Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewellery, gents?

Snookie

Practically Family
griffer said:
When it came to the settings and rings, silver and white gold are just too soft. Platinum is a great metal, but itsn't as hard as titanium. I prefer the platinum.

I thought that platinum was softer than gold? Not sure where I heard that, though...

My husband has a small collection of nice watches, and has a white gold wedding ring. Not much bling. He wants a tattoo, but I haven't given in yet. (He shouldn't have waited until we were married!!!:) ) I'd like to find him a nice pinky ring, b/c he always admires Fred Astaire's, but I haven't found him anything good yet.

griffer

Practically Family
Snookie said:
I thought that platinum was softer than gold? Not sure where I heard that, though....

Didn't say it was. Just said it wasn't as hard as titanium.

Turns out, my plat got a patina immediately becasue it is so soft. It's heavier, though, than white gold.

I'm no metallurgist, but maybe because of credit card marketing I assumed platinum was better than gold.

Doesn't matter, this is one piece of jewelry who's value is completely independant of physical, design, or monetary gauges.

griffer said:
Didn't say it was. Just said it wasn't as hard as titanium.

Turns out, my plat got a patina immediately becasue it is so soft. It's heavier, though, than white gold.

I'm no metallurgist, but maybe because of credit card marketing I assumed platinum was better than gold.

Doesn't matter, this is one piece of jewelry who's value is completely independant of physical, design, or monetary gauges.

IIRC, platinum is highly valued for both its rarity--makes gold seem common--and its metallurgical and electrical properties. It's used in some very high-end electronics, including some weapons systems' sensors.

Sorry, the engineer in me reasserting itself. (Yes, I've done a lot of different things for my age--just remember, it didn't happen for free...:eek: )

ilcatex

New in Town
Gold wedding band, eco-drive wristwatch (never leave home without it), cufflinks, and a chain bearing a medallion with my personal motto - Fear Not. (It is also tattooed on my right shoulder).

I also wear a subdued platinum bracelet made of fishing swivels... (Mark 1:17)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My ex-girlfriend used to buy me jewlery. I'd tell her not to, but she'd get them anyway. Two rings, gold chain and a watch. Now that we're broken up, they're all in the safe. She didn't want them back.

I have a few pocket watches. Two are antique railroad watches. The Illinois Bunn Special is from the '20s (1926 or '27). My mother's uncle Clyde use it while digging the tunnels in Zion Canyon. The Waltham was used by my paternal grandfather when he was a mechanic with the Los Angeles trolleys.

Lee

"Is a wedding ring supposed to shrink once it's on a man's finger?"

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
i have both my ears pierced but haven't had anything in them for about 10 years ... a big chunky bracelet type thing on my right hand , always silver ...i don't like gold looks murky ( my wedding ring was platinum , threw it in the sea )

never wear a watch at all and occasionally wear a ring and cufflinks of which i have lots of pairs :)

Being an engineer i find the fascination with titanium a bit strange , i work with the stuff and could easily make a ring :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I generally only wear my high school graduation ring, which I've had for going on five years, and a Native American silver ring with the "Man in the Maze" symbol engraved into it. Rarely a day goes by that I don't wear both of these on my right hand.

oddlots

New in Town
I'll admit, I have a thing for jewelery, so my list may be longer than some. My usual look includes a white gold and diamond pinkie ring on the right hand, a silver signet ring (left pinkie), titanium and diamond engagement ring on my right ring finger (my fiancee didn't think it was fair that she was the only one that got an engagement ring), a titanium, white gold, and yellow gold chunky bracelet, a lip ring, eyebrow ring and in my ears I either wear a pair of custom designed, hand-made wooden plugs (cherry, maple, and something else) or my current pair, a set of buffalo horn plugs with inlaid abalone shell.

Both sets of plugs, the signet ring, the engagement ring, and the bracelet were gifts from my lovely fiancee.

I'd love to get a new watch, but the only one I've LOVED as of late was a bit out of my price range (a white gold Rolex Presidential with diamond hour markers)!

I've got a few pairs of cufflinks, but I rarely get the chance to wear them out.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Like most of te guys here, daily wear is normally just a ring and a wristwatch.
Watch is either black leather band, and a silver ring or a gold Omega Seamaster with a ring that my Grandfather wore.

Edward

Bartender
I'm definitely a fan of jewellery as part of my look - I like the peacockery of it, as well as playing with the old stereotypes that still held root back where I grew up that there is something somehow effeminate about a man who wears jewellery. The more I hear a certain type spout about what makes "a real man", the less I want to be one. ;)

I virtually always wear my silver cross - just a plain silver cross on a silver chain, a 24th birthday prsent from my parents, but I've not had it for about tend days now. Really concerned I lost it, hopefully it has just been left at a friend's house. (Took it off to go to Rocky Horror in costume - about the only time it does come off. Please God let it be found soon... :( ).

I also wear a wristwatch daily - i have several, would like more - I love having the different options. I have a marked preference for wristwatches that are mechanical and self-winding - having to wind it daily by hand would be too much of a pain. I do like the concept of it being a finely crafted, ticking machine. That and given that I love the idea of having a bunch of watches and eventually having the option to match them to different outfits, it's much cheaper than batteries in the long run!!

Rings, I have three that I wear. A silver, tree-bark pattern band on my left hand, middle finger, which was in the house for years and I've been wearing since I was about 16 (I'm nearly 33 now). On my right hand, I wear a titanium ring which was purchased with money I was gifted at Christmas from an aunt and a grandmother, the last Christmas my grandmother was alive for. It has their initials and "Christmas 2004" engraved on the inside. I like it for its strength - it's much more durable than any other ring I've ever had - though it would be nice were it heavier (it's aircraft grade titanium) as I do like wieghty jewellery. On my right ring finger, I wear a 9ct gold ring set with a large cut garnet - a 20th birthday present from my parents. I briefly wore a bracelet made from a bit of bike chain about a decade ago - more recently it has reappeared as part of a Rocky Horror costume! For a long time I have wanted a bracelety-type thing the same as the one Keith Richards wears (it's like two little pairs of handcuffs joined together), I even fonud the place in London where they sell them, but at GBP250, I've never felt quite able to justify the outlay. I wear cufflinks as often as possible - basically when the shirt allows. It is possible to buy daywear shirts with a French cuff in highstreet places like Next in the UK now - all my shirts will be like that in future (I tend to prefer white shirts for dress wear, too). Otherwise, the last 10 years or so it has been the norm for cuffs of shirts desgiend to be worn with a suit to come not only with buttons but also a slit so cufflinks can be worn. I love cufflinks - I have about a dozen pairs and always wear them whenever possible - actually just last week I decided when I have the time that I am gonig to cut off the buttons on all of those shirts. I would still prefer a doubled cuff, but it's something until I replace shirts in the natural order of things. A tie clip is a more recent addition - I have three - two gold (one which came as a matched set with cufflinks) and one spring-loaded, silver model. Great things - functional (I hate that "tie blown over one shoulder" look) and so pretty. One thing I do not do is "bling" jewellery - hip hop stylee. I love being a peacock, but I like to think I do it with style!

Travis

Suspended
Edward said:
I love cufflinks - I have about a dozen pairs and always wear them whenever possible - actually just last week I decided when I have the time that I am gonig to cut off the buttons on all of those shirts. I would still prefer a doubled cuff, but it's something until I replace shirts in the natural order of things.

I wouldn't do that. I love french cuffs, but if the shirt is a barrel cuff, the shirt is a barrel cuff. It just doesn't look right to have cuff links on a shirt without the double cuff unless it's a formal shirt. My advice, wear your french cuff shirts, wear the barrels when you have to and work on replacing them and phasing them out of your wardrobe, otherwise you look like you just cut the buttons off your shirts.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to wearing jewelry.
A gold signet ring, a watch and sometimes cuff links are all that I ever wear.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
When I was younger I used to have a couple of rings that I would wear and a simple silver chain necklace but now I only wear a watch. It's probably partly due to my fiancée not liking men wearing jewellery and my Dad's always saying the same thing. I'll wear a wedding band when the big day comes but that's about it now for jewellery and me .

Micawber

A-List Customer
I always wear a gold 19th Cent wedding ring which I never remove, one gold signet ring bearing a square & compass motif on my right ring finger, cuff-links when required and I always wear a wrist or pocket watch & chain.

No ear rings or piercings for me thank you.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
When I was younger I used to have a couple of rings that I would wear and a simple silver chain necklace but now I only wear a watch. It's probably partly due to my fianc?©e not liking men wearing jewellery and my Dad's always saying the same thing. I'll wear a wedding band when the big day comes but that's about it now for jewellery and me .

For me a simple small signet ring on my left small finger and next to that on my ring finger a Russian 3 band wedding ring. They arent ever removed.
I sport a pocket watch or if m being awfully modern a Tag wristwatch.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cufflinks, tie bar, watch, and this 9.20 ct Hessonite Garnet ring made by the company I work for and given to me by my boss. I think a pinky ring is a Golden Era appropriate accessory.

HessoniteRing01.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Travis said:
I wouldn't do that. I love french cuffs, but if the shirt is a barrel cuff, the shirt is a barrel cuff. It just doesn't look right to have cuff links on a shirt without the double cuff unless it's a formal shirt.

These are all shirts that are cut to be worn with a suit, not casual shirts, is that what you mean by "formal"? I'll definitely not be buying any new shirts without a doubled cuff in future. Well, none I intend to wear other than casually with jeans anyhow.

Edward

Bartender
Nice ring, Tony! It's very close to the one I described above, except mine doesn't have any engraving on the shoulders. My stone looks almost black in most lights too, but I'm presumeing yours is darker than that, just camera flash has lit it up?

If ever I end up in a relationship that goes the way of making it legal, I'd wear a wedding ring of some description, and maybe a pinky ring on my left hand as well for symmetry. The one on the middle finger would have to go though - pinky and ring finger both ringed has a certain decadent flamboyance to it IMO, but more than two rings on one hand gets a bit into full on Elvis territory for me, and much as I love the King, I just don't look good in a jumpsuit....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot