jeeves. I have read most of the jeeves and wooster tales and am working on the blandings books, i havent read any of the psmith yet.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Mike1939 said:
Thank you, Jeeves! (1936) with Arthur Treacher, Virginia Field, David Niven, Lester Matthews and Willie Best.

Followed by:
Step Lively, Jeeves (1937) without David Niven and a story not based on any Wodehouse story, which involves a mystery and gangsters.

Neither film has been on VHS or DVD. Hopefully TCM will give them a chance, I'd love to see David Niven playing old Bertie.

They are both out on DVD now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O78KZ6/imdb-adbox/

The bad news is they don't hold a candle to the BBC Jeeves & Wooster, and don't even come close to the books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner