Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jesus Camp

Feraud

Bartender
It is in limited release. The Angelica in NYC is the only New York venue showing it.
Jesus Camp is a documentary about children attending an Evangelical camp.
The film focuses on an evangelical Christian camp of rare devotion. Twelve-year-old Levi, who was "saved" when he was five, is a shy boy except when he is filled with the Holy Spirit. Nine-year-old Rachael is outspoken in her love for the Lord. They are home-schooled by their Christian parents and interact with their peers at church and church events. In the summer they travel to Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire" summer camp in Devil's Lake, North Dakota, to intensify their devotion to the Lord.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
JESUS CAMP (2006)

My girlfriend rented this one yesterday. Fascinating little documentary about the children of evangelical families who are sent to a right of center Christian summer camp in North Dakota. One powerful scene after another, I would recommend this film to anyone. Starring Becky Fisher, Mike Papantonio, and Ted Haggard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/usercomments

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Watched it again tonight. What a great flick. I love how Becky Fisher explains that she models her camps on Pakistani madrases!

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I saw it the other day and was horrified -- as I expected. I am a Christian, and I have been involved with people like you see in the movie. Terrifying.

Matt

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Yes, but I can see there is something else underlying the film subject. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

You should see the film, judge for yourself, and then share your thoughts. All the subjects explain themselves in their own words, there is no narration or hidden agenda. All the principal subjects had approval of the final cut. Best documentary I've seen in a long time, really helped me better understand a part of America that I've had very little experience with thus far.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Along the same lines, HBO is showing a documentary about Evangelical Christians in the USA. I watched it tonight. I honestly don't know how I feel about what I saw, so I won't say anything about it. But, it was interesting to watch. So, if you thought Jesus Camp was interesting, you might find this documentary interesting too. It's called Friends of G-d: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
Along the same lines, HBO is showing a documentary about Evangelical Christians in the USA. I watched it tonight. I honestly don't know how I feel about what I saw, so I won't say anything about it. But, it was interesting to watch. So, if you thought Jesus Camp was interesting, you might find this documentary interesting too. It's called Friends of G-d: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi

She's the daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Daisy Buchanan

Lincsong said:
She's the daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Yeah, didn't want to bring that up, being that it's a political topic and all:)

But, let's just say I'm not a fan, just my opinion. I wrote her a letter once a few years back, and I got a really nasty reply! But anyway, politics, you know, so I won't go any further with my thoughts on her:)

carebear

I caught the tail end of Ms. Pelosi's interview on NPR about "Friends". She seemed very civil and professional in how she presented the film and the people she met with. She also wasn't snarky about the fall of Mr. Haggard (which coincided with the release).

I believe Daisy (of course) that she may have other issues but she certainly didn't come off overly negative about the people she met with while making her movie on the radio.

Feraud

Bartender
I watched this film tonight. S-C-A-R-Y!!
Not since seeing Capturing the Friedmans, another "must see" documentary, have I felt this disgusted.
The idea that such child abuse and narrow minded brainwashing of children can exist in this country is scary. We should all take note when any group seeks to instruct children with words like "it's a war" or "die for God".

Shearer

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I watched this film tonight. S-C-A-R-Y!!
Not since seeing Capturing the Friedmans, another "must see" documentary, have I felt this disgusted.

Feraud, another documentary lover? When I first got Netflix, I stocked my queue full of documentaries and Capturing the Friedmans was one of the first I got.

Back on topic: I watched this a couple of weeks ago and was struck by how often and how much the kids in the movie cried during the church activities. Didn't seem like tears of joy, either.

Dying for god and speaking in tongues aside, when Becky Fisher told the kids if Harry Potter had been alive today he would be killed I thought, "Uh oh." :(

Feraud

Bartender
I always enjoy a good documentary.

Shearer said:
Back on topic: I watched this a couple of weeks ago and was struck by how often and how much the kids in the movie cried during the church activities. Didn't seem like tears of joy, either.

How awful was that? That is some definite child exploitation going on. When watching the movie I was constantly struck by the parallels between these fanatics and the overseas extremists we are told to fear. I worry more about homegrown kooks than foreign ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran