Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimmy Stewart's Suit from Harvey

Madkat

New in Town
I had quite a bit of help regarding his hat from the film, and now I need as much information as you can possibly help with, regarding his suit and vest. What style this is, and as many details as possible. I LOVE vintage suits from this era, but I'm afraid I just don't know the terminology. Rlk was kind enough to post these pictures on the hat discussion, so a tip of the hat is in order.

Thank you in advance.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jacket:Single breasted, three button, notched lapel, patch pocket, unvented, in heavyweight (20+ oz.) tweed.

Trousers:High waisted, single reverse pleat, cuffs.

The vest is not suiting; rather a wool knit sweater vest.

Are you planning to have a tailor copy this suit?

Madkat

New in Town
Wow. Thank you for the details - that's EXACTLY what I needed. More than likely this will HAVE to be a tailor made suit. I'm currently directing a film based on a character that believes himself to be a character from a Jimmy Stewart movie, set in a modern day setting. Basically, he will EASILY stand out from the crowd and their modern day clothing. I'm basing that character's mannerisms and appearance on Elwood Dowd from Harvey. Do you have any recommendations?

Madkat

New in Town
Can anyone recommend a fine tailor that would custom make this suit for me? Also point me in a possible direction for the vest as well.

ANY information would be a great help.

Thank you Tomasso for the information that YOU provided.

There's probably a tailor in your area. It should come it at around $1000 and up for a bespoke suit, depending on the tailor. I would always advise avoidance of online or made to measure tailors. They're just not good enough.

That suit from Harvey is a wonderful piece of movie wardrobe work. It is clearly a well worn suit - look how the hip pockets sag. Maybe it's one of Stewart's own suits?

Annex%20-%20Stewart,%20James%20%28Harvey%29_02.jpg

Good luck finding the fabric. Looks like a soft-ish nubby tweed.

bk

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Good luck finding the fabric. Looks like a soft-ish nubby tweed.

It definitely looks fluffy and cozy. Something you would want to sleep in when it's cold outside (well, not necessarily in that suit but you get the point). I watched the film again a few months ago and that suit, especially the look of the fabric, surely left an impression on me.

BTW: Where did you find the photo?

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Adding my bit

The suit looks quite soft and rather un-constructed. ie; little to no canvas inside.
sagging pockets, soft unsupported shoulders, etc. make it look over-sized & second hand. maybe on purpose ?

Not to promote myself here, but if you need help contact me, as I have done quite a bit of costume work along with regular and period custom clothes.

I think you're right TailorTom. And yes, I would imagine with the character that this was all intentional (nothing in wardrobe is unintentional, of course). Either intended to be an old suit, or a second hand. Certainly a man who doesn't take too much care over his appearance. He was a bit looney, after all.

The nurse is, of course, concerned at the madness of a man who thinks there's a giant rabbit in the room. He's holding two hats. I believe one "belongs" to "Harvey"

bk

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
added thought

I also think the hardest part might be finding the correct fabric. or something that resembles it in modern fabrics. H&S has good looking items but for true heavy tweed fabric one would need to hit up W Bill.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tailor Tom said:
The suit looks quite soft and rather un-constructed. ie; little to no canvas inside.....sagging pockets, soft unsupported shoulders, etc.
That's 80's Armani..... See The Untouchables.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou