Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kakadu Trailmaster Clone

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars

I've sort of been admiring the Trialmaster from afar, seeing as I'd never drop what Belstaff want on a jacket, the Kakadu Nelson caught my eye.

I know it's not 100%.

What do you guys think of the Kakadu. Anybody have one and can review? How do the sizes run?

It's currently about $150 incl shipping in the UK and maybe slightly less if bought direct from Australia depending on what they charge for shipping and then the possibility of customs/duty.

Twit

One of the Regulars
That doesnt look bad, but its difficult to tell from the pic. I saw another copy at the classic bike show last weekend which was selling at £99.00 which I didnt think was bad and it looked ok.

That said you can get a 'new' Belstaff from here for £330.00:

http://www.holden.co.uk/

I have one of these and wear it on the old bikes etc, it is properly waxed and after a couple of years or so is now wearing really well. It is expensive but look after it and it will outlast me, so I reckon 300 quid for 40-50 years of wear isnt abad deal! its certainly better buying from here than the actual belstaff shop. I have been in the shop on Conduit St and have seen the same jacket at much closer to 500 quid, that is if you can find it in there as its turned more into a fashion shop.

Edward

Bartender
It does look more like an international - though to be fair, if memory serves the original Trailmasters also had the slanted pocket, a design feature that changed in more recent years.

I'm inclined towards a Barbour international myself; these are widely available online in the UK, including via several retailers who sell through eBay, for about £189 new. Seem to me to be as good as the Belstaffs, but with +/-GBP100 off the price and - to my eye - with the slanted pocket they are closer to the vintage designs.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Twit, is this what you saw at the bike show?

http://www.chequeredflaguk.com/
Click on item 3

Apparently its 12 ounce.

My girlfriend wears an ‘Italian’ Belstaff Trialmaster which is 10 ounce.

My Barbour International is a mere 8 ounce.

So they seem good value.

I would say the Belstaff with its zip out lining and CE protection is more of a jacket to wear on its own. The lighter International is more an over a leather jacket coat. If of course one is talking about riding.

I bought the Barbour because of its heritage, the motorcycling connection and it’s still made in the same factory as it was 70 years ago. And the Belstaff for its protection. So if that’s not important to you then the above looks even better value?

James

Twit

One of the Regulars
Yes, thats it, I was looking for it earlier and just found an advert in Classic Motorcycle. At the show I thought it looked pretty good, certainly for the price.

I have to say I prefer the Belstaff to the Barbour simply because the shoulders on the Belstaff are squarer than the Barbour; although the Barbour is the more authentic jacket, being that the design hasnt changed. I only wear my Belstaff on the AJS, in the same as I only wear my Davida and goggles etc on that bike; on the modern everyday bikes I wear modern gear. On the AJS I am rarely above 40MPH and in the event of an accident I'll take my chances. Conversly, I did St Albans to Reading last night in under an hour at signifcantly higher speed; if the worse happened I'd want something tougher than the Belstaff!!!

As a complete aside at the show I tried on a Lewis Dominator, lovely jacket but not cheap, I'm having an inner dilemma as to whether I 'need' a 600 quid jacket... I think I do!!!!

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Mmm, I think I'm going to end up with a Barbour. Especially as they have a shorter fitting version now.

What are the thoughts on all the new versions the 'flyweight' and 'Non waterproof' ?? They seem to range from 4oz to 6 to 12 for the original waxed.

Guys in the UK do any of the dept stores carry them? Debenham's maybe so I can go and try one on for size?

Sharpe

New in Town
Twit said:
That doesnt look bad, but its difficult to tell from the pic. I saw another copy at the classic bike show last weekend which was selling at £99.00 which I didnt think was bad and it looked ok.

That said you can get a 'new' Belstaff from here for £330.00:

http://www.holden.co.uk/

I have one of these and wear it on the old bikes etc, it is properly waxed and after a couple of years or so is now wearing really well. It is expensive but look after it and it will outlast me, so I reckon 300 quid for 40-50 years of wear isnt abad deal! its certainly better buying from here than the actual belstaff shop. I have been in the shop on Conduit St and have seen the same jacket at much closer to 500 quid, that is if you can find it in there as its turned more into a fashion shop.

Are they genuine belstaff? why are they so much cheaper than normal?

Ah..because they're not the leather ones? Or are these old models (new old stock?)

Twit

One of the Regulars
Yes they are genuine and they are new but as you say waxed cotton not leather. Also, those ones come with bike armour in them for riding, I just took it out, as I'd never use the jacket on any fast bikes! I actually got mine from that site, ordered it and it arrived two days later, no problems!

Twit

One of the Regulars
Kt Templar said:
Guys in the UK do any of the dept stores carry them? Debenham's maybe so I can go and try one on for size?

You live near Wimbledon??

Get yourself to piccadilly, there are two barbour shops there and both have internationals in stock. Failing that there is a barbour shop in windsor or in the conference centre in Islington.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Thanks Twit!

I went and tried on one of the 'feather weight' short internationals at the Barbour shop in Regent's Street, near Piccadilly Circus... The sleeves were still about an inch too long for me, oh well. Really was not sure about the fabric, very soft and 'fashion' orientated. Was a bit like a lady's raincoat. I still might look into getting one in the heavyweight waxed cotton if it is available. I couldn't get an answer out of the saleman as to if they made one or not.

I had a little laugh to myself when I noticed the salesman had noticed my custom Wested and how well it fitted when I put that back on after deciding not to buy the International!

Barchetta52

New in Town
Waxed International

I recently purchased the waxed cotton International jacket (You know they only make those one day a year at Barbour) from a delaer (stockist) in Maine, USA. I could not be more pleased. It's a perfect fit. Additionally, I see why it or the Belstaff were preferred motorcycle gear for so many decades.

Fortunately, I went to the Orvis store here in Dallas to try one on - and purchase - if they had it in stock. They didn't, but I tried on the Commando. Lucky thing, too. I've lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years and I would have ordered the wrong size. Previously, I wore a 50/52 jacket, but the 44 Barbour is just perfect.

Orvis did carry the featherweight, and that would never do.

Well, that's my my opinon, anyway. lol

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have the International. It IS a thin coat-for actual wear on a motorcycle, you are going to need something warm on underneath,or you are going to be cold, as I was on a ride several days ago.

That said, does anyone actually have one of these Kakadu Nelson jackets? I'm wondering what size I should get.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Well, too late-I ordered one (found a size chart for these coats). I may be more inclined to sew patches on a $100 coat than a $400 one.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Well, it took a while to get my Kakadu Nelson,due to a few mixups, but it came today,and I'm pleased. It matches up well with my International,both in looks ,weight,and general overall feel. Certainly it doesn't have the cachet of a Barbour, but I think Kakadu has a bit of their own cachet going,too-I like a lot of the things they sell.
The Nelson has a double slide zipper,so you can open it a bit at the bottom. Useful when sitting on a bike,but suprisingly,the Barbour doesn't have this-just a single-slide zipper. I like the heavier-duty belt buckle on the Nelson,too-all metal with a roller. The Barbour has a thin plastic buckle. Both of them have envelope pockets,where the opening folds over and snaps shut. The Barbour has that very noticeable 'International' patch on the front, while the Nelson has the Kakadu symbol of two kangaroos embroidered above the front lower pocket,in black,so it is noticeable only close-up. The Nelson has two double rings on the collar to secure the neck strap,like a motorcycle helmet, while the Barbour has an actual buckle.

I like both jackets,for different reasons,although at least for the time being,the Kakadu is going to be my everyday MC jacket. We'll see how it does.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
The company I ordered mine from told me these jackets are a bit difficult to get hold of-they don't make too many of them,and they sell out immediately.

taggers

New in Town
As far as the "Lightweight" question goes, I've got a pukka International and a lightweight Cowan Commando.

I wear the Cowan when I'm out surveying or doing landscape stuff, it's light waterproof and tough... but it's not pukka.

Not pukka at all. Good field jacket, but I'm not going to the pub in it.

Edward

Bartender
Hunted around looking for places selling the Kakadu Nelson. So far, only found one that delivers to the UK, loooking at USD191 or so, once shipping is accounted for. Is that about right, or is there a better deal available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24