Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather M-200 Jacket

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Hi All,

After reading through tons of posts here on FL, I've decided to purchase a Johnson M-200 jacket. I am fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from Johnson Leathers and am going to the shop tomorrow to place my order.

I was wondering if you owned a Johnson M-200 and if so, could you post a few photos of your jacket?

Thanks!

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
Good choice. I'm in the process of finalizing an order with Alan. He's fantastic
Are you planning to grab something off the rack or go the custom route?

frussell

One Too Many
I'm in line for a jacket based on the M200. They seem to be running a bit behind, I'm nearly three weeks behind schedule on my fit jacket. I believe Alan said one of his staff had been sick. If you're a normal sized guy, which I am not, you might even find something you like on one of the many racks of fine jackets. Nice folks, good experience so far. Frank

jon11

A-List Customer
yep own a very nice M200J made from Vermont Expresso horsehide fantastic jacket haven't a clue how to post pics sorry. Ask Alan he has them on file. The horween Vermont getting loads of character. Mine also has brass Talon zips front and sleeves. All custom

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I believe this forum has recently brought them unsually much business which might play its part in the long waiting times. I ordered a coat two weeks ago and their waiting time is currently at 3 months, much longer than since I last ordered a jacket there.

BJC88

New in Town
I also have a jacket from Alan. Espresso HH Wolverine style jacket with red oil-pulled cowhide.

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
I also have a jacket from Alan. Espresso HH Wolverine style jacket with red oil-pulled cowhide.

I don't think he has the same espresso shade any longer. It's my understanding that he has a slightly darker variation. I think it's called rockford or something like that.

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
I'm in line for a jacket based on the M200. They seem to be running a bit behind, I'm nearly three weeks behind schedule on my fit jacket. I believe Alan said one of his staff had been sick. If you're a normal sized guy, which I am not, you might even find something you like on one of the many racks of fine jackets. Nice folks, good experience so far. Frank

They just changed over computer systems too which is never void of issues/delays

technovox

One Too Many
Here are some pics - a variation on the Johnson Leathers M200 Jacket (Alan will know the exact style. M200L?) I believe I might have posted these pics a while back.
At the time, I was on the fence about which leather to use, when Alan dug out an unusual shade of the Horween "Vermont" Horsehide hidden under a pile in his shop- just barely enough to make a jacket. It was perfect for what I was looking for...
On the back, I went with a yoke instead of a bottom belt line. And they tightened up the arms and quarter panels for me. Brass talon zips, brass hardware, and some kind of Japanese cotton plaid lining left over from another of Alan's projects.

HHJMain.JPG

back.JPG

Buckle.JPG

buckle2.JPG

Collar.JPG

detail2.JPG

extpocket.JPG

intpocket.JPG

label.JPG

lining.JPG

Last edited:

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting photos of your jacket Technovox. It is beautiful.

So, I just got back from a visit to Johnson Leathers. I spent 2 full hours speaking with Alan, who is incredibly knowledgable and wise. I ordered an M-100 in a size 40, adding 1.5 inches to the sleeve and 2 inches to the body length.

Question: Do the front and the back of the jacket have to be the same length? Because the jacket I tried on in the shop seems to fit in the back. However, in the front, it seems a couple inches short. My belt shows and I don't like that. Is it possible to just lengthen the front, and not lengthen the back? Are there jackets that have a longer front than back?

Another question: The hand warmer pockets are lined with leather, but should I go with canvas instead? Is there an advantage to go with one over the other?

I went with the 3.5oz black naked cowhide, which is very nice and soft. Alan was a pleasure to work with and I'm looking forward to wearing my jacket by the end of October!

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
I do want to add that the problem is not the jacket length, but how we wear our pants these days. In the old days, men wore their pants really high up and it looked a lot classier. So you could wear a short leather jacket and it wouldn't look odd. But with these modern low rise pants, the belt is too far down to wear a classic old jacket. I wonder what it was that caused the rise of the pants to become shorter and shorter. There must be an anthropological reason for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner