Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just ordered my first Aero!!!

I

Ian

This isn't an 'off the rack' sized jacket...It's kind of hybrid of a size 48" and a 46"......It's a size 48" jacket in the shoulders, but with a 46" chest...
I asked for the Gunn Ancient lining instead of the Alpaca wool....

Ian

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Ian the jacket looks great on you, it's not too boxy at all!

Congrats and enjoy wearing it.

At the moment I don't wear my HB, it's 35°C outside and this week-end it should be 40°C (last month it was barely 20°C, crazy weather)

Lear

One of the Regulars
You were born to wear that jacket mate :eusa_clap. On some people these shorter jackets can seem a little girly. This is definitely not the case here. You wear it like Daniel Craig. Your wide shoulders and build probably allow you greater leeway than most, but in my opinion the fit is perfect anyway. Sleeve length is such a personal thing, that you'll never have two people agreeing on correct length. I now go for longer sleeves on winter coats and shorter on fair weather jackets. FQHH rubbing on the outer top wrist can be irritating without a shirt/jumper underneath.

Enjoy

Lear

This isn't an 'off the rack' sized jacket...It's kind of hybrid of a size 48" and a 46"......It's a size 48" jacket in the shoulders, but with a 46" chest...
I asked for the Gunn Ancient lining instead of the Alpaca wool....

Ian

That's what I need! I spent the night emailing with Amanda. I need a 52 shoulder and a small(er) waist line. So it has to taper in. That's the key. I've been sweating the final numbers for weeks now. Thanks for the info Ian. Are you enjoying your FHB? Do you have any thoughts now that it's there and you're wearing it - things you wish you had/had not done?

Scott

I

Ian

I guess it's hard to get that perfect fit esp. if you don't conform to the norm....lift weights etc....Ideally we'd all go to Aero and have them measure us up and go for a refit......I definately recommend getting a good tailor to measure all your sizes and send them to Aero...my tailor didn't even charge me..

I really can't think of anything I would change....I might have to ask Aero for an off-cut of FQHH for when the new leather smell subsides....or just get another one...:eusa_doh:

Ian

Get another one. That way I fell less guilt when I ask my "boss" :)
I've always had trouble getting clothes that fit. From size 14 shoes to 52long jackets. That's why I'm sweating this order. I know they'll redo it if it's wrong, but I can't wait a year!

Brando11

A-List Customer
Gents, you've been a wealth of information. Thx very much-
I just ordered my 1st Aero from Mark Moye; an extra long HB Deluxe in Vintage Black FQHH. After looking at all the available tartan linings, over 500 of them, none appealed to me any more than the stock Black Watch, so that will be the lining. Antique brass dbl zipper so I can open the bottom whilst in the car, and a storm flap to conceal the zipper.
Now comes the waiting-

Gents, you've been a wealth of information. Thx very much-
I just ordered my 1st Aero from Mark Moye; an extra long HB Deluxe in Vintage Black FQHH. After looking at all the available tartan linings, over 500 of them, none appealed to me any more than the stock Black Watch, so that will be the lining. Antique brass dbl zipper so I can open the bottom whilst in the car, and a storm flap to conceal the zipper.
Now comes the waiting-

Congrats! But where did you find 500 linings to look at??

Brando11

A-List Customer
Thank you. It's VERY easy to get carried away with options. I almost specified the Hercules pocket treatment, an inside pocket, button and strap neck closure, etc. until I realized that this is such a great design on it's own. The few additions I did ask for are more functional in nature.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Yessir, Butte. Click on the link I listed above- http://lochcarron.com/reiver.htm

You can select from any of the 500+ tartans shown for a $50 (as of this posting) upcharge. Hard to believe there are that many, and it probably takes the discerning eye of a Scotsman to distinguish between many of them, but they're there!

Thx-
-Brando

Last edited:

Sweep

New in Town
Hi All,
I'm new on here so don't take it the wrong way, but all the talk of changing arm length, back length, etc puts the fear of God into me after i've just ordered my own black Highwayman. I think Ian's advise of employing a tailors measuring skills is sound, though I think Will at Aero will adjust these from his experience to compensate for the inevitable shortening as creases in the elbow appear, so just tell him the measurements he asks for and don't second guess him.
I was fortuante enough to be able to call into the factory last week and get measured by the Man himself and even I am questioning my choices so it must be a nightmare when you try and measure yourself.
As for the visit, well, all I can say is that Will is a man with an absolute passion for the products he makes, and the history and heritage of the military jackets in his collection, which was obvious during the one hour I spent in his company.
And as for the jackets, well, I had only ever seen pictures of Aero's before I visited but, having now seen them, it was impossible to even imagine the quality of these products without seeing them in the (horse) flesh.
£620 is never easy to spend but don't flinch at the price, as there is nothing that comes close by any mass produced high street or fashion brand. I can, however, understand why some people on here have a gripe about the price if they have never had the fortune to handle one of these masterpieces, and have only ever seen them in pictures, I was the same, but in hindsight, now I am a convert, all I can say is I cannot understand what the big deal is where people don't seem to bat an eyelid paying more on 'big name' fashion jackets, or highstreet fashion jackets around the £300 mark. I have an Oliver Sweeney 'Barnstormer' style jacket in tan which I got in the sale a few years ago reduced from £750 to £450 which doesn't come close in thickness and grade of the hide, and quality of construction.
As I was interested on how they wear in, Will allowed me to try on one of his own black Highwayman, which was, he said, around 20 years old; stunning. The creases on the inside of the elbow were fully developed and were reason enough to commit to buy; I just hope I live long enough to get mine in the same order. Besides the naturally developed patina, the zip was original and functioning perfectly, the tartan liming was without tears, the natural colour of the brown hide was leaching through the black which looked awesome, and the pocket linings were still intact.

So the countdown begins: T- 12 weeks and counting

...Sweep

s_crumb

Familiar Face
Congrats on the jacket Ian. It looks great. It makes me hopeful for my LHB. I can't believe you got your jacket in 12 weeks or so. I kept thinking these guys are crazy, they won't get them that quick. I've been waiting since January for mine.

Congrats on the jacket Ian. It looks great. It makes me hopeful for my LHB. I can't believe you got your jacket in 12 weeks or so. I kept thinking these guys are crazy, they won't get them that quick. I've been waiting since January for mine.

Have you contacted them? Doesn't seem right.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Yessir, Butte. Click on the link I listed above- http://lochcarron.com/reiver.htm

You can select from any of the 500+ tartans shown for a $50 (as of this posting) upcharge. Hard to believe there are that many, and it probably takes the discerning eye of a Scotsman to distinguish between many of them, but they're there!

Thx-
-Brando

Mark told me the Strome (heavy) weights are $50 too. One thing I noticed is not all tartans in the reiver weight are available in the strome weight and vice versa. Some of the patterns differ slightly too between the reiver and strome even though they have the same name.

http://lochcarron.com/stromesw.htm

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Ian: Congratulations on the new jacket. I knew "nothing" about good leather riding jackets until I came accross TFL by accident. My first was a "nearly new" second hand Aero Bootlegger that I dearly love. Never knew horsehide leather jackets could be so perfect. ( I was lucky ). Enjoy and wear in good safe health!---John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24